South Florida Owners from South Florida

First Time AutoX

Old 06-23-2003, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time AutoX

This Sunday will be my first time AutoXing. Where can I get a helmet for cheap???? Also any advice I should know about AutoXing for 1st timers. Thanks
Old 06-24-2003, 03:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a helpful link for first time autocrossers. It's pretty thorough, and I'll summarize a few key points here.

The main limitation on speed the first few times you autocross is the driver! If you keep practicing, you will get better and learn a lot about car control in the process.

That said, you will need to do a few things to get the car ready:
1) Set tire pressure to about 36 front and 34 rear on OEM SO2s.
2) Make sure that you have more than 1/4 tank of gas. The S2000 can lose power in hard corners if the tank level is too low.
3) Take everything out of the car that isn't tied down. You will need to remove floor mats, and check carefully under the front seats for anything loose that might have rolled under there. Bring a box or bag to put everything into. A large plastic garbage bag is handy for keeping things dry.

Here are a few suggestions to get yourself ready:
1) Show up early and help set up the course so you can learn it well. Learning the course so you know where you're driving is a key part of driving fast. Walk the course several times!
2) Bring sun and rain protection, plus plenty to drink.
3) When you're not driving or working, there's a lot of sitting around. Don't be afraid to ask questions and learn. Watch other (good) drivers on the course to see how they handle turns.
4) Bring a helmet. I bought my helmet online, so there may not be enough time to do that before next weekend. It's really important that the helmet fits your head, so go to some local stores and try them on. Make sure the helmet is Snell approved (not just DOT) so it can be used attrack events as well.
5) Have fun!
Old 06-24-2003, 03:25 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I brought my helmet at Gables Honda (the motorcycle shop on Bird Rd). Also ePowerSports, who has a few local stores, sells helmets. Cheap helmets can be usually found online, but I don't think you're have enough time to get it by Sunday unless you order expensive overnight shipping.