Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.
View Poll Results: Where should "static" content go?
In a new forum just for that
78.57%
In existing forums based on subject
21.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Update to update on changes

Old 03-28-2005, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Update to update on changes

After reviewing the feedback offered here https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=275239 and discussing it with members, moderators and a whole bunch of people I have decided to change my earlier decision on the new "Library" forum.

I was initially thinking of making this a Members-only resource but my advisors advise that it should be available to all and having slept on it I now agree. However I'm also thinking that a new forum called "The Library" isn't necessarily a good idea either but rather the content that would go there should be posted in the existing forums (such as Under the Hood or Wash and Wax) depending on the subject.

Most of the advice I've received says yes put it in a new forum but my instinct says no. I'm attaching a poll to this topic so you can let me know which you think is the best idea for how to handle this content.

Please let me know if you think that "static" content should be stored in a forum separate from the others or if it should be blended into the existing forum structure.

To be clear, regardless of where it is located, The Library and it's content will be available for all and not just Members.

Please try to keep your replies to this topic topical so I don't need to spend a whole day responding to critics. Please just let me know where you stand on the issue of where the content should be put and possibly why you think that. If you want to say The Management hates puppies and eats babies please post a new topic.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the idea of everything being put into one place. It should be the first place that people go for clear information...
Old 03-28-2005, 10:38 AM

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,594 Posts

I have a feeling if you split it up, it will be confusing. Some subjects might not fall clearly into one forum versus another.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you Erik - this will certainly benefit ALL who come to s2ki..

please let me know if there is anything I can do to help

BTW i voted for one location so that it will be easier to find the specific data required
Old 03-28-2005, 11:08 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Ok, let me take this one on.

I have been here for some time, I think S2ki.com was version 2 when I joined. So the main thing that has been a problem is finding the information you are looking for. This includes How to's, TBS or other General information. Now that V4 has been up and running for sometime, it is safe to say that it search function is less the fuctional at best. So finding information is now harder then it once was.

I for one would love to see a well maintained Library. Some type of ducument management application then just another forum. This could have a compete Library of How To's, Body Kit pictures, TBS and other stuff. I can see where this could be a Value Add type of area that was only accessable to members. The old information would still be where it is today, but to cover the cost of the new application and it's maintaince.

In other words, if you can find it today, you can find it tomorow in exactly the same place, using the same tools. But if you want an easier, more formal Library, then there is an option.

Old 03-28-2005, 11:57 AM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I voted for a centralized repository. PDF is a great format also. They get passed around a lot (making them good for viral marketing) and they remain 'unpolluted' by replies, new posts, comments etc.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Members, your chance to have your say, and help decide things
Old 03-28-2005, 12:13 PM

Thank you. I don't really care which way the information is organized, so long as it is available to all who visit this site and is searchable.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:26 PM
mas

Originally Posted by cthree,Mar 28 2005, 01:38 PM
I was initially thinking of making this a Members-only resource but my advisors advise that it should be available to all and having slept on it I now agree.
Great decision! To show my appreciation and support I just purchased Gold Membership.

Back on the topic, what about adding a library to every forum that would show up on top just like the sticky's? There could also be a main library that just links to these sub libraries.

Old 03-28-2005, 05:30 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

How about calling it a Knowledge Base. I never went to the library anyway.

Make no difference to me either way, but if you do decide to go with a Library / Knowledge Base PLEASE make sure that someone maintains it on a regular basis. Since the conversion form V# to V4 there are enough dead links already, this site doesn't need anymore. For instance, the For Sale Forum Rules and Regulations, that sticky is near WORTHLESS.

Besides, as long as the search functions properly, finding anything should never be an issue.

freq

OT: Remove all Guests avatars and signatures. They are a waste of bandwidth, pay to play.

Quick Reply: Update to update on changes