Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

More selective and intense vendor application process

Old 07-24-2013, 12:09 PM

Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts
Default More selective and intense vendor application process

After seeing a few scams, and potential scams, I think as a community it is worth re-evaluating vendors, and the application process.

I would like to see a more selective and intense set of requirements for people that want to be vendors. Now I realize this may stifle new businesses from starting, but I think there are ways around that. Being a vendor on S2kI should be a privilege, and not a RIGHT.

First, don't let just anyone become a vendor. It needs to be more than just paying the associated fees etc. Vendors should either be full blown honest to goodness companies like GoTuning, Evasive ETC. I see no problem with these longstanding companies just paying a fee and being granted vendor status. For instance, what if AMS, or Cobb decided to sell S2000 products. They are all well known and should be signed up no problem.

If they are not a well known "real" business and more of a start up, the requirements should be that they have had a longstanding membership on s2ki. There should also be an "interview process". Such that old threads are reviewed, do they contribute positively, are they active, do they have a positive feedback review, can multiple people vouch for them? I think a new business/vendor should have a list of references. So require 5 people to be interviewed via pm that can vouch for the company/vendor. OF course it goes without saying these references must also be positive contributors, and have been a part of the forums for awhile. I think we can potentially weed out some of these bad eggs. I am sure some creeps will still go through the effort to fool the system, and we can try the best we can, but some will still beat us. Such is life.

S2KI is flooded with vendors and I dont think we need lots and lots of new vendors so lets perhaps take a step back, and reevaluate what it means to be a vendor, and what is required to become a vendor.

I know nothing of the process so I apologize if I have the wrong idea about things. Please correct me. Please also PM me for more ideas and conversation about the vendor selection process as I have a bunch of ideas, and would also like to read up on the vendor requirements.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:23 PM
Site Moderator

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,903 Posts

We need Internet Brands' input on this, we have little to no input on the vendor process as Moderators.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this is a great idea - a fairly straightforward step to help protect a large group of people.
Heck, you could create a sort of application form that the prospect has to fill out (have things like references, time active on boards, etc.) and they would do most of the work for you. This would ensure standardization across the board and give the admin/mods/owner some sort of protection in the event that something happens.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You make some good points, Adam. I too, do not know the requirements to become a vendor. I think at the bare minimum, they should have to be a legitimate business as in tax id/business license. Those things are easy to acquire albeit a little intimidating to do but it at least shows some commitment.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Further I think the ability to post a group buy or presale of an item should be limited to vendors that are in good standing. These presale situations allow for a vendor to collect money when a product does not exist and sit on it which can put you well past the number of days allowed to file a claim. Another option would be to enforce a very limited deposit for these presales or group buys. Something like 5-10% of the total cost of the item that way it will limit the amount that cannot be gotten back if a claim cannot be filed.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:28 PM

Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
Further I think the ability to post a group buy or presale of an item should be limited to vendors that are in good standing. These presale situations allow for a vendor to collect money when a product does not exist and sit on it which can put you well past the number of days allowed to file a claim. Another option would be to enforce a very limited deposit for these presales or group buys. Something like 5-10% of the total cost of the item that way it will limit the amount that cannot be gotten back if a claim cannot be filed.

Yep those are very good points.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:35 AM

Agreed.
Just to point out b/c it hasn't been said yet: When evaluating a company, you really have to look past a flashy website as it means nothing these days and proves nothing about a companies integrity. Lots of ways to get a good website built.

Interviews are necessary along with a small business plan of sorts. If they can't take the interview or the business plan serious, they're probably not the type of vendor you should let interfere with the good ones we already have. On the flip side, ambition and good ideas should be rewarded.

Group buys that deal with collecting money up front? definitely only for vendors that have proved themselves and have proper cash flow.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an excellent idea! I haven't personally been bamboozled, but have read some horror stories and think something like what Adam suggested would really help to improve S2ki and its paying members! Maybe even have a potential start-up vendor get x amount of "signatures" from paying members to become a vendor? This would give paying members another benefit of paying for membership!
Old 08-06-2013, 07:47 PM

i think they should also be evaluated based on the 'value' they add. there are shops posting up bs dyno's and getting people to buy snake oil. and yes, even though they claim that header dyno to be a 'fluke' - many people are mislead by it. my skepticism was met by pm's from random people that wanted me to delete my posts(i can submit these), just because you already 'are' a vendor, does not mean you are exempt from criticism
Old 08-06-2013, 07:48 PM

also, gorilla marketing is a growing problem on the internet- s2ki needs to do something about it

Quick Reply: More selective and intense vendor application process