Socal Swap Meet PAID MEMBERSHIP REQUIRED. Buy, sell, trade and bargain with fellow members in SoCal
Mark this thread as Sold

FS: DBW AEM EMS

Old 11-09-2008, 04:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default FS: DBW AEM EMS

My AEM EMS w/ UEGO is now officially on the block. Let me give a brief review of how it works:

- There is a harness that goes between the stock ecu and the AEM.
- The stock ECU controls the throttle body and the gauges. All the gauges work like OEM. The AEM controls timing, fuel and everything else.
- The car loses VSA and cruise control, although the AEM does have traction control if you choose to set it up.
- The VSA lights and check engine light are always on. The best solution is to unplug these lights. I've grown used to them and just left the bulbs in.
- One thing you will get with this EMS is a very well tuned map for NA. I have spent about $1,000 on the tune and have spent many many hours of my own time tuning the map on the street and calibrating sensors.

Here are some of the details of the tune that go above and beyond the typical tune:
A) The entire powerband, all the way to 8000+ RPMs has been part-throttle tuned twice. This is 2+ hours of tuning which is rarely done.
B) Nearly every breakpoint has been used to get the AFRs extremely flat. I typically see only 10 breakpoints used and they aren't usually set in the best places.
C) The air temp, water temp and barometric pressure sensors have been hand calibrated by me with external sensors.
D) The fuel trims for differing temperatures have been painstakingly set by the tuner and myself all the way from ~50 ambient to over 110 ambient temps. This took hours and hours and obviously finding locations with differing temps.

All the tuning time put into this may not seem valuable to some. All I can say is the performance of the car after all this tuning is much much better especially at a track or in the canyons where you are often in part-throttle.

You can look at My Thread to see my mod list. If you are NA, this EMS can be re-tuned for your parts in about an hour. If you are in SoCal and can go to Church Automotive, it will only be an hour for sure which is $170 since Church is very familiar with my tune (I have already talked to Church about a re-tune). I can even go the dyno session to lend a hand in the tuning (Church is great guy, but having someone familiar with the system there to remind him of certain things is good).

For an FI car, some of the things I have done with the tune will be very useful, but in general I would guess there isn't a lot to be gained from this tune versus starting over from scratch. But honestly I don't know the answer fully.

I am going to start this at $1,750. The new cost for the EMS (which is a 30-1070U), is $1,800 and the harness is about $350, if I remember correctly. The cash I have into the map is $1,000 + about 20 hours of my own time. The value of this map will depend on your setup and intended use. Obviously price is determined by demand, not cost so I will adjust the price if necessary. I would hate to see all the mapping work wasted but if one of the many FI people that have so far PM'd me makes a reasonable offer, it's gone. If you are local in SoCal I could probably install this on your car in Irvine and of course like I said before I could show up at the dyno tuning.

For the avoidance of doubt, the purpose of me selling this is to upgrade to the MoTeC unit. The MoTeC can control the DBW directly instead of using the stock ecu. I plan on adding the SDL dash and doing a bunch of other stuff the AEM is just not capable of. The MoTeC is a $5,000 system and the tuning is much more expensive per hour because very few shops do it.

EDIT: I have discovered a problem with the EMS and am having it looked at by Autowave and AEM. This item is therefore not for sale.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the replacement?
Old 11-09-2008, 04:28 PM

kpro
Old 11-09-2008, 04:36 PM

MoTeC M800.

I have not heard anything about the K-Pro for DBW for the past year. I assume they will release it one day, but I don't think there is a timeframe yet.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:38 PM

Why Motec over AEM? Just wondering...
Old 11-09-2008, 04:46 PM

There's just so much more you can do with the Motec... It's comparing a $2000 product to a $5000 product.

It's like VAFC < Emanage < AEM < Motec. Each step you take you gain functionality.

One of the main reasons is so I can use the Motec dash, the SDL2.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by carrera4,Nov 9 2008, 05:46 PM
There's just so much more you can do with the Motec... It's comparing a $2000 product to a $5000 product.

It's like VAFC < Emanage < AEM < Motec. Each step you take you gain functionality.

One of the main reasons is so I can use the Motec dash, the SDL2.
That's a nice dash, but also pricey. GL with the sale!
Old 11-09-2008, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by carrera4,Nov 9 2008, 05:36 PM
MoTeC M800.

I have not heard anything about the K-Pro for DBW for the past year. I assume they will release it one day, but I don't think there is a timeframe yet.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=647073
Old 11-09-2008, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Randizzle88,Nov 9 2008, 06:55 PM
That's great! I'm glad it's finally out!

Doesn't suit my needs at all though since it's still a piggyback.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:12 PM

who are you going to use to tune the motec here in socal??

Quick Reply: FS: DBW AEM EMS