S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Öhlins DFV vs Buddy Club Sport Spec

Old 09-21-2018, 11:44 AM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Öhlins DFV vs Buddy Club Sport Spec

I'm trying to decide between the two coilovers. Price is not a limiting factor.
Does anyone have experience with both on their S2000? The fellas at LHT in Florida swear by the Buddy Club's but I've read a ton of great reviews on the Ohlins and like the brand.
I've looked for this specific compare on here but was unable to find anything - maybe there is content but couldn't find it.
Thanks!
Old 09-21-2018, 12:03 PM

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

It's not even a comparison. I had the Buddy Club Racing Spec on my car before I sold them for the SakeBombGarage spec Ohlins.

The Buddy Clubs rode way too stiff at any setting past a couple clicks from full soft. It was seriously uncomfortable and made me hate the car. If you turned the shocks down to soft the ride was marginally reasonable but mid-corner bumps still upset the car, and the usable adjustability range is almost none. The quality was a notch below as well. The shock bodies were painted but will rust. While you're talking about the Sport Spec which is different than the Racing Spec I'm sure much of my comments transfer.

The Ohlins have a magical quality of being comfortable and compliant at a higher spring rate than the Buddy Clubs, but retain the benefits of stiffer spring rates like reduced body motion. It handles mid-corner bumps well and the shock adjustments make real differences in how it handles. The shock bodies are ?aluminum? - the corrosion resistance is way better and the overall quality of the coilover is top notch.

If money is no object, the Ohlins are by far the better coilover.
The following users liked this post:
S2Tdriver (02-24-2024)
Old 09-21-2018, 12:33 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Haven't run the buddy clubs but after having Ksports then Top Secret Aragosta coilovers with swift spring and now custom valved Ohlins with 14k springs the Ohlins ride better than an of the prior setups I had even with the much stiffer spring. Like ThreeD said if cost is no object I would go with custom spec'd Ohlins.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:45 PM

Thanks guys. I was leaning towards the Ohlins but because I respect the fellas at LHT Performance wanted to get some other opinions on the buddy clubs.
Ohlins just released a revised version of the DFV's which seems to be causing some head scratching. I think I may pick up the previous version HOS MI20 vs the new HOS MI21
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-br...-mi21-1187494/
Old 09-22-2018, 09:56 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by ThreeD
It's not even a comparison. I had the Buddy Club Racing Spec on my car before I sold them for the SakeBombGarage spec Ohlins.

The Buddy Clubs rode way too stiff at any setting past a couple clicks from full soft. It was seriously uncomfortable and made me hate the car. If you turned the shocks down to soft the ride was marginally reasonable but mid-corner bumps still upset the car, and the usable adjustability range is almost none. The quality was a notch below as well. The shock bodies were painted but will rust. While you're talking about the Sport Spec which is different than the Racing Spec I'm sure much of my comments transfer.

The Ohlins have a magical quality of being comfortable and compliant at a higher spring rate than the Buddy Clubs, but retain the benefits of stiffer spring rates like reduced body motion. It handles mid-corner bumps well and the shock adjustments make real differences in how it handles. The shock bodies are ?aluminum? - the corrosion resistance is way better and the overall quality of the coilover is top notch.

If money is no object, the Ohlins are by far the better coilover.
That wasnt my experience with the buddy club race spec at all, quite the contrary. Ive been on the same set for the last 10 years and over 150k miles, even went up from the stock 10k springs to 14k in the last 50k and finally last season shipped them off for a basic rebuild. Top notch single adjustble damper. Very compliant to very stiff, all depends how you set them, making sure you are not riding the bump stops prematurely so you can get enough travel to let the damper work. They are arguably more robust for track work out of the box compared to the dfv controlling a beavier spring rate without custom revalving. The dfv due to thier high speed compression circuit are going to feel a bit more absorbant on the street in regular driving overall, as they are more sophisticated in that damping circuit. Id be suprised if they actually netting much in the way of laptime performance though on a decent track.

As for the sport specs im not sure how they perform as they are a newer addition to the buddy club line up. Ive gathered they fall inbeetween the entry level N+ and the race specs.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 09-22-2018 at 10:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MrFunk (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 05:18 PM

^^ Thanks for that. More food for thought.