Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Alignment Question..

Old 07-04-2011, 06:18 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Seymor Butts
I think the reason for the "seized bolts" story is due to nothing else by lazyness. Its a fact that to do an alignment on a S2000 is hard work. Once you align everything and start to adjust caster, it changes all the other specs again. Its really hard to get everything in order and perfect. Hence why some Honda dealers charge nearly $300 to align the car.

I just don't like being lied to - which I was. None of my bolts were in aged condition to be seized.
that's what confused me as well.

I got an alignment from Scott/racecartech 6 months earlier (4-5 months of those months the car was in storage!) and he had no problems. Also my car has never been winter driven so I was quite surprised.

I needed a more aggressive alignment so I got it done there at the same time I got my fenders rolled
Old 07-04-2011, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by purplemonkeydishwasher
^^ are the fumes really that bad? I've not done that procedure for a while and not too often but didn't know it was all that dangerous?
Well I don't know if the fumes are really THAT bad but do you really want to breathe that crap in? If possible, best to try and avoid that stuff IMO.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:38 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

If you try and heat up the surrounding of the bolt enough to break it loose you will ruin the bushings and need to replace them.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:27 AM

i would recommend going to scott (racecartech) shop. he did a really good job with my car, and my bolts were in there pretty tight. i dont think ill go anywhere else beside him. plus his price is awesome, $100 for all four corners. not bad.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are heating up your bolts, becareful you don't heat up the bushing too much. Try to focus on the bolt itself. If your bushing gets too hot, it expands, and when it cools down it will never go back to the original shape. Then you'll be F'ed.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:30 AM

Update: this afternoon I jacked up the car an had a go at loosening the nut/bolt on the lower arm on the right rear of the car, without heating it up the bolt through the bushing was seized solid, so the work done by the shop I took the car to was honest. Other people may have had different interactions and experiences, however the bolts are not moving without heat on my car. Next step is to try warming it up slightly and breaking it free. If that fails then original advice to replace the entire lower control arms on all four corners will have to be done.

Thank you for the honest work and diagnostics. It sucks that I have to divert money to fixing problems instead of spending it on performance upgrades.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:29 PM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

thats odd guys. I wouldnt jump to any conclusions just yet. I had an alignment done at the same shop in the spring and they were able to do it fine. I doubt this is a way to boost business (maybe just a lazy or really timid mechanic), and like someone said doesnt seem worth ruining a reputation over.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:33 PM

The shop in question is top notch, I just wish I lived closer.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:32 PM

I'm locking this thread, its getting out of hand, It wasn't started for a flame war, it was a fact finding mission. I had a simple question for the community, some people have given really helpful advice and others have tried to use it as a way of bringing the reputation of a good shop down.

For future reference if you have issues with a shop and their practices I may suggest you talk to the shop owner and express your concerns, flaming online behind a keyboard wont get much accomplished. My short experience there has been good, the diagnostics on the alignment was 100% true and the bolts are seized solid. I will explore all my options and try alternative methods before going to the extreme of replacing all my control arms.