S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP2 Transmission Rebuilt, notchy gears when cold

Old 08-21-2018, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP2 Transmission Rebuilt, notchy gears when cold

Hi there, I will list everything done until now. I own a AP2 since 5 years. Past 2 years I've Rebuilt my transmission and reopened it several times as I have a bad and ugly notchy feeling as I shift the 3rd, 4th, 5th and sometimes 6th gears …

I did a full transmission rebuilt because it had 150 000kms and the 2nd was blown. Every gear sets replaced ( synchros, sliders etc.) I even changed the gears as they were worn. Replaced the forks, every bearings. Input shaft end play adjusted to 0.006'' and secondary shaft was preloaded as the specs from the manual. Brand new clutch was installed the year before, OEM disc, Honda pilot and release bearings, ACT pressure plate and flywheel resurfaced. Master and Slave cylinders replaced because they did leak. So, basically, I have a brand new transmission, fully rebuilt to OEM specs with brand new Honda parts and brand new clutch kit. I tried every possible MTF oils, Honda MTF (currently in), Royal purple MTF, GM synchromesh, Amsoil MTF etc and they all felt the same. I can assure you there is no air in the clutch release system and the shifter has been regreased.

Everytime I shift slowly into 3rd, 4th, 5tth and 6th gear I get a notchy catch from the gears… its really irritating… Before rebuilting the transmission, even if my 2nd gear synchros was done, every other gears were smooth as hell !!! I had the money so I decided to replace everything at the same time… Bad decision I guess.

I then decided to buy another transmission and used clutch kit from another guy parting out his AP2. I thought it would be nice trying another transmission without those irritating shifts… by the time I could figure out what is wrong with mine, and guess what ?? Even with his transmission and clutch, I did get the same notchy shifts, exactly the same way !

My boss owns a same year AP2 with 147 000kilos and it shifts even better than my fully rebuilt tranny… and his clutch is slipping.. loll.

I feel like my clutch might not be releasing properly when I shift. The gears don't grind, they just feel so metallic, like if I was shifting the tranny without oil. Shifts feel okay if I shift without the clutch, no grind.

I checked my crank end play I as thought it might be too loose to be pulled back when the clutch was pressed but it seems like the end play is right in the specs at 0.010''

Anyone can help me… I considering selling the car as that motherF*****g problem just pisses me off and I just cant calculate how many hours I've put into trying things to fix this thing…
plz….
Old 08-21-2018, 09:30 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Ive run 4 different trans in this car both ap1 and ap2, and all of them felt notchy to varying degrees and would be quite dynamic fluctuating the notchiness degree on any given day. The smoothest trans I have run is my current ap1 which has a heavy weighted skunk2 shift knob and that seems to be the magic missing piece making the difference. All you can do is make sure your getting the master cylinder adjustment for max disengagement - even remove the floor bump stop if needed) and a weighted shift nob makes the shifts like butter compared to stock.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 08-21-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:36 AM

I don't know, I'm a bit sceptical about having a heavier knob that the notchiness will be less noticeable…
Old 08-23-2018, 03:12 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

A heavier shift knob (~500g) wont make any real transmission problems go away but it improves the shifting feel considerably.
Doesn't need to be any fancy skank stuff, I got one of these on my car and its great https://www.ebay.com/itm/112831571693
Try it
Old 08-23-2018, 04:30 AM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

First rule out it being your clutch or the tranny. Can you shift the trans just by rev matching and no clutch?

Also I see no mention of clutch free play adjustment...
Old 08-23-2018, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by starchland
First rule out it being your clutch or the tranny. Can you shift the trans just by rev matching and no clutch?

Also I see no mention of clutch free play adjustment...
freeplay as been adjusted, sorry, forgot to mention this as I did pretty much everything on that car... And yes, I can shift the gears easily by rev match with no clutch !
Old 08-23-2018, 11:41 AM

Gotta be something in the clutch engagement that is the problem. Everything greased properly, adjusted correctly, nothing bent, or worn, clutch disc guide is not worn? MAke sure you have a little free play in the pedal

Last edited by starchland; 08-23-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by starchland
Gotta be something in the clutch engagement that is the problem. Everything greased properly, adjusted correctly, nothing bent, or worn, clutch disc guide is not worn? MAke sure you have a little free play in the pedal
everything replaced, even clutch fork, release bearing sliding tube, fork hanger.... this is why im asking other opinions loll, ive done all...
Old 08-23-2018, 02:04 PM

Have a seasoned s2ker take a look at the car and give you a second opinion is my suggestion
Old 08-23-2018, 03:17 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a wot shifting notchiness problem with a s2k I bought, turned out the prev. owner installed flywheel wasn't stepped correctly.
after replacing it with a complete Exedy hyper single clutch kit (flywheel and clutch comes in a package, so no way anyone can f it up.), it was fixed.

Quick Reply: AP2 Transmission Rebuilt, notchy gears when cold