Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

newbie grace period

Old 05-12-2005, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie grace period

there is a noticeable amount of questions that are repeatedly asked over and over again. it usually comes from new members.

i noticed that on some other forums, that there is a grace period for new members. maybe this would filter out some of the redundant questioning, urging them to look through previous threads.

these threads just get everyone worked up and makes the community look like it's filled with bad people when obviously it's due to the constant nagging.

just a suggestion. i'm sure that everyone would agree with this.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's like school...you read, then discuss
Old 05-12-2005, 02:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's a great idea. Even Honda-Tech does this, I'm sure it keeps many of the spammers away.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:13 PM

what a great idea!!!
3 months or 100 days after you receive your screen name
Old 05-12-2005, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What's the great idea that you think is so great? Ok, we have a probation period but you haven't suggested what it means. No posting? Limited posting? Ritual spanking?

We already have something like that which prevents new accounts from posting too many posts in the first few days of life. I don't think you can prevent people from asking stupid and redundant questions.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:25 PM

asking stupid questions is one thing but it would be a great idea to give them a list of most frequently asked questions and a link to answers

One suggestion is an introduction to the Seach Key for new members.
When i began, I didnt even know what and where the search key was.

just a thought
Old 05-14-2005, 10:08 AM
Administrator

part of the job of the moderators is to maintain a sticky FAQ thread. Some have, some don't.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by problem_child,May 12 2005, 08:25 PM
asking stupid questions is one thing but it would be a great idea to give them a list of most frequently asked questions and a link to answers
You can lead a man to ponder, but you can't make him think.

In other words, you can send all of the material to newbies you want, but getting them to read it will be all but impossible. They will toss it immediately upon receipt as they "already know what they're doing".
Old 05-19-2005, 11:17 AM
Administrator

There isn't much we can do other than be a-holes about it.

In many respects the issue of noobie postings is a non-issue. We have an S2000 Talk forum and that's where most of it happens. It's the "main" forum so that's where people go first to ask redundant and repetitive annoyances.

These types of posts are simply novice. They aren't abuse like would be the case for SPAMers, trolls and ****s. I don't think any one solution can address both of these issues at once. They are separate problems IMHO.

We have a special flood control system which prevents new accounts from making an unreasonable number of posts too soon. Spammers tend to start spamming immediately so we take that into account. Until you've made a decent number of posts over a period of time you are on probation. It's a safety measure to keep the mess to a manageable level that we can clean up. We still do need to clean it up tho.

The other difference between the two is how we deal with them. We can't really (I don't want to anyway) simply ban people who ask questions asked a million times or that are stupid. That's an overreaction. If we were to do that then most of you would have been banned

An abuser on the other hand will be immediately and punitively banned, bye, gone, cya. They will come back with a new account and we will start over.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cthree,May 19 2005, 01:17 PM
We have an S2000 Talk forum and that's where most of it happens. It's the "main" forum so that's where people go first to ask redundant and repetitive annoyances.
I thougt the Hotties forum was the "main" one?

Quick Reply: newbie grace period