Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are these mixed tire names O.K. on my new to me S2000?

Old 10-18-2018, 05:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Are these mixed tire names O.K. on my new to me S2000?

I just got my first S2K this morning. Very Exciting!

My first tire question is this:

It came with Bridgestone Potenza's on the back and Bridgestone Turanza on the front. Both sets are in nice shape.

Is this anything to worry about? I had always heard it was best to have the same tire all the way around.

Thanks
Old 10-18-2018, 05:52 PM

The Turanzas are more of a touring tire (mileage oriented not ultimate grip or performance) while as the Potenzas are more performance oriented depending on the Potenza version (S04, RE71R, RE980 AS).

Is this a safety concern...not really...it won’t be balanced front to rear but if you drive conservatively then it would be fine. The point is that you bought a performance car, why not put the best performance tires on it?

Personally, I’d buy matching Potenzas and then sell the new Turanzas so you at least have a matching set. This coming from someone who works in the tire industry and not for Bridgestone.

Last edited by GTflyer0116; 10-18-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That is fine until you ready for a new set. Don't go out and race anyone.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:42 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Probably best you have the least grippy tires on the front vs rear of this car, being a new owner. But no, not a safety issue, just wont handle as sharp as it normally would.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:19 AM

Would this setup have anything to do with the “pogo stick bouncing” sensation I felt on some surfaces at 70 mph yesterday?
Old 10-19-2018, 04:04 AM

Tires can sometimes 'flat spot' after sitting in a cool environment for a few days without being driven but generally the flat spot goes away after a few minutes of driving. If the tires were recently put on, it could be a balancing issue at high speed. Or last, it could simply be a loose suspension,worn out bushing, or wheel bearing going out.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:10 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by UpNorthMN
It came with Bridgestone Potenza's on the back and Bridgestone Turanza on the front. Both sets are in nice shape.
Is this anything to worry about? I had always heard it was best to have the same tire all the way around.
I hate the way manufacturers name tires...
There are *many* quite different tires labled "Potenza" and likewise many quite different tires labeled "Turanza". For sure you have differently-performing tires on the front and back of the car, but without more info impossible to say how different they are.

What are the *specific* tires you have (Potenza RE71R?, Turanza EL400-02?)
What is your usage envelope? (possible you might need to drive in cold/snow? Track usage a possibility?)
What do you want out of tires? Max life, max wet and/or dry grip, low noise, comfort, responsiveness, etc.

Tires will have a HUGE impact on how much you enjoy the car and on safety, so it's probably worth figuring out what's best for you and if necessary getting 2 or 4 new tires.

That said if the mismatch isn't too ridic, and decently matched to usage conditions, and you are fine with them, I wouldn't worry about just using them and enjoying the drive...
Old 10-19-2018, 08:17 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by UpNorthMN
Would this setup have anything to do with the “pogo stick bouncing” sensation I felt on some surfaces at 70 mph yesterday?
Jack the car up and check all your damper springs for factory installed rubber isolation spacers

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ta...od-one-629997/
Old 10-19-2018, 08:55 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

If its me, I'd be getting a full set of new tires and a good alignment at oem specs as soon as possible. These two things combined can make a huge difference in the performance and enjoyment of the car.

While your at it check out the suspension components. Pogo stick sounds weird. Get to the bottom of that asap. I don't know if you are used to rear wheel drive sports cars, if not, be careful and drive as if you are on a motorcycle until you get used to the car. It can be a bit of a handful if you are not used to such cars.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:09 AM

Thanks for the advice. I do come from a rear drive background, BMW's, 944's, 968's and the like. But I am going to still take it easy until I get new tires in the spring. We are down to just a few more weeks of driving before it goes into storage.

I only felt the bouncing thing on one road surface but I will look where you advise, and report back.

Quick Reply: Are these mixed tire names O.K. on my new to me S2000?