S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

HELP

Old 07-21-2019, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP

Hey everyone, this is my first post so please forgive me if i’m in the wrong section.

I own a 2003 s2k with 97k miles. Today I did a valve adjustment after getting some misfire codes thrown at me and read on here it might help. Fortunately, it did, but a new problem arose.

Immediately after doing my VA, I got super loud valve ticking and a STRIKINGLY large power loss. It’s like i’m driving a 70hp pickup truck. I mean going up a hill at 63mph in 6th gear and I actually dropped to 62mph while flooring it. In order to even keep up with the flow of traffic after a stop, I have to floor it in the first 4 gears and the car just doesn’t want to GO.

I spec’d both sides to .010 and I now realize this is higher than it should’ve been, but would that account for the crazy power loss?

Side note: I had great compression in cylinder 4, but 185-189 in the other 3. Any help there?
Thanks
Old 07-21-2019, 09:50 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Look up billman's "warning for 06+ dbw drive by wire" thread. He makes a number of posts on what is safe for the different model years.

Though I've never driven am s2k with this specs on the valve lashes, it seems to me something else is going on, spark plug wires damaged/ not installed correctly, etc, or you didn't follow instructions when aligning timing marks on the cam gears prior to adjusting the valve lashes. I'd hold off on driving it further until you can go through the process again, adjust the valve lashes to the correct spec, and double check everything out get someone more knowledgeable to help you.

Watch diyguys YouTube instructions for valve lash adjustments, this video is very helpful for the first timer.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ragtophardtop
Look up billman's "warning for 06+ dbw drive by wire" thread. He makes a number of posts on what is safe for the different model years.

Though I've never driven am s2k with this specs on the valve lashes, it seems to me something else is going on, spark plug wires damaged/ not installed correctly, etc, or you didn't follow instructions when aligning timing marks on the cam gears prior to adjusting the valve lashes. I'd hold off on driving it further until you can go through the process again, adjust the valve lashes to the correct spec, and double check everything out get someone more knowledgeable to help you.

Watch diyguys YouTube instructions for valve lash adjustments, this video is very helpful for the first timer.
Really appreciate it, thank you! I’ll check it out and get back with the results.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:02 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Top tip for valve adjustment:

To avoid messing up the complex alignment marks, ignore them! Instead, just rotate engine (only ever rotate clockwise, tightening the crank bolt. Never reverse!) until valve to be adjusted has its cam lobe point up, 180 away from the follower. I've been doing it this way on Honda motorcycles since the mid 80's. They use the same type of followers and adjustment.

If you aren't fully comfortable doing this, then at the very least as you follow the timing marks, before you touch any adjuster, make sure that valves cam lobe is pointing up! If its not, you messed up the timing marks. Do over.

It isn't hyper critical that the lobe is pointing exactly 180 away. Closed is closed.
The following users liked this post:
SkidPad (07-23-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 07:27 AM

Received 277 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by saintgriz
Immediately after doing my VA, I got super loud valve ticking and a STRIKINGLY large power loss.
Some mistake happpend. Maybe a loose screw. Stop driving and let somebody else check your work again.

@ Car Analogy: Right. On lazy days, i did it also the way you described. Cams point away straight from the Valves and all is O.K.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:53 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Top tip for valve adjustment:

To avoid messing up the complex alignment marks, ignore them! Instead, just rotate engine (only ever rotate clockwise, tightening the crank bolt. Never reverse!) until valve to be adjusted has its cam lobe point up, 180 away from the follower.
Interesting how different processes work for different people. I found following the timing marks easier than judging cam lobe position.

OP, read through this thread, Billman makes a post in this thread on valve lash specs for AP1s:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...2A%2A-1060900/

and watch this video:

Old 07-22-2019, 08:12 AM

Received 277 Likes on 200 Posts

If somebody brings you a bike / car for valve adjustment, you dont have a workshop manual and you dont see any markings at all, "Lobe center point away" works well.

In contrast, the markings on the S2000 are clearly visble.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:50 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Timing marks means you have to turn engine until they align, and keep track of which part of the sequence is for which cylinder.

Cam lobe position you turn engine minimal amount, which saves a bit of time. You just turn until a lobe points up, adjust that one, turn some more until another does, etc. Just need to keep track of which ones you already completed.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:55 AM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Also, I don't think flooring it in 6th going up a hill is a good idea, Healthy motor or not.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't imagine flooring my car if my engine was clearly not working properly. Eek.

Quick Reply: HELP