Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

What's up with the Google Ads

Old 02-16-2005, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cthree' date='Feb 17 2005, 12:05 AM
Chris, the banners you see in the UK forum are not S2KI banners, they are UK club banners. The only ads S2KI runs in the UK forum are the 90px ads located at the top of the topic list and above the first post of the topic view, the ones in question. AquilaEagle has total control of what goes there (much to the annoyance of the sponsors). We receive nothing from that space. We provide and maintain the software which controls it but the ads that run there, if any, are outside of my control. We receive no revenue or anything else from the communities in exchange for offering them a place to advertise local sponsors, events and meets. If you want them removed talk to AE.
Thank you for the detailed response Eric - I don't envy you your task. I have subsequently adjusted my browser so that the advertising is no longer an issue for myself.

Do we need two levels of membership ? Could we not have one membership priced somewhere between standard & gold ? Just a thought.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:43 PM

Received 800 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Type R' date='Feb 16 2005, 02:05 PM
- It seems somewhat unfair to force advertising upon standard members when they're partially through their membership - there appears no way to get around the intrusive advertising other than installed ad-blocker ad-ins. Surely you don't want people using ad-blockers on your site ?
I have an ad-blocker at work. It ends up leaving a ~100 pixel grey box, sans the advertisements, so there's no net gain in real estate. I was quite confused until I noticed the old grey box at the bottom was gone.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most ad-blockers won't leave the space.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:32 PM

[quote name='WestSideBilly' date='Feb 17 2005, 01:43 AM'] I have an ad-blocker at work.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:15 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cthree' date='Feb 17 2005, 12:05 AM
... the banners you see in the UK forum are not S2KI banners, they are UK club banners. The only ads S2KI runs in the UK forum are the 90px ads located at the top of the topic list and above the first post of the topic view, the ones in question. AquilaEagle has total control of what goes there (much to the annoyance of the sponsors). We receive nothing from that space.
Interesting point here. I for one woud much prefer to have the sponsor adds at the top of the screen as opposed to the adds for meets that we currently get.

Old 02-16-2005, 11:51 PM

I actually see the google ads less now than when thet were at the bottom of the screen.

They used to be there when posting a reply.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly' date='Feb 17 2005, 01:43 AM
I have an ad-blocker at work. It ends up leaving a ~100 pixel grey box, sans the advertisements, so there's no net gain in real estate. I was quite confused until I noticed the old grey box at the bottom was gone.
Same here.

I've just noticed that if I roll the mouse over that area the links are still there, but you just can't see them.
Don't know why, but I found that rather funny.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW you don't need ad blocking software to remove the ads. You might want to spend some time learning a bit about how your browser is configured. It might come in handy someday.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cthree' date='Feb 16 2005, 07:05 PM
I guarantee that most of the those parts you have in your list were not only not purchased from sponsors but were probably advertised here without sanction and at your expense.
You are so very wrong. All of my mods (with the exception of wheels and a few knick knacks) were bought from advertisers and/or sponsors of this site: BP, Rick's, MG, Evolution, HT Guy and HP Freaks to name just a few. I sincerely hope that's not a money back guarantee you're offering. If it is, I'd be happy to take your money (as opposed to you taking mine).

You get something which I cannot have; you get to do nothing. If you don't want to read, post, visit or do anything else you don't feel like then that's your pleasure. I don't get that luxury because there is much to do and it's my sole responsibility to get it done regardless. If I don't do it, it doesn't get done, period. $20 allows me to take on that responsibility and you the security of knowing the site is there when you want it, that's it's clean, mature and enjoyable and that should you even have a problem accessing or using it there is someone available to resolve it by phone, fax, email, IM or PM. If it's not that way then you have the comfort of knowing that if you just wait a little bit that someone is actually working on it and it will be back to normal soon. No action is required on your part. Go for a drive or watch TV for an hour and like magic it will be like nothing happened.
Actually, I DON'T get to do nothing. Like you, I work 6 days a week, attempt to raise 3 kids under the age of 4, struggle to keep a marriage together and then try to find some spare time to enjoy a car that sits in my garage most of the time b/c I have no time to drive it. But that's besides the point. You've chosen your profession, as I've chosen mine. No one's forcing you to do anything. If you work hard at your job, good for you. So do I. Don't try to imply that I don't.

[sidebar]
I see you have time to take your car to the track on occasion and improve your driving skills. I don't. (Taking three toddlers to the track is not exactly ideal). I would hope that if you complain to me about all the time you spend at work trying to make this site better (and I have no doubt that you DO spend alot of time on it, b/c it shows) and not having any free time that I will not see your lap times steadily getting better.
[/sidebar]

IMHO imposing a massive signature on people is poor form and it's something the moderators have asked you to resolve in the past.
No one has EVER asked me to reduce my sig, so you must be confusing me with someone else. I'll take it this is such a request though. As it happens, I like your idea about linking to a mods list (as opposed to having the list in a sig), so I'll probably be implementing that in the near future. c3 - 1, bigpurp - 0.

As I see it, this all stemmed from a simple request: can you move the Google ads back to the bottom, or allow members to disable them? If the answer is no, so be it. Just say so. It's not the end of my world, as I'm sure it's not the end of yours. I'm not asking you not to advertise, and I understand your need to.

No hard feelings here. I may have taken some of your "you this" and "you that" comments a bit too personally, and for that I apologize. I have been accused of being sensitive at times.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

I'll have to think long and hard about my $20 come renewal time.

Now, about that "Membership Package"......................

Quick Reply: What's up with the Google Ads