Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Anyone bought or leased anything recently?

Old 09-30-2018, 03:31 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Anyone bought or leased anything recently?

I'm rapidly approaching the point where I will reset my car ownership

At the heart of that will be some everyday hack that I want to be comfortable, reliable and ok to drive

So as I'm not a fan of motoring journalists and publications I'm interested in hearing about any recent real world purchases/leases of non-exotic, non sporting cars

The general ownership experience, costs, etc

The only things I'm ruling out (because I've driven a few) are the tiny engined cars (like 1.0 boosted offerings by Ford and Vauxhall among others), diesels and electric vehicles. Also I can't see the point in a dull(ish) saloon, not they make many any more - so hatch, estate or SUV are what I'm thinking

I'm thinking there might be some good cars out there that I would never have considered

I won't need any help with the exciting stuff
Old 09-30-2018, 04:03 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

I'm very much enjoying my Golf GTI. It comes with all the toys, although specify the Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC) and run it in "Comfort" mode. Also specify the automatic (DSG) gearbox for ultimate waftability. The radar cruise makes it incredibly easy to drive - just steer.

It does all the usual Golf stuff very well, too. sure, it's a bit bland, but that's sort of the point.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:23 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

If you want dull get a Qashqai..otherwise don't. Funless.

I'd get a 135i or 140i as a daily
Old 10-01-2018, 02:18 AM
Banned

I don't really want anything too pokey. I can see the pattern of driving I'll be doing going forward and on a daily basis any real performance is going to be unnecessary. Practicality, reliability and comfort are more important and I will have a Sunday toy or two. Driving slower cars is also good for the blood pressure as you just opt out of the daily shenanigans. I think if I had the Golf GTi I'd want the R and with a 240 I'd want the M - gets me nowhere so less performance and maximum practicality.

Funny you should mention a Qashqai as my other half has a Juke. She loves it and I can see why as it offers a good view of the road, is practical, well equipped and ok to drive. She doesn't care about the dynamics and neither do I with a daily. It's that purchase which has led me to considering SUVs. Not the behemoths though as they fail on all counts when it comes to practicality. I don't want something that's a pain to park on tyres that cost £250 a corner and is perceived as 'bad' by huge numbers if people.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:11 AM

I have been looking at the Forester recently to replace the Nissan. They seem to get positive reviews and are available in different performance brackets but I don't think any are gutless.

Really modern they have gone CVT which is a bit odd with some gearbox simulation idea and flappy paddles which is muchly order

Not driven one yet though..
Old 10-01-2018, 03:18 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

A regular Golf of even a Golf SV would suit your needs very well. My mother has an SV and loves it.

You sit a bit higher than a regular Golf, it has a slightly longer wheelbase so is very comfortable.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lovegroova
A regular Golf of even a Golf SV would suit your needs very well. My mother has an SV and loves it.

You sit a bit higher than a regular Golf, it has a slightly longer wheelbase so is very comfortable.
(ex) friends have suggested a Berlingo...

seriously I was quite surprised by the Juke

I wanted to dislike it but really couldn't

it also has that CVT gearbox which is ok even if you can catch it out at times - say when slowing for a roundabout then accelerating before you stop because you can see it's clear

that's hardly a criticism as every auto I've ever driven can be caught out and in the wrong gear at times

as long as I can fit my zimmer I'll be happy
Old 10-01-2018, 04:43 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

The key is to get a CVT with paddles - I think the HR-V has them.

Since you have the vision and the anticipation an auto cannot yet have, a couple of downclicks prepares it for a spurt onto a roundabout etc.

I generally request Jazz loan cars like that, for that precise reason. It then defaults to full auto after a few seconds, which is convenient. I'm not really interested in gear-changing in a transport box.

I drove a RAV4 recently and that doesn't even have a gearbox as such. The combination of a torquey 2.5 and a battery was surprisingly convincing, as long as you don't want to go fast. Being a Toyota, it was utterly painless to drive and the mass of the battery under the rear seat gave it a surprisingly good balance and seemed to calm the usually-awful SUV ride.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:59 AM

the new Jazz left me pleasantly surprised last time i drove one (its no longer new i guess). I detested the old one but the new version was an OK steed. Probably too small for Gads shotgun and zimmer though in fairness, and bloody expensive for what it is.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:33 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

There is a 1.5 version, but the 1.33 is a rice-pudding de-skinner. The L-series is as rough as a BL E-series and NFU on a motorway.

The Jazz itself is very good overall, and I feel bad for detesting it so much.

Quick Reply: Anyone bought or leased anything recently?