S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Ford - has a real mess to clean up

Old 07-23-2019, 05:45 AM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts
Default Ford - has a real mess to clean up

https://www.freep.com/in-depth/money...ct/1671198001/

The day following this story, Ford sent out a secret email to its dealers saying they have one week to try to resolve anyone who comes in with transmission issues. Why just a week? Why secret? Who knows.

Most consumers can understand any car maker can have problems but when they learn the car maker knows about the problem before production, still sells them, and then covers it up for a decade by denying the problem - - - well, that's way over the line for the most loyal customers IMHO.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:18 AM

Received 974 Likes on 667 Posts

Nice
Old 07-23-2019, 10:12 AM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Lot of lessons here. Big companies screw up, then too often cover up as individuals worry about losing their jobs or worse. Fear leads to poor decision making and short term thinking. Suppliers also screw up leading to finger pointing that anyone who has worked in the tech sector is familiar with. When government mandates function that pushes technology to its limits, unintended consequences will happen. Communication in large organizations turns into the kids' game of "telephone" as critical information becomes distorted and diluted. And on and on.

My son drives a Fiesta. Fortunately it is an ST and so it has the excellent six-speed manual rather than the dual clutch automatic from hell (or Volkswagen.).
Old 07-23-2019, 05:17 PM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

I'm driving a 2019 Ford Fiesta for the next 10 days as a rental up in Alberta. Least power in a car I've driven in decades! 4000 ASL in Calgary doesn't help. On-line check notes it has the Power-ShitShift transmission. I'll pay attention as I roll some miles on it this week. Seems geared like my S2000: about 3500rpm as 70mph. At 70 it downshifted two gears on a minor grade and I laughed out loud.

This transmission has been crap since the day it came out.

-- Chuck
Old 07-23-2019, 05:42 PM

Received 3,376 Likes on 2,453 Posts

I know all manufacturers have some kind of warranty nightmare scenario, but the domestics always seem a bit worse at these things. I think even the dealers get a raw deal on warranty repairs. Its a sad way to run a company, and Mary Bara can't understand why Ford can't make a profit on car production anymore.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:08 PM

Received 2,533 Likes on 1,528 Posts

This typical for Ford. I have never had a Ford that wasn't trouble and I will NEVER have one again!
Old 07-24-2019, 06:04 AM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
This typical for Ford. I have never had a Ford that wasn't trouble and I will NEVER have one again!
Never say never. I love my Ford F-150. They seem to get it right when it comes to their flagship truck. Although the new one had a transmission issue when it came out, within 6 months they resolved all the issues with it.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:07 AM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

For many years back in the late 80s and early 90s our family hauler was a 1G Taurus wagon, silver over Bordello Red interior. It did suffer a transmission failure after about five years, which was fortunately covered under an extended warranty that I "foolishly" bought during the initial purchase of the car. Otherwise it was trouble free. What's with Ford and automatic transmissions?
Old 07-24-2019, 07:02 AM

Received 2,533 Likes on 1,528 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Never say never. I love my Ford F-150. They seem to get it right when it comes to their flagship truck. Although the new one had a transmission issue when it came out, within 6 months they resolved all the issues with it.
No, I have been burned by them enough! Never, never, never again!
Old 07-24-2019, 09:12 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Manufacturing defects seem to happen a lot. At times manufacturers are willing sell their items knowing of their problems. They figure that the repair and re-engineering costs will be less than the sales profits. Some manufacturers assume the unknowledgeable consumer will pay for repairs, and/or it will be forgotten about or accepted.

Only extraordinary media coverage, large lawsuits, or public outrage are the deterrent for purchasing the item. It’s not necessarily automotive stuff, but here are some examples of manufacture profits in the shadow of failures or hazards:

Samsung television capacitor problems in the early 2000’s.
Takata air bag inflators installed by most all car manufacturers.
Whirlpool close dryer fire dangers.
Kia and Hyundai engine fires.
Ford Pinto gas tank explosions
Chevrolet Vega engine failures.
General Motors ignition shutoff problems.
General Motors SUV's experiencing temporary loss of electronic power-steering assist.
Drug manufacture and distribution knowing of hazards.
The list goes on-and-on…

We are lucky to live in a time where product safety information is much more accessible.

Quick Reply: Ford - has a real mess to clean up