S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Is it time to say hello to Type R and bye to S2000? Need Help!

Old 04-11-2024, 10:19 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Is it time to say hello to Type R and bye to S2000? Need Help!

Hi Everyone,

I am at a crossroads and could use some help. I am currently on my third S2000 and have owned this platform for over 10+ years. I absolutely loved everything about the car. But I am at a point where I am not finding myself getting excited to drive the car anymore. Let alone putting 1000 miles on the car a year anymore.

-I am not sure if its because I have modded it to make it “perfect” and I am done.
-Or because I am a new father and I have even less time for the car. Also due to my kid only being 1 years old I can’t put her in the passenger seat
-Or maybe im just getting older and held onto the platform for too long and have gotten bored.
-Getting nervous about part shortages and dwindling support community

The part that makes me hesitant is if I sell my S2000 and I want to get back into the platform in the future. I know it will be pretty hard/near impossible to get another one in this clean of condition again.

So my question to everyone here is that, did anyone go from a S2000 to a Type R? If so do you regret it? Would you advocate for it? Has anyone been in my situation before? Should I hold onto this car or cut bait and try something new? I am interested in hearing your responses.

Oh yeah what draws me to the FL5

Pros
-Love the looks
-Love the modern tech
-Love the seats
-Able to hold my kid and can take her to car events with me

Cons
-FWD nervous of wheel hop or potentially overdriving the car with added power
-Limited amount of options to mod the car (could get bored early)
-Sound
The following 2 users liked this post by SilliG:
GBR! (04-12-2024), windhund116 (04-23-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 10:41 AM

Received 1,195 Likes on 927 Posts

I have autocrossed my S2k and then jumped in and autocrossed my friends Type R. Meh .... In that regard it is fun and it did surprise me for a FWD with that much power (aka was not as annoying as hell to drive as most high powered FWD's) but I did not walk away wanting one at all. S2k was a billion times more fun. I have not driven one around on the street though.

Now, if you are wanting something for DD duty as well then it may not be a bad choice. Not boring, has good power, etc .I assume on a track they would be more fun than on the autox course, but still felt like a tall heavy beast compared to driving the S2000.

But I have known a lot of people that sold their S2k and every one said they regretted it later. If you can swing keeping it then not a bad idea if you have the space for it and another car.
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 11:47 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a DD so this is just for a fun weekend car. Due to funds and parking I only have space for one weekend/fun car.

I have not test drove a FL5 due to the fact dealers aren’t allowing it
Old 04-11-2024, 07:38 PM

Received 1,255 Likes on 948 Posts

Oh, I thought the FL5 was going to be your like..."everything" car. Then it makes sense.

However, it doesn't make sense to sell something like a S2000 and buy a CTR as a fun weekend car.

I really like the CTR, and I think it makes a perfect daily driver. Its not something I would think of for a "fun weekend car" to replace my S2000, if I already had another practical car, though.

As far as "new car tech". It's gonna get old in 6 months. Everyone that buys cars for tech is never happy with the car for more than 1yr.

I travel semi often and drive all kind of new cars as rentals. I *hate* all the tech in new cars.

I drive my S2000 as an escape. I don't want bluetooth or apple car play...because I'm not interested in what's happening on my phone while I'm driving it. Otherwise, I'd just take the bus and play on my phone.

I enjoy driving and my S2000 is fun to drive. I drive mine all summer, as much as possible, even for mundane things like going to work or the store.

I have a 20min commute to/from work and I look forward to it every day.

I find that my relationship with my S2000 will become stale if I don't drive it when I get the chance. Why don't you try driving more often this year to see if you actually want to get rid of it? That's free.

If you don't want to drive it anymore, you've answered your question. You're not gonna miss it.

If you do end up bored with the S2000. Is something like a GR Supra or Mustang attainable?

Last edited by B serious; 04-11-2024 at 07:45 PM.
Mr.Matchbox (04-13-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 07:51 PM

Received 1,255 Likes on 948 Posts

To add...maybe take the FL5 on a test drive or at least sit in one to see how you feel.

I want an FL5 pretty bad. But wouldn't have the heart to drive it in snow/salt. But the non snow/salt time is S2000 time. So if I bought an FL5, it would just sit around.
Old 04-12-2024, 06:01 AM

Received 1,195 Likes on 927 Posts

Agree on the new car tech. none of it impresses me anymore and a lot of it annoys me (the stupidity of electrically actuated parking brakes annoys me a LOT lol). And yeah my issue is that my S2k is my fun summer car. If it is nice out that is what I want to drive and it would be hard to buy something else for the fun weekend car unless I had to get rid of the S2k for some reason. But with a young child, spouse, etc I can see that it would be nice to go on those fun weekend drives and actually be able to take them all with you Downside of the S2k is one other front seat and that is it!

And my hard rule is if the dealer wont let me drive it, they can f off No drivey, no spendy my money on it.
Old 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

You'll regret it as others have mentioned.

But,

This looks fun enough if you have to have space for the kiddo and wife
Old 04-12-2024, 08:12 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I have both, but a FK8 and I would sell the R if I needed to get rid of one. My thoughts mirrors your concerns of the difficulty of getting into another S2K. They are both weekend drivers for me but the R is used more as it has more space for passengers. However if I was by myself, I find myself grabbing the keys to the S more often then the R. It's a different driving experience and as a plus, it will hopefully continue to appreciate and have a place in my garage.
Old 04-12-2024, 08:20 AM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Can you not keep the S2k? Buy Type R as a daily. Store s2k a year... or just drive it once in a while on weekends?
Old 04-12-2024, 05:25 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have both the AP1 S2k and a DE5 (ITS).

I enjoy driving both, for different reasons. The S2000 is fun, in a frenetic sort of way. You have to work the car, drive it like you stole it (or hate it) to get it to do the "dance". Every input requires thought, and smoothness. Get stupid, jerky, rough in the wrong way, and it'll bite you. It is a totally analog experience. The car feels "alive" both underneath you and in your hands.

The DE5, is capable of speed in a much more "relaxed" way, the midrange of the engine is so strong, even stock and it's limits are much, much higher than the S2K. It is more forgiving.

I'll never sell either of them.

GBR! (04-13-2024)

Quick Reply: Is it time to say hello to Type R and bye to S2000? Need Help!