S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Is my suspension bad

Old 08-10-2023, 01:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Is my suspension bad

Hi S2K'ers,

I just picked up a 2008 S2K a few weeks ago with 120k. As far as I can tell, it's all stock. My question is, is the suspension bad? I ask because it sorta rides like it's been lowered, I can feel all the bumps and when it it's anything pot holes there is a harsh feel to it. I've owned and lowered many Honda's before and it feels like it has a cheap lowering kit on it. As far as I know the stock suspension is original to the car. I understand that it's a sports roadster and you should feel the road but it's sometimes decently harsh.

Just wondering if I'm thinking to much about it or not.

If so, I'll probably look into an aftermarket setup. I'm not really interested in lowering it anymore but would like a plush/compliant ride.

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-10-2023, 02:01 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Probably. My 2005 shocks were blown and visibly leaking before 100k miles and the ride was very choppy for a long time before I noticed the leaking. The car hadn't ever seen a track or autocross either.

I went with Koni yellows on OEM springs and am very happy with them, and others will rightly sell you on the benefits of full Bilstein and Ohlins setups.

I would hesitate to buy used OEM shocks as some have done, knowing how much age and use they have accumulated, how (not) long they last, and not knowing what the previous owners did to them.
Old 08-10-2023, 03:07 PM

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Most lowering springs are progressive spring rate, so often feel more plush than stock most of the time.

But if they didn't clock the bushings during reinstall, could cause what you're experiencing.

Also, if they lowered by cutting coils off springs, would absolutely cause that. Aftermarket sprinfs easy to see visually (just looking into fender wells even). But cut coils harder to know.

Except car would be visually very low. Like how does yours look sideview compared to online photos of stock ride height?

At your miles, stock shocks mostly worn out anyway, so might as well plan to replace. Koni yellow (or even orange if you don't wanna mess with knobs and don't need best possible handling).
Old 08-11-2023, 04:09 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I measured the height this morning and the fronts are about 2 1/4" from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender, rears are 2 1/2". The car doesn't look any lower than other stock S2k. The shocks/struts/springs all appear to be stock and untouched.

Given how harsh the ride is, I feel like the suspension has lived its useful life and it's probably best to replace it. I've noticed that when taking an exit corner at any decent speed, the car feels jittery and the rear end floats back and forth, it doesn't stay planted especially when there are bumps. I've not experienced this before in my many other Honda/Acura's.

I'm looking for a stock yet sporty suspension. I never intend to track the car ever. I guess my choices are.

1. Find like new stock suspension
2. Koni Yellow with stock springs
3. Bilstein PSS9 at $1800ish
4. Ohlins at $2300ish

I'm not sure if I want to lower the S2k but I do like that option. Koni Yellows with stocks may give me the closest to stock ride but wondering if it's worth the double or tipple cost to go with coil over options.
Old 08-11-2023, 08:17 AM

Received 1,276 Likes on 962 Posts

Start with the basic stuff, as you'll need this anyway.

Is the alignment within spec?

What condition are the tires in? What kind are they, and how old?

If you do need shocks, the Bilstein PSS9 are the best, most simple, "next to stock" option.
Old 08-11-2023, 08:56 AM

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,013 Posts

And pss shouldn't cost $1800. More like $1200.

The behavior you describe (not harshness, the other stuff) could be unequal rear tire pressures. Make sure they match exactly. Our cars hyper sensitive to rear tire diameter being equal, and even just tire pressure or new tires from different batches can cause issues (its our torsen diff. In gas vs off gas, car wants to steer left or right, from the back, which is spooky).

Come to think of it, hyoer over inflated tires could cause harshness you describe. So could be as easy as that. Overpressure and unequal, causing all issues.
Old 08-11-2023, 09:03 AM

Received 1,276 Likes on 962 Posts

A big component to a perception of ride harshness is rattles and squeaks in the car.

If the top is rattling, its gonna vibrate through the cabin..and the noise and vibration are gonna translate in your brain into "suspension harshness".

Same if you have a bunch of jangling junk in the car...coins (what are those?!), or stuff in the trunk, etc.
The following 3 users liked this post by B serious:
Bullwings (04-15-2024), shrykhar (08-11-2023), twohoos (08-14-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 05:00 AM

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback.

This weekend I checked it over in more detail. The alignment and wheel balance seems visually and driving okay. There isn't any shaking, pulling to either side or any wobblyness to the ride. Seems to drive really nice.

I checked the tire pressure and noticed the rears were 33/32 and the fronts were 35/26. I put all of the tires to 32 as recommended by the door sticker and it did make a difference. The harshness got a little better and the swaying feeling in the rear end got a little better for sure. I'm going to drive it around for another week or so to see if that indeed helped or if it were just a mental thing.

Also, where is the best place to pick up PSS shocks? When looking I saw Blistein B14/16. Looks like the difference is adjustable vs non-adjustable. I'm never going to track the car so not sure how adjustable I need to get my suspension. I'm not opposed to spending the money to get something like Ohlins (would just take some more time to save).

Old 08-14-2023, 06:57 AM

Received 1,142 Likes on 1,005 Posts

As you've noted our cars are sensitive to tire pressure -- and tires themselves.

The suspension is taut (my wife says "rough") and may take some experience before it feels normal. Your 2008 is stiffer than my 2006. Don't assume there's something wrong. These are convertibles with lots of roof rattles.

Download This article. Then put the car on a lift and note the color of the "dots" on the springs and the part numbers on the coil overs if they're still there. Look for leaking shocks. If the dots don't agree with the article or there are no dots at all someone has messed with the car. An easy fix with OEM parts.

It's possible to mix-and-match the suspensions from all model years the 2006-2007 being the most compliant. 2008 got stiffer front and rear springs. If the shocks are good you'll often find 2006-2007 springs on eBay at inexpensive prices compared to aftermarket suspension parts.

All depends on how much money and time you want to spend. The car is what it is and there's no guarantee aftermarket springs will change anything. I'm still on the original OEM suspension.

-- Chuck
Old 08-14-2023, 10:40 AM

@Chuck S , thanks for the note and the link to the article. This is my weekend car so when I get some time I'll jack it up and figure out if the suspension is indeed true stock to 2008 or not. I only mention the harshness because it reminded me or my older days lowering my Integras and Civics with cheaper setups.

I also noticed that we live around the same area. I'm about 20ish minutes north of you in Short Pump.

Quick Reply: Is my suspension bad