Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

suggested site modification: Double-Blind Ignore list

Old 12-25-2003, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

** mods, please don't move this to Site Discussion, because hardly anyone goes there unless they're having problems **

ok, it has come to my attention that we have recently lost the much valued input of Ultimate Lurker due to the inordinate amounts of "noise" from trolls, flamers, and generally immature kids (and adults acting like kids). that is a f*ckin sad loss to say the least.

on top of that, Road Rage is on his way out too, for the same reasons. (Road Rage, xviper and others who post such helpful and informative threads-- thank you for sticking around! I, for one, am deeply appreciative! )

I think part of their frustration is that they are taking the time to research and post extremely valuable information that not only benefits those who appreciate their efforts, but also benefits those same assholes who come here, contribute nothing, and generally make a mess of the place.

currently, the Ignore button only makes it so that we can view threads without having to read what the trolls are writing.

my suggestion: add a Block button, so that not only does the person who Blocked a troll have to see that troll's posts, but any posts by the person when viewed by the troll, say instead "Content Blocked by [username]".

EDIT: also, please keep the Ignore button as an alternative option, since it might be nice to have someone's postings Ignored without them knowing it, to keep them from taking it personally-- I use this sometimes to clean up threads that have been heavily whored or flamed in.

but the beauty of the Block button is that for those people who mouth-off a lot, pretty soon they'll come to s2ki and find nothing to troll about since the threads will be next to unreadable for them, and will soon leave. it also gives them a clear idea that they should strongly consider playing nice if they want to come here and enjoy the content of this site.

also if you accidentally end up on someone's Block list, you can PM them and try to straighten things out. (which is why I suggest having their username put in the message "Content Blocked by [username]".)

sure, people can still change usernames and come back under a different name, but if they still desire to read the valuable content on this site, maybe they'll learn to keep their mouths shut, or at the very least, show a little respect.

something must be done to keep from losing the valuable input of members like UL and Road Rage. this is the best I could come up with, and I'm open to opinions. (of course, the final word is up to cthree, HondaGal and krazik-- I do hope you give strong consideration to my suggestion and others that people post here)

respectfully,
tritium_pie
Old 12-25-2003, 04:45 PM

Sounds good to me if its possible.
Old 12-25-2003, 04:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 12-25-2003, 05:05 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Destiny2002
I suggested something to this effect here: http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=146567

I've gone for months at a time myself, for similar reasons.

When information is as well thought-out and written as Road Rage, xviper, Ultimate Lurker, and many others... it shows lack of respect to not respond with reasonably correct spelling, grammar, and manner of discussion.
Old 12-25-2003, 05:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 12-25-2003, 05:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We lost UL?!
Old 12-25-2003, 05:49 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm all for somebody deciding what they want and don't want to read - but when you start dictating what somebody else can read, that's censorship and diminishes s2ki.

Besides, it won't work unless krazik/cthree blocks non-registered users from reading. My impression of s2ki is that it's a bit more of an open community than that.

If there's truly a problem user out there, report them to a moderator and have them muted/banned.

Besides, UL's not gone - he was upset by the reactions some had to the '04 dyno we did here in Dallas, sure, but he's still active and contributing. (And nobody was deliberately trolling in that case either, as far as I can tell.)
Old 12-25-2003, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by Elistan
I'm all for somebody deciding what they want and don't want to read - but when you start dictating what somebody else can read, that's censorship and diminishes s2ki.
but you're only blocking a particular person from reading what you write. censorship implies blocking everyone from reading some content-- ostensibly content not even written by the person doing the blocking, whereas I would term my suggestion as "selective distribution"-- that is, you pick who gets to read what you wrote.

[QUOTE]
Besides, it won't work unless krazik/cthree blocks non-registered users from reading.
Old 12-25-2003, 06:21 PM

I would like to have it that unless you take the time to register you cannot even view the pages. When i came to this site over 2 years ago there were nice rides and not many jack-asses. Now there are still some nice cars, more nice cars actually. There are also several horrible looking cars as well as jack-ass know-it-alls with toilet mouth on this site. Lately this site has reminded me of the old hondaclub.com and superhonda, which is not a good thing. Maybe make a S2K talk forum for public and then one for owners only or paying members? I don't know what the solution is, if there is one, just throwing out some ideas.
Old 12-25-2003, 06:26 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tritium_pie
but you're only blocking a particular person from reading what you write.

Quick Reply: suggested site modification: Double-Blind Ignore list