Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

How things work

Old 12-12-2003, 03:02 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How things work

I wrote this post in the Southern California S2000 Owners forum in regard to a topic about how much influence non-owners had in the way things run. I thought it had general applicability so I'm cross posting it here for later reference.

S2KI is a community of S2000 Owners. If you own an S2000 then you are part of it. If you don't you are welcome to join with us as long as you aren't a problem, follow the rules and show respect. That's S2KI the community. Owners are also expected to conduct themselves in the same way.

There is another S2KI, the one which manages this web site and the logistics of the community. If you've pitched in a made significant contribution then I make the best effort possible to slice off a bit of time to offer you service. Got a technical problem? I'll respond that much quicker. Got a feature request? I'll move up up the todo list and try to implement it quicker. There are a number of ways to be a member and make a contribution:

- Do something of significant value for the users
- Do something of significant value for the admins
- Do something of significant financial value such as sponsorship, membership or donate stuff we need.

Our goal is to service the S2000 owners and what we do is geared specifically for that purpose. We however have finite and limited resources. The more resources we have the more services we can offer. The resources we do have get allocated according to the the amount of resources you contribute. The more you contribute, the more of my time you get.

Those who don't make a significant contribution of any sort will still benefit from the efforts paid for by those who have made a contribution. You are welcome to be our guests and take advantage of the technical and social community. That's why we have "Owner / Guest" and "Enthusiast / Guest". You are our guests, enjoy and be happy.

So Owner/Enthusiast makes a difference in how we direct our resource pool. Remember, our goal is to service owners. Guest/Member/Gold Members/Sponsor makes a difference in how we prioritize the spending of those resources on an individual level. They are intimately connected but there is a not so subtitle difference in what they mean.

The only people who aren't welcome here are those who have proven themselves to be bad guests. They show no respect for their peers or the rules of good behavior. These are the people you wouldn't want in your homes. The 1-900 dialers, the people who punch holes in your drywall, the people to don't wipe their feet, the people who come empty handed and drink all your booze, the people who start fights or puke in your sink.

These people aren't here to participate but rather to disrupt. They have no respect and will get tossed out on their ass.

Be respectful and enjoy. Make a contribution so we can continue to develop this community. Our traffic has doubled in the past 6 months. This is actually a slow down from last year when it doubled every 3 months which we are not at all disappointed in. That's more posts (8000 in the past 24 hours), more moderation, more servers to support the load ( we have 2 database servers, 4 web servers, a firewall and load balancer and we are still 1 web server short of ideal - $1300 each - and by February we'll need another still ) and more work for everyone involved to keep pace. We need your contributions.