S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Site Info (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/site-info-4/)
-   -   Site maintenance this coming weekend (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/site-info-4/site-maintenance-coming-weekend-270853/)

cthree 02-22-2005 08:52 AM

Site maintenance this coming weekend

I will be taking the site offline this coming weekend to repair and rebuild the search database server. I will be running many very "high-cost" processes and require the databases be idle. FYI.

AquilaEagle 02-22-2005 09:24 AM

Thanks for the notice Erik - any idea what kind of time?

cthree 02-22-2005 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle' date='Feb 22 2005, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the notice Erik - any idea what kind of time?

Unfortunately no. It will be either Saturday or Sunday and depends on how quickly things work out. The database is huge to it can take a vary long time to do very simple things (like copy it). It could take 45 minutes just to transfer some of the files from one server to another. I'll make it as quick and painless as I can. Even finding a disk partition to put it on is a challenge.

I recommend that if you are going to post something long winded this weekend you copy and paste the post into notepad when you are done in case the server is offline by the time you click submit post. At least you'll have a copy of what you wrote so you can try posting it again when the servers come back online.

freq 02-23-2005 05:56 PM

How about posting this info in some of the more high profile areas of the board?

Or is this supposed to be a secret?

Poindexter 02-23-2005 07:26 PM

CO's can pass word onto their community forums. Unfortunately most will be surprised this weekend, and I'll be in S2Ki withdrawals again :( :LOL:

Fortunately the site seems to take its least amount of traffic on the weekends......guess people play on here most while at work :whome:

freq 02-24-2005 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Poindexter,Feb 24 2005, 01:26 AM
CO's can pass word onto their community forums. Unfortunately most will be surprised this weekend, and I'll be in S2Ki withdrawals again :( :LOL:

Fortunately the site seems to take its least amount of traffic on the weekends......guess people play on here most while at work :whome:

The CO's can but often Do Not.

Poindexter 02-24-2005 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by freq,Feb 24 2005, 10:28 AM
The CO's can but often Do Not.

Then why don't you take it upon yourself to lend a hand within your own community - not saying you don't ;)

C.O.'s and Mod's are not paid to work on S2Ki - we volunteered to help out, and sometimes we cannot provide all the necessary time to do things at 110%.

cthree 02-24-2005 09:14 AM

* ohh snap! *

Saturday is the slowest day, that's why scheduled maintenance happens then. I post notices about the site operation in this forum. Sometimes I will post it in other places depending on how long or widespead I expect the disruption to be. I don't expect this to be a big deal, it's only a couple of hours. If it were to be the whole day then I'd post a more prominent announcement.

Regardless of how many places I post it someone isn't going to know about it until it happens and will inevitably complain they weren't notified, not given sufficient notice or, in a few cases, complaint they weren't consulted for their approval. Not a complaint from me, just the way it is. It will happen and I'll deal with it when it does.

Edit

I want to ad that many COs do a really good job of letting their clubs know about these things. If yours doesn't seem to have a clue then it might be time to consider adding some more COs or changing the ones you've got. Your CO should have a pretty good idea of what's going on and be able to tell you.

freq 02-24-2005 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Poindexter,Feb 24 2005, 12:42 PM
Then why don't you take it upon yourself to lend a hand within your own community - not saying you don't ;)

As busy as the Del-Val isn't ......................... :) it wouldn't be too tough a task.

cthree 02-24-2005 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by freq,Feb 24 2005, 10:18 AM
As busy as the Del-Val isn't ......................... :) it wouldn't be too tough a task.

Not sure what you mean by that? Are you suggesting that Del-Val be rolled up into a larger region like Mid-A?