South Florida Owners from South Florida

cleared light and windshield tape question

Old 08-24-2005, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleared light and windshield tape question

So as long as I'm taking a weekend or two away from the rx7 working on my S replacing the rear bumper, I was thinking of getting a few things done I was planning for a while.

My question is 1. for those who removed the widshield tape, has everyone been able to get it nice and clean afterwards. I once saw an S that had removed it, and it was full of residue from the tape. Was this guy just lazy in not cleaning it, or is it sometimes irremovable?

2. for everyone that has cleared their headlights, has anyone had problems with condensation or humidity afterwards inside the light casing?

Thanks,

Phil
Old 08-24-2005, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=designfreak,Aug 24 2005, 01:08 PM] 2. for everyone that has cleared their headlights, has anyone had problems with condensation or humidity afterwards inside the light casing?
Old 08-24-2005, 11:23 AM

Phil,

Windshield tape- use a blow dryer or heat gun on a low setting to soften up the tape and the glue. There may be some residue, and that should come off wiht some elbow grease and mineral spirits. As far as the headlight clearing goes.... if the enclosure is sealed properly, it won't leak. I have had 2 different sets on my car over the last 3.5 years and have had no leaks. there is a thread on headlight clearing if you want to do it yourself, and you can ask Richie or me any questions you may have.

hope this helps

Mitch
Old 08-24-2005, 11:29 AM

awesomne, thanks guys
Old 08-24-2005, 11:48 AM

Is Ricks the best place to get the diffusers..is there any other place that sells them as well?
Old 08-24-2005, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by designfreak,Aug 24 2005, 03:48 PM
Is Ricks the best place to get the diffusers..is there any other place that sells them as well?
as far as I know, Ricks, is the only place

Mitch
Old 08-25-2005, 03:04 AM

Get Goo Off or Goo Gone to get the windshield residue off. Just watch where you spray it. It works great. Home depot sells it.

Deiger
Old 08-27-2005, 04:54 AM

i took off my tape and used 3m adhesive remover. got it at some autoparts store. lots of rubbing and about 2 hours to get it right. followed up with some polish and it looks great. there was one dull spot abut the size of a thumb print under the tape. i can see it, but you have to look real hard to find it. i like the look much better though.

good luck!
Old 09-03-2005, 04:22 PM

DO NOT USE GOOF OFF!

I only had the resedue in 4 different places around the windshield. Goof Off worked great on 3 of the places....

It didn't work so well on the 4th place.... it took the clear coat off.....

And, no, I didn't let it sit on there for days. I had a clean wet rag to wipe the trim off with after rubbing the glue off.

I concur with the "use mineral spirits" opinion.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:25 AM

How about Goo Gone? I used it to remove the adhesive from my old badges so I could place my new S badges, and I had to let it soak for a couple hours. It didn't do anything to the clear coat.

Quick Reply: cleared light and windshield tape question