Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Engine Issues

Old 05-06-2016, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Issues

Hi guys,

Last year I heard a knocking sound in the engine. What I discovered was that a the electrode from the spark plug broke off and disappeared in my engine. I searched for it using a camera but was unsuccessful. I also discovered a helio coil as I pull out the broken spark plug. I ended up storing the car because I had no time to address at the time.

Now I am looking to get it back on the road and spoke to my mechanic and he suggested sending it away to have it re-bored and replace the head gasket.

Anyone else experience this issue?

Would love to get the forums thoughts on options to address. I am not in the market to purchase a complete engine.

Thanks for your insights...

-Andrew
Old 05-06-2016, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mushu_S2K
Hi guys,

Last year I heard a knocking sound in the engine. What I discovered was that a the electrode from the spark plug broke off and disappeared in my engine. I searched for it using a camera but was unsuccessful. I also discovered a helio coil as I pull out the broken spark plug. I ended up storing the car because I had no time to address at the time.

Now I am looking to get it back on the road and spoke to my mechanic and he suggested sending it away to have it re-bored and replace the head gasket.

Would love to get the forums thoughts on options to address. I am not in the market to purchase a complete engine.

-Andrew
I dont want to scare you...but the exact same situation happened to me. I ended up needing a new engine.

Sorry to bear the bad news, but I hope maybe you can find another solution
Old 05-06-2016, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Thanu31
Originally Posted by Mushu_S2K' timestamp='1462561774' post='23959197
Hi guys,

-Andrew
I dont want to scare you...but the exact same situation happened to me. I ended up needing a new engine.

Yikes - what were they unable to fix it your engine? Anyone have a long block for sale?
Old 05-06-2016, 12:17 PM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

Inline pro is your friend.

My car is currently at their shop and they're super competitive on pricing for rebuilds.

Chances are there's something scored in your cylinders so you're going to need a refresh
Old 05-06-2016, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mushu_S2K
Originally Posted by Thanu31' timestamp='1462564656' post='23959255
[quote name='Mushu_S2K' timestamp='1462561774' post='23959197']
Hi guys,

-Andrew

Yikes - what were they unable to fix it your engine? Anyone have a long block for sale?
[/quote]

Yea like he said, my cylinders were scored, and I had knocking. Needed a rebuild, but I found a good deal on a used one instead.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by kryptonite
Inline pro is your friend.

My car is currently at their shop and they're super competitive on pricing for rebuilds.

Chances are there's something scored in your cylinders so you're going to need a refresh
Thanks for the shop reference.

Any idea of approx costs to fix? Engines on Ebay are like $4-$5K. Not in my budget right now.

Cheers,

A
Old 05-09-2016, 07:10 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You should be able to get one locally for under 3k
Old 05-09-2016, 07:45 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by afzan
You should be able to get one locally for under 3k
Find one. I'll take it.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:58 AM

i got mine last year for $2100
Old 05-09-2016, 11:59 AM

Received 3,358 Likes on 2,441 Posts

I'll buy your dead block for almost nothing, if you need to get rid of it.

Quick Reply: Engine Issues