S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Mugen Hardtop -- Painting / Wrapping?

Old 09-05-2018, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mugen Hardtop -- Painting / Wrapping?

Hey all,

I'm looking for opinions. I bought something I've wanted for 5+ years 7+ years, a carbon Mugen top.

For 1) aesthetics and 2) security I want it black. The top is authentic.

I've never had anything wrapped; does it leave a residue? Will it harm the clear coat over time?

Would I be destroying the top's value by having it painted? I'm never planning on selling it, but you never know.

At this point in time, I'm leaning towards painting. What would you do?

Last edited by ls1->s2k; 09-05-2018 at 09:20 PM. Reason: I've had my car longer than I thought lmao
Old 09-07-2018, 03:29 AM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Neither, on an authentic carbon version. If that was your plan, you should have saved the time and money on an FRP model. Wrapping would be the better of the two options, since it’s reversible. Not sure why you would want to cover up the craftsmanship of a carbon top? Biased and concerned opinion of a fellow Mugen hardtop owner.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:36 AM

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

So did you get the top for weight savings? Or for the sake of saying you own one?
Old 09-08-2018, 11:32 AM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I would wrap it if it was me, I like the look of a black top on all colors.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:39 PM

Received 3,390 Likes on 2,461 Posts

to do a proper paint job on a hardtop you need to disassemble it with all of the seals and weatherstripping. I did that and the shop I used lost many of the parts which are near impossible to replace. I would suggest wrapping it, at least keep the side pieces exposed carbon fibre, it looks nice that way IMO.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:45 AM
Site Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 302 Posts

Wrap for sure. I believe good wrap shouldn't leave any residue and if it does thats more easily cleaned off than paint is.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tama05
Neither, on an authentic carbon version. If that was your plan, you should have saved the time and money on an FRP model. Wrapping would be the better of the two options, since it’s reversible. Not sure why you would want to cover up the craftsmanship of a carbon top? Biased and concerned opinion of a fellow Mugen hardtop owner.
I don't want anyone to know what it is. I also don't want the finish to be exposed to the elements. Don't get me wrong, the craftsmanship is absolutely perfect, but I also find exterior exposed carbon to look kind of out of place.

Originally Posted by Nfinitecc
I would wrap it if it was me, I like the look of a black top on all colors.
Same. It's the classic japanese aesthetic.

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
to do a proper paint job on a hardtop you need to disassemble it with all of the seals and weatherstripping. I did that and the shop I used lost many of the parts which are near impossible to replace. I would suggest wrapping it, at least keep the side pieces exposed carbon fibre, it looks nice that way IMO.
Not really a concern as I haven't assembled the top yet. I would only give a paint shop the main portion.

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
Wrap for sure. I believe good wrap shouldn't leave any residue and if it does thats more easily cleaned off than paint is.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:08 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The only 2 options you should be considering for a CF Mugen is clear bra or a second clear coat. But if you're set on color matching it then just wrap it since its easily reversible.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:52 PM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by B KOO
The only 2 options you should be considering for a CF Mugen is clear bra or a second clear coat. But if you're set on color matching it then just wrap it since its easily reversible.
And why is that?? I hate the look of a solid carbon top IDGAF who makes it, Mugen is Honda parts not Ferrari parts lol
Old 09-14-2018, 07:04 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^

Because this "Honda" part costs 7 grand? He said he only wants to paint it black for security so nobody knows what it is. That's not really necessary since people will be looking to steal it no matter if its CF, painted, whatever

Quick Reply: Mugen Hardtop -- Painting / Wrapping?