South Florida Owners from South Florida

Off S2k topic: Looking to move to Fla in a few years. Need advice.

Old 12-11-2003, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off S2k topic: Looking to move to Fla in a few years. Need advice.

Hello Floridians!!

I have been thinking about moving to Florida for a while now. I was born in Miami but moved to NYC when I was very little so I don't remember it. I am just sick of the cold weather, and the people (NYC attitude). I've been down to South Beach Miami twice in one year for a total of 2 weeks. I am currently in the field of equity securities trading compliance. I am in the process of obtaining my CPA exam (credit for 3 out of 4 parts) and plan on taking the Series 27 and maybe the LIFA licenses. This will leave me open to several field opportunities including: public accounting, compliance, and FINOP. Can anybody give me any advice as to where would I be able to find work in my field? I hear Boca Raton, Ft. Lauderdale and/or Miami are best bets. As much as I love Miami, I hear that the crime rate is rather high compared to NYC. I guess then it would be better to consider Boca Raton or Ft. Lauderdale.

What are the salary differences between NYC and Florida? I wouldn't think there would be a dramatic difference especially in Miami and Boca since the cost of living is pretty expensive down there as well. I have many questions, but then my post will be long. Can anybody give me some insight as to the cost of living and/or lifestyle in south eastern Florida? Are there any other areas I can consider? Thank you everyone for any advice you can give me.

Mike
Old 12-12-2003, 03:13 AM

Mike, since you are considering a move to S. Florida, I'm moving this to that forum. You will get more/better replies from the South Florida group.
Old 12-12-2003, 04:22 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This has been discussed in the past... and the cause of many flame wars.

My reply is based solely on my own opinions and personal experiences, so take it as that.

I love Miami, plain and simple. I moved up to Fort Lauderdale and lived there for 8 months about a year and a half ago. It was boring boring boring and did I mention boring? Besides the Fort Lauderdale Strip and movies, there is absolutely nothing to do. The people are a bit nicer then those in Miami, less psycho drivers on the road. Also the cops there are all red necks assholes who target minorities driving sports cars. In the 8 months there, I had received 2 dozen tickets for stupid crap, from speeding to having illegal blue headlights.

In comparison, Miami is fun, beautiful and full of life. The women are beautiful, sure there are beautiful women everywhere, but Miami is the place to be if you are unattached. Lots of things to do, there are events every weekend. Great choices of clubs, restraunts, malls, etc. Hot spots are South Beach, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, Downtown (being rebuilt and modernized). As for crime, I think Miami is no worse than any other big city. Crime is to be expected, no matter where. However, with the exception of one case, all of the recent rash of S2000 seat theft has occurred in Fort Lauderdale and Broward County. My S2000 hasn't been vandalized or keyed, nothing. I did have an E46 M3 stolen right in front of my job nearly two years ago. Some people will make it seem like Miami is dirty and full of crime, but thats not the case, believe me. As long as you don't go running around in Overtown or park your car in some abandoned side street in the middle of the night, the chances of you being thugged on in Miami are slim.

I don't know too much about Boca other than generalizations, like its where all the rich old people live etc. I don't put too much weight into that.

Salary in NYC is much higher, but then again the cost of living is much higher as well. A one bedroom apartment in a good area will run you about $1000. A nice 3/2 house in a good area will cost about $300K. Compared to Boca and Fort Lauderdale, I do believe Miami is more expensive. Property gets cheaper as you go north.

Miami or Fort Lauderdale/Boca depends on your own preferences. If you're married with children, Fort Lauderdale is probably the better choice for you. Less expensive, better schools, quiet. If you're young and single, then Miami hands down.
Old 12-12-2003, 04:38 AM

Well, I hate to differ with Mav , but some of what he said isnt exactly accurate. I've lived in Broward County (which is the Fort Lauderdale area) since 1986, so here is my take:

Broward County is more suburban than Dade County (Miami area). Out in the western part of the county, property is very expensive (I bought my very small 2/3 house for $130k and sold it 4 years later for $230k...property continues to skyrocket out here!) so Mav is a little off when he says its cheaper the further north you go. Its fairly expensive in nice areas of Dade County, its REALLY expensive in nice areas of Broward County and then its cheaper again if keep heading north. At that point you are going to be in a less populated area and things are more spread out. You can get good deals on property out there but be prepared for a long commute to either Miami or Fort Lauderdale. Chances are that's where you will be working.

As far as boring goes, again I have to differ here. Broward County has lots of things to do. Its far from boring. We have tons of clubs, restaurants, movie theaters, parks, entertainment complexs, festivals, etc. We are home to Sawgriss Mills, which I think is the largest mall in the state and its the second most visited tourist site (after Disney World). Its a huge mall with an entertainment complex.

In all fairness, there is probably just as much stuff to do in Miami as there is in Fort Lauderdale. Its just a matter of preference and familiarity. Mav only spent 8 months here so its understandable that he might not know where to go for fun, as compared to the places in Miami that he is far more used to. I know that I wouldnt know too many places in Miami to go.

That's the crux of the whole issue really. There are lots of people in Miami who seldom or never venture to Fort Lauderdale, and vice versa. Why is that? Because there is an equal amount of fun, housing, jobs, nightlife, stores, etc in both places.

No matter which place you decide, the are only about 35 miles apart, so its not a big deal to live in one place and spend a lot of time in the other.

My suggestion would be to rent an apartment wherever you think you might be employed. Lots of us commute between the two cities and its a pain. I drive an hour each way because of the traffic.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-12-2003, 03:06 PM

Well... it seems that the cost of rent in Miami is lower than Manhattan but pretty comparable to the surrounding boroughs like Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island (with the exception of Bayridge or Dyker Heights in Brooklyn). I live in Staten Island which is part of the NYC area and for my condo, I can charge $1200 rent for a big one bedroom with pool, tennis court and garage. I am assuming it will be about the same in Miami. If I move, I intend to rent out my condo since my mortage payment is quite low since I refinanced and the FMV went up considerably in one year. Real estate value in Staten Island is going up pretty quickly and I would want to hold on to it for a while.

Are the salaries really a lot less than Manhattan? When I was down there, things were just as expensive down there as they are up here (clothing stores, restaurants, clubs, etc.). Car insurance and utilities are the only two expenses I can imagine would be less than NY, other than the lack of state income tax which isn't much considering my tax bracket. Are there a lot of opportunities for someone in the securities or accounting industry?

I think Miami is the city that best blends a tropical NYC esque coprorate environment with NYC nightlife.

Thanks for the replies. Keep em coming!
Old 12-12-2003, 03:52 PM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Salary-wise, you should do some research on salary.com to compare and contrast in your field of expertise. Generally speaking, yes Miami salary is lower than NYC. In my field, theres a $21K difference when comparing the median, pretty substantial. In terms of other things, in my experience NYC is more expensive but it also depends on your preferences on clothing, restaurants, etc. A Dolce and Gabbana tshirt will be $100 here or there.
Old 12-13-2003, 05:54 PM

I hope folks don't take this the wrong way but if you can speak Spanish, you're one step
ahead of the game. I lived here in 1987-90 and you could see the influx of immigrants
slowly changing the DNA of the city (in my opinion, for the good) but after arriving here in August, I
have been exposed to a tremendous difference in Dade county compared to the previous time period. It
just seems like if you only speak English, you are at a significant disadvantage in the job market and to be blunt, there
doesn't seem to be any great push to resolve the bilingual issues that confront non-Spanish speaking
people in Dade county. I thought, while debating moving here from Vermont in late summer,
that the OPPOSITE would be true...that more of the citizenry would embrace their new language
but it just appears that everywhere you go, the opposite is true. I've called several
customer service places down here for various reasons and invariably, I will get someone on
the phone that doesn't understand me.
I love the area and I'm glad I made the move but it certainly hasn't come without
its tribulations. Then again, I'm in Homestead which from what members here
have told me, is heavily immigrant and has no particular motivating factor in
pushing English on its new inhabitants.
Anyways, I don't want this to be off-topic but just a heads up. If you can speak Spanish,
you are 10 steps ahead of the game in the job market.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:57 AM

Russ that is true anywhere you go, glad i have that quality. Am too looking to move to FL in about 1yr or so, same here...tired of the snow the coats golves hats and weather in general. Mom bought a house for about 125k, here in NYC for that amount i can probably get a one room condo in a bad neighborhood. To get a house like she did in broward for a safe neighborhood here would be somewhere in the 350k range, thus me moving sout. Plus is convt weather year round.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:09 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TurboVtk
Russ that is true anywhere you go, glad i have that quality.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:56 AM

true but my job is in westchester that would be a pita to live that far, when are you moving down? when i go in a year or so i will be most likely looking at ft. lauderdale stay in moms house which is empty at this point and then get my own. greek and russian that is cool. teach me and ill teach you spanish again lol

Quick Reply: Off S2k topic: Looking to move to Fla in a few years. Need advice.