S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

S200 Broomstick Rule - Southeast US

Old 07-18-2018, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S200 Broomstick Rule - Southeast US

ello everyone.

I'm new here, current owner of a 2003 Corvette targa six speed. I've always wanted an S2000 and am currently talking to an owner of an AP2 about a trade. We test drove each other's cars yesterday and both came away satisfied, as both my car and his are very well taken care of and in great, mostly stock condition.

I have one hesitation: I like to track. Obviously there are implications with convertibles and the broomstick rule. I am 6'2" and there's no way I will pass, with or without a helmet, in stock form. Even with seat modifications/roll bar I'm skeptical. The thing is, this is my only car (I have a company provided truck for work), so I would like to keep it close to stock, making it decent on the street as well as track.

So my question is this: are there any tracks/organizations within a few hours drive of Charlotte, NC where one can go participate in HPDE without passing the broomstick test? I've been reading up on this but it's hard to find any real information.

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2018, 08:57 AM

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

First off I will say that I'm not in the South East so I can't point to specific organizations.

However, around here (midwest) many organizations state that if you have factory roll-over protection then you are safe to participate, they often call out the S2000 as an example of that. SOME will say you still need to pass the broomstick test, but I've never seen it enforced around here and I tracked for years with no roll bar and factory roll over and I didn't come close to passing broomstick test. EDIT: I don't think you'll find any org that will advertise that they will let you on track without passing the broomstick test.

The thing is that you need to understand the risk you are taking by doing that. I'm not going to lecture you on the risks, I'm assuming you understand the risks, but I will say that you need to bear in mind when you assume the risk that a roll over could be caused by something beyond your immediate control, a tire failure, a part failure, another driver being an idiot, or fluid dropped on the track that you can't see.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:10 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

You should get a Harddog roll bar (much higher than the stock roll hoops) and lower your stock seats using BYS rails. You'll have no problems after that and you keep the stock characteristics of the car.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:37 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you don't care about the safety part of things, then you could get a hardtop and would be less prone to scrutiny. A hardtop wouldn't exempt you from any track or club rules since it doesn't provide any rollover protection, but they'd be less likely to call you out for a broomstick test.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm certainly aware of the safety implications... I'm a bit weary of roll bars on a street driven car, as the risks of head injury from the bar are higher IMO. I think the track is pretty safe, but obviously things can happen. I wouldn't actually wheel to wheel race or anything without all of the proper gear, but this would be a street driven car year round with four or five days at the track in the mix.

I will look into the Harddog bar and the hard top though.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by D Griff
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm certainly aware of the safety implications... I'm a bit weary of roll bars on a street driven car, as the risks of head injury from the bar are higher IMO. I think the track is pretty safe, but obviously things can happen. I wouldn't actually wheel to wheel race or anything without all of the proper gear, but this would be a street driven car year round with four or five days at the track in the mix.

I will look into the Harddog bar and the hard top though.
There is a couple of track oriented and race S2000 in Charlotte where you may try sitting inside.

I'm in Columbia SC. I have a rockstar/hard dog roll bar in my, with hard top and sparco circuit halo seat on fixed PCI seat mount. I'm 6'0". You can try sitting in my car if you like, but it is set up for my dimensions.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:14 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

They all require you to take the broomstick test as part of your tech inspection, but I've never seen it verified at the track.

There are many tracks within 5 hours of Charlotte: CMS, CMP, VIR, RdAtl, AMP, & RRR. Unfortunately, there is only one that will allow you on track without a roll bar. That is CMP just north of Columbia, SC, and that's just the track's rule. In addition to the track, you will need to clear it with the event organizer that has their own rules stipulated by their insurance policy.

If you get an S2000 and don't add the roll bar, you will miss out on some amazing tracks. Also, before you cut up a nice street car, check around for a track prepared S2000. You might be surprised.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:28 PM

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by will010100
They all require you to take the broomstick test as part of your tech inspection, but I've never seen it verified at the track.

There are many tracks within 5 hours of Charlotte: CMS, CMP, VIR, RdAtl, AMP, & RRR. Unfortunately, there is only one that will allow you on track without a roll bar. That is CMP just north of Columbia, SC, and that's just the track's rule. In addition to the track, you will need to clear it with the event organizer that has their own rules stipulated by their insurance policy.

If you get an S2000 and don't add the roll bar, you will miss out on some amazing tracks. Also, before you cut up a nice street car, check around for a track prepared S2000. You might be surprised.
AMP does not require roll bar for our cars. At least with the group I ran with...
Old 07-20-2018, 07:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am 6 1 and with a roll bar and BYS lowered rail I fit in under the broomstick with no issue. A hardtop on this config also helps avoid scrutiny.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

6'2''
- To pass broom test I needed
- RSG Roll Bar, BYS lowered rail, and trimming of the seat cushion

Quick Reply: S200 Broomstick Rule - Southeast US