South Florida Owners from South Florida

Seat thefts in Pinecrest

Old 08-01-2005, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Seat thefts in Pinecrest

Saturday night Dave and I had dinner with some friends. The guy works for the Pinecrest Police Department. He knows I have an S2000 and told me (like I didn't already know) about how seat thefts are a major problem. Just recently, he had a guy who called for the THIRD time to say that his roof was slashed and the seats jacked.

If you're in or around the Pinecrest area, keep a close eye on your car if you're leaving it outside of a secure garage.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JerseyGirl,Aug 1 2005, 05:32 PM
Just recently, he had a guy who called for the THIRD time to say that his roof was slashed and the seats jacked.
And they didn't do anything to protect themselves . I would think that after having seats stolen even once I'd be looking at some form of protection ... like an alarm or seat locks!
Old 08-02-2005, 04:36 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only real protection is to buy a house with a garage. Despite my alarm and seat locks, my garage is the only thing that has prevented my top from being slashed and seats being stolen.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:17 AM

What do you mean Pinecrest, like South Miami Pinecrest, or by Pinecrest school in Ft. Laud?
Old 08-02-2005, 06:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KeithD,Aug 2 2005, 09:17 AM
What do you mean Pinecrest, like South Miami Pinecrest, or by Pinecrest school in Ft. Laud?
Pinecrest in the south Miami area.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:19 AM

IF YOU LIVE IN pinecrest you should have a garage if this happens to somebody for the third time sorry to say but its there fault for not securing yourself a little better
Old 08-02-2005, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by SpoonS,Aug 2 2005, 11:19 AM
IF YOU LIVE IN pinecrest you should have a garage if this happens to somebody for the third time sorry to say but its there fault for not securing yourself a little better
Just because you live in Pinecrest doesn't mean you should have a garage. Most families in the Pinecrest area have on average 3 cars, and most homes do not come standard with 3 garages. Needless to say, not all the cars can fit in the garage.

That being said...I find the comment about having your seats stolen for the third time being your own fault, a little ignorant. The defintion of being a victim suggests an outside force beyond your control adversely affecting you. While installing an alarm and seats locks are preventative measures, they do not guarantee that your seats will not be stolen and your top not being ripped.

My top has been slashed twice and my seats stolen once. I have since installed an alarm, but this by no means would prevent my top from being slashed again (the perpetrators won't discover the seats locks until after the top is ripped, and most likely will become pissed and vandalize the car even more).

While we don't live in a perfect society where our belongings should intrinsicly be secure because they are "ours," the assumption that a car being parked on your property is safe would not make someone at fault for being negligent. That's basically asking everyone to hire an armed security guard 24/7.

Albeit the circumstances are specific for each person/car, and providing the theft isn't an insurance fraud, I would suggest a little more empathy towards people who have had the misfortune that you so callously sneer at.

-_-
Old 08-02-2005, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by mav,Aug 2 2005, 08:36 AM
The only real protection is to buy a house with a garage. Despite my alarm and seat locks, my garage is the only thing that has prevented my top from being slashed and seats being stolen.
Just curious, If you car has always been in your garage,,,,how do you know the alarm and seat locks wouldn't protect your seats????

I agree, there is absolutely noting you can do to protect the top. I will say way back when when I was installing car stereos, we recomendeed that the doors stayed unlocked. The theory was they would hopefully try the door before they cut the top. The door would set off the alarm, and the crook would leave. If he has big Balls and doesn't leave.....well then it really doesn't matter.

My understanding is that the only person to actually loose his seats with seatlocks was Jonathan. I don't think there have been any other instances of seat theft with the locks...Kodkan would know.

Now if my car had been broken into even once, and I didn't do something to protect it.... well then that would be my fault. If you don't dicourage crooks, then there is nothing to stop them from comming back.

I recomend seat locks and a good alarm for any S2k that isn't in a garage.

Mitch
Old 08-02-2005, 11:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JerseyGirl,Aug 1 2005, 02:32 PM
Just recently, he had a guy who called for the THIRD time to say that his roof was slashed and the seats jacked.
Some one dosnt like that guy

Quick Reply: Seat thefts in Pinecrest