Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

Another FS Forum Suggestion

Old 02-04-2010, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another FS Forum Suggestion

To continue my efforts to be be a thorn in the side of HondaGal and in an attempt to overhaul the FS section, I propose there be a waiting period before having the ability to view the FS section.

I recently joined d-series.org and wasn't able to view their FS section until making 65 posts. This isn't a simple whore-it-up situation as there are stipulations attached to the rule. By their system, posts in any OT/Introductions sections aren't counted, whoring in on-topic forums to meet the 65-post requirement will result in a post-count reset, and continued whoring after a reset results in the banhammer. This rule applies to paying members as well as guests.

The idea behind the rule is to give some idea of the person you're dealing with when entering into a transaction. It also creates a focus on community-interaction instead of just lurking a FS section. What I've found is there is a strict adherence to quality posts and the FS section is comprised of enthusiasts with a great core community.

Additionally all threads without pics AND pics that aren't of actual items are locked.

I don't know what system capabilities this forum has to accomplish such a filter, but I think its a neat tool.

I offer the following thread as an example of my thought process:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=763396&st=0

I AM NOT MAKING ANY ASSUMPTIONS ABOUT THIS PARTICULAR THREAD. There is obvious trepidation from buyers, people chiming in with a concern about the legitimacy of the seller (with an age of 1 day), mod involvement, definite proof of pics ripped off from vendor sales/no pics of actual items... Whether or not it is legit, it has all of the earmarks of a scam...
Old 02-04-2010, 02:20 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

+1
Old 02-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Site Moderator

Received 2,633 Likes on 1,928 Posts

That sounds like a reasonable suggestion, and yes that thread is a perfect example.

Personally, I'd like to see the WTB & FS forums only visible to members, I've noticed a lot guests recently prowling the WTB forum and posting up that they've got something for sale, pretty good loophole there.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote pass. I also had to that over at d series and I ended up whoring it up for a day to reach the 65 post. Found it to be quite annoying
Old 02-05-2010, 01:24 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

+1
Old 02-05-2010, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DumpedS2k,Feb 4 2010, 06:10 PM
I vote pass. I also had to that over at d series and I ended up whoring it up for a day to reach the 65 post. Found it to be quite annoying
then do days,

it will also help to build the credibility of sellers, and in return and hopefully cut down on people that are scammed
Old 02-05-2010, 10:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a good point to that. Some of it seems a little over the top to me though. Like not not even being able to see the FS section even if your a member. Not all people post everyday like some of us. Some are just lurking for information and maybe score some parts for a very good price! I think the membership to be able to post in the FS section here is good enough. As for the guest's posting in the WTB section, just delete their post if they are advertising things for sale, simple. It's almost like ebay, your always going to risk buying things, thats why its always better to buy stuff from a person with a good rep on here. Or that has sold mulitple things without any problems. If they have been a member on here for 1 day, then be very cautious. Ask for very specific pics of the part, also with a paper with their username on it by the item they are advertising, so we know its that member. I say to post in the FS section, have at least 1 pic of your item, along with a paper or something with your s2ki username on it in that pic with the part. Thats just my thoughts.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:20 AM

^ The problem is that a $20 membership fee won't deter a scammer who can clear a couple thousand bucks in bad deals in a couple days. A rule would have to apply to members/non-members alike...

I'm not opposed to a # of days as requisite, but that doesn't do anything to get to know someone. I think you'd need a # of days AND a minimum post count to be most effective.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do understand that. Honestly, there will always be a risk buying on the internet no matter what. If a scammer is going to go through the trouble to buy a membership to rip people off for thousands of dollars worth of parts, they probably wouldnt mind just having a membership for 6 months or so, and posting their opinions in numerous threads here. It really isnt that hard to rack up a number of post's. If those dont count I dont know how anyone could rack up that many post to even be able to sell parts for a normal member here. See if a scammer doesnt have the parts, they cant post pics of the actual product with their s2ki username by it. Also, if you pay through paypal, you can turn them in and get your money back most of the time. If they are getting paid through paypal, they have their address and everything and usually their bank account numbers to transfer the money. Iv been here on the forum for a year and a half now, and I dont know anyone personally here. I'v had convo's with alot of the people on here, but they honestly dont know me personally and how I am. So that proves that even having a number of post's and being here for some time doesnt make someone a good person to buy from. Iv had good selling and buying experience so it wouldnt apply to me as much. But this would make it irritating to people that are just getting started. I know people have nice things for sale, that members and guests would love to have.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:09 AM

meh, i get your point but i'm pretty sure a scammer would look for an easier target site. it won't make for absolute immunity from the occasional scam, but i think it would help.

Quick Reply: Another FS Forum Suggestion