Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Looking for advice on a potential S2K purchase

Old 07-21-2019, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice on a potential S2K purchase

Hello everyone! I'm brand new to the site, but I've been a long-time admirer of the elegance and performance of the S2000. Now that I finally have the means to afford an S2K, I've started looking to buy one.

I found one near me - a 2006 Suzuka Blue with 75K miles - that looks to be in very good condition. The body has no major issues (no chips, dents or rust damage) and the engine looks in excellent condition (extremely clean). I've done a test drive and the car feels excellent.

The one caveat is that the title is branded "Not Actual Milage". Looking at the carfax report, it was given this title because it was stolen back in 2007 when it had 13K miles on it and when it was found and given to a dealer 4 months later the odometer reading was 17K. Talking about this with a friend who used to own an S2K, he told me that the engine we most likely stripped off then and when the dealer received it, they replaced it.

So, after that long introduction, my question to all of you fellow S2K enthusiasts is: How do you think this "Not Actual Mileage" title would affect the price. A car with the above specs and a clean title would easily command 18 grand or more. But the branded title would significantly lower the price. How much would you guys recommend (if at all) offering for this car?

One last thing to note is that my plan is to own the car for 2-3 years. My wife and I recently got married and we don't plan on having kids for 2-3 years, at which point I would look to sell the car for a larger one. So, I would definitely want to buy a car that holds it's value and that would not be impossible to sell in 3 years' time.

I appreciate any advice you can send my way. Thanks everyone!
Old 07-21-2019, 02:02 PM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Verify the engine VIN if you're curious. See #3 at This Link.

Note position 10, just before the "S" is the year.

New engines were available in 2007.

-- Chuck
The following users liked this post:
Jose Luis Aguayo (07-22-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 07:56 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Jose Luis Aguayo
One last thing to note is that my plan is to own the car for 2-3 years. My wife and I recently got married and we don't plan on having kids for 2-3 years, at which point I would look to sell the car for a larger one. So, I would definitely want to buy a car that holds it's value and that would not be impossible to sell in 3 years' time.
I would recommend you pass. Knowing that you'll be trying to sell it in just a few years I would suggest finding another S2000 to buy — one without a questionable background. If you feel like you really want to follow through with the purchase of this particular car then you'll want to talk them down quite a bit ($14K or less) otherwise you'll likely be the one taking the hit later on.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:57 PM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GuthNW
I would recommend you pass. Knowing that you'll be trying to sell it in just a few years I would suggest finding another S2000 to buy — one without a questionable background. If you feel like you really want to follow through with the purchase of this particular car then you'll want to talk them down quite a bit ($14K or less) otherwise you'll likely be the one taking the hit later on.
Agreed, I would pass on this example. You don't want to spend all that money, and spend all of your time wondering ALL of the "what-if's" of the car's past.

If you're looking at something that's as low as low of 75,000miles, that tells me you've got a healthy budget. Trust me, there are still many many great examples of S2000. These are well made, well engineered cars. If the car's history reflects good maintenance, the car will last.

Mine was a year 2000, purchased at 137,000 miles. Sure, I've replaced some bushings other rubbery stuff, but everything I've replaced are wear items. I can't be happier with my new-old car.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:28 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

I agree with the others as well. Buying a car like this means you should be looking to own it for quite a few years since it will be hard to unload when the situation demands it. You really narrow your market with a branded title or other issues.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone! It seems the title has been "washed" because the Not Actual Mileage (NAM) branding was issued to the title in North Carolina after the car was recovered from being stolen, but when it was brought up here to VA years later, the car was issued a clean title. My plan is to be able to sell the car in 3 years' time, so I think I'll pass on this one since selling it would be a major pain down the line.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jose Luis Aguayo
Thanks for the feedback everyone! It seems the title has been "washed" because the Not Actual Mileage (NAM) branding was issued to the title in North Carolina after the car was recovered from being stolen, but when it was brought up here to VA years later, the car was issued a clean title. My plan is to be able to sell the car in 3 years' time, so I think I'll pass on this one since selling it would be a major pain down the line.
Yeah that's what they all say... I got money on you keeping the S2000 as long as it drives
Old 07-22-2019, 08:13 AM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
Yeah that's what they all say... I got money on you keeping the S2000 as long as it drives
I'm guessing that you don't have a family. While it is nice to be in a position to not have to do so, here are plenty of people who sell their sports car, motorcycle, etc. when they have kids. S2000's aren't exactly what you would call practical and there is little time for them at that stage of life anyway.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:33 AM

I'm guessing that you don't have a family. While it is nice to be in a position to not have to do so, here are plenty of people who sell their sports car, motorcycle, etc. when they have kids. S2000's aren't exactly what you would call practical and there is little time for them at that stage of life anyway.
I have a reliable daily, which allows me to live with something like a S2000. If the S2000 was my ONLY car? There's no way I can live with it. It's also why I always tell people to not spend more than $15,000 on a S2000. Because, man... that's a lot of money to throw at an old and impractical car that you simply will not want to drive every day.

But to answer your question, I do not have a family with kids yet.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:06 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

To be fair my friend who owns an AP1, does have indeeed have a kid. However even his wife wont let him get rid of the S2000. I think it just depends on the stage in life you are in and if owning a sports car is worth it to you.

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on a potential S2K purchase