S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

excessive heat under hood

Old 05-20-2018, 06:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default excessive heat under hood

Am receiving excessive heat under the hood. My coolant temp is sub 190s on average. I'm running a 6266 precision turbo. I was running on q16 am now retuning on E85

Driving around for about 15 min then to open the hood there seams to be an extreme amount of heat.

I have considered modifying the hood for vents. Anyone have any ideas on how to cut down under hood temps? I have some concerns with the amplitude of heat.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:10 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

What makes you think it's "excessive?" Lots of heat comes out when I open my hood as well. Especially when it's hot outdoors as it is these days.

-- Chuck
Old 05-20-2018, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having similar issues, my solution is to vent the oem hood paired with a kings nose vent. Does it work? No idea as I am working on it atm, but I believe the Concept is sound.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:33 AM

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

I use to have that issue. My hood would get so hot you could literally cook food on it. I bought some fiberglass reinforced stick-on heat shielding from amazon. Put it on my shock tower and on the bottom side of the hood. That stuff is amazing. My hood stays cool now.

That and DEI exhaust wrap on the manifold and dp and I have zero heat issues. My rad fans have no issue keeping the coolant temps at 189 and below
Old 05-20-2018, 08:17 AM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DemiSlayer
Am receiving excessive heat under the hood. My coolant temp is sub 190s on average. I'm running a 6266 precision turbo. I was running on q16 am now retuning on E85

Driving around for about 15 min then to open the hood there seams to be an extreme amount of heat.

I have considered modifying the hood for vents. Anyone have any ideas on how to cut down under hood temps? I have some concerns with the amplitude of heat.
Here's some data from my DIY hood vent job.

Project S2000: Part 23. Testing Air Temps Through Coolers and Vents
Old 05-20-2018, 09:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Charper732
I use to have that issue. My hood would get so hot you could literally cook food on it. I bought some fiberglass reinforced stick-on heat shielding from amazon. Put it on my shock tower and on the bottom side of the hood. That stuff is amazing. My hood stays cool now.

That and DEI exhaust wrap on the manifold and dp and I have zero heat issues. My rad fans have no issue keeping the coolant temps at 189 and below
Do u have pics?

Engine temp was one of the reason why I went with pfab topount instead of front mount. Less surface of the turning manifold.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:45 PM

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by nguyen365
Do u have pics?

Engine temp was one of the reason why I went with pfab topount instead of front mount. Less surface of the turning manifold.
Don't really have any pics of the hood, but I only covered from where the manifold is to the edge of the hood.
Here is the stuff I used. I highly recommend it. I've had it on for about a year now and none of it has come unstuck.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029KC2K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029KC2K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The pic I do have you can see where I covered the shock tower to save my shock from absorbing all that heat.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pics don't work :-(
Old 05-20-2018, 11:35 PM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

If your budget allowed then I would recommend the Mugen, J's or Spoon hoods with pre cut vents that are stylish and functional. If not those then you could go the stock hood cutting route like many have done before. Heat wrapping as many of the heat producing components as possible coupled with a vented hood would work wonders for cooling.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Currently the headers have been coated internal and ceramic coating on exterior along with heat wrapping. i am using a heat spacer to the intake manifold. Radiator is a mishimoto with dual fans. There is also a carbon fiber front shroud cover of which i have been considering removing.

i have verified that coolant is flowing properly through the engine.

What i mean by excessive heat is its dramatically hotter then most turbo vehicles i have worked on. its hotter then some cars i have ran on my dyno for a number of hours vs driving this thing for 15-20min around the block with no boost.

I am also considering an oil cooler.

Quick Reply: excessive heat under hood