Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

S2KI maintaining S2000 registry

Old 05-08-2014, 10:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default S2KI maintaining S2000 registry

There are alot of S2KI members that would like a current and up-to-date S2000 registry. With S2KI being the preeminent S2000 forum on the planet, it makes alot of sense that S2KI would house and maintain the registry. How could we get S2KI to create a moderator-type position to maintain the registry?
Old 05-08-2014, 03:31 PM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

Some may know what the OP is referencing when he mentions "The Registry," but some may not. So for those unfamiliar, here is the background:

In 2010, member Ralper began tracking voluntarily provided information about S2000s and keeping it in a spreadsheet. Eventually, he had to stop maintaining the project for reasons I don't recall at this time (I think he got busy with important stuff in his life). After that, a couple of people indicated interest in maintaining this "registry," but the most recent person to actively contribute to it was member S2K Shawn. He made updates as recently as February of this year. Info can be found in this thread...

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/784722-s2000-registry/

Personally, I think it would be great if the information could just be entered by owners directly via a web based form and then automatically dumped into a database or spreadsheet which is housed somewhere on Internet Brand's existing resources. Barring that, a Google Docs location would probably be fine too, but it should be something that an admin(s) or Internet Brands staff owns and is responsible for so that it is never lost.

Hope this helps explain for those who might not have been otherwise familiar with "The S2000 Registry."
Old 05-12-2014, 03:52 AM

So who exactly are we waiting on to respond?
Old 05-12-2014, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Received 166 Likes on 135 Posts

I could probably make an attempt at it, don't know if I could commit to it long term though. Some days I could probably get to it right away, but other days, like today which has been sort of if you know what I mean, it would have to fall by the wayside... not that it needs constant updating or anything. I haven't worked much with Google docs or shared documents for that matter, but I do enjoy spreadsheets.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:47 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I vote for Julie.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ +1
Old 05-13-2014, 04:59 AM

Thanks Julieu, are u sure you want to take on more duties? You already have moderator duties. Can someone tell me who in S2KI makes decisions to add forums? We could have a registry forum w a web based form like rmurphy suggested that would eliminate alot of the work someone would need to do. But....i dont know who we need to convince.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:37 AM
Administrator

Received 166 Likes on 135 Posts

I'm never sure about anything, but that's usually how I end up doing a lot of the stuff that I do - volunteering because no one else wants to. IDK about having a subforum just for registry topics; doesn't seem like there'd be much to discuss in it, but the web-based form is not a bad idea.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:28 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by JulieU
I'm never sure about anything, but that's usually how I end up doing a lot of the stuff that I do - volunteering because no one else wants to. IDK about having a subforum just for registry topics; doesn't seem like there'd be much to discuss in it, but the web-based form is not a bad idea.
We also don't want personal information about peoples cars and their location readily accessible to just anyone.

The registry is cool and all, but I'm not sure what the desire is to have it public, plus it doesn't get us anywhere by having it. The registry would need to be handled by Internet Brands, no one person should have access to it, or we end up in the same situation as are now.

Ideally we need to know exactly what the registry should include and in what type of format. I don't think it requires its own subforum.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Originally Posted by JulieU' timestamp='1399991822' post='23157686
We also don't want personal information about peoples cars and their location readily accessible to just anyone.

The registry is cool and all, but I'm not sure what the desire is to have it public, plus it doesn't get us anywhere by having it. The registry would need to be handled by Internet Brands, no one person should have access to it, or we end up in the same situation as are now.

Ideally we need to know exactly what the registry should include and in what type of format. I don't think it requires its own subforum.
I think that the information in the "current" registry is adequate. VIN number, S2KI member name, and State/Country would be all that is needed. This would not have any personal info in it such as owner name or address or license number. I am not sure what you mean by public though. The initial idea was for owners to browse the list and check out where all the cars are now.

Quick Reply: S2KI maintaining S2000 registry