Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

our search sucks?

Old 03-18-2006, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zyr,Mar 18 2006, 01:31 PM
I'm not saying our search is bad..
You said it sucks in the title
Old 03-18-2006, 11:47 PM
zyr

I tried to suggest a reasonable improvement that would make searching easier and save the server some bandwidth but all it resulted in was flaming. I guess I'll keep my mouth shut from now on
Old 03-18-2006, 11:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

actually I do agree. I think the search should be more like bimmerforums where you can search for usernames and stuff but whatever. I usually find the answer by asking at a weekly gathering or google
Old 03-19-2006, 12:13 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The world isn't fair. I did a search on newcelica for exhaust and some sorting and filtering options and it took 49 seconds and didn't return much in the way of useful results, no better than a comparable search here. The have 1/3 of the amount of data (posts) to search as we do. The same search here would probably take 3+ minutes ( vs almost 1). It's just grown unworkable and most forums that I know of with 6+ million posts turn off or simplify search.

ZeroForums is written by the guy who runs ht. I don't know what search engine they use so I have no way to compare.

Search, the forums, everything is a work in progress. It's not fantastic but it will have to do for a while.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I also think the search function here is horrible...honestly it would be nice to at least have more options. I typically always have trouble with it.

I mean at least give the option to have an advanced search
Old 03-26-2006, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Membership starts at $20/yr. Maybe if we had a couple hundred more I could buy that new database server we desperately need. Food for thought.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:57 PM

Hike up the sponsor fees
Old 03-26-2006, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by darkfx,Mar 26 2006, 06:57 PM
Hike up the sponsor fees
that just keeps more sponsors away if you make it too high...supply and demand

as far as having more members, and having more pay fees...now I do plan to become a member, but only because I like this site and want to support it. I have no need for the gallery, the email, the special forums, the 5% discount...I mean I honestly will probably never use any of the features or at least rarely. But I'm going to do it because I love the site.

I'm sure a lot feel that way and maybe thats why not as many become members...I don't know...

anyway, that is not what this thread is about, and its not really about excuses why the search function should/can be poor quality. This is a MAJOR car forum if I remember correctly it was in the top 10 last year or something like that and I believe AT LEAST in the top 50 internet forums period. We aren't talking a small forum here...our search function should be improved
Old 03-26-2006, 08:44 PM

search really sucks on this forum. Not only you don't have the advanced options such as search by user or by post title, the search throws out post results not really thread results so the same thread comes up over and over in the results.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by cthree,Mar 19 2006, 01:13 AM
The world isn't fair. I did a search on newcelica for exhaust and some sorting and filtering options and it took 49 seconds and didn't return much in the way of useful results, no better than a comparable search here. The have 1/3 of the amount of data (posts) to search as we do. The same search here would probably take 3+ minutes ( vs almost 1). It's just grown unworkable and most forums that I know of with 6+ million posts turn off or simplify search.

ZeroForums is written by the guy who runs ht. I don't know what search engine they use so I have no way to compare.

Search, the forums, everything is a work in progress. It's not fantastic but it will have to do for a while.
maybe you can work into it, or work into the advance options that it will not bring up posts more then 2-2.5yrs old...I know that is doable...and then if the person doesn't find it, they can search further back, and if they STILL don't find it they will ask.

zyr, sorry you got flammed, honestly I think more people the you think agree with you, but most don't browse this forum...I was going to start a thread on the same thing but saw yours so I decided to reply.

I too think that there are at least some basic things that can be changed which would be great temporary fixes to the search function at least until we get new servers or whatever we need. If nothing can be done, everybody will obviously deal with it...not like there is much choice...I just find it disappointing...as I did that S2k's are better then Evo's thing

Quick Reply: our search sucks?