S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Southern Ontario S2000 Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/southern-ontario-s2000-owners-195/)
-   -   How should I go about replacing clutch? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/southern-ontario-s2000-owners-195/how-should-i-go-about-replacing-clutch-1184161/)

GoP-Demon 04-27-2018 07:51 PM

How should I go about replacing clutch?

I'm in the Waterloo area and my clutch engagement is super high right now. I'm pretty sure thats a sign thats its almost done. Theres no slippage, but taking off from 1st is getting pretty annoying.

So where should I buy parts from and who would you get to install it? My car is stock. The local honda dealer was about total 2k all in. I'm thinking about doing the clutch myself, but I'm just afraid of getting the car that high or something going wrong.

zeroptzero 04-28-2018 05:08 AM

It is quite the process as you need to lower the engine, remove the driveshaft, and of course the tranny. Doing it on jackstands can be done but you need the appropriate tools, and having a second set of hands really helps. I did it in my garage, having Nick's help was important getting the tranny on and off, and using the two person method to remove the driveshaft bolts which can always be tricky. I hate working under a raised car on jacks but we made it work.

Is your clutch rod adjusted properly as that can affect the engagement point ?, if the clutch isn't slipping I'd probably leave it. My integra has 190k kms on it and it still engages low, though I'm sure it is coming due for replacement, so the engagement point isn't always an indication that your clutch needs replacing. If your clutch isn't slipping try to move the engagement point through the clutch rod adjustment and see if it helps.

d1000rr 04-28-2018 05:49 AM

Adjust the clutch pedal rod before paying for a new clutch...
if the clutch isn't actually slipping then it doesn't seem like you'll need to replace it.
If that doesn't help, then go the new clutch route...

starchland 04-28-2018 08:30 AM

Car has been sitting over winter? Try a bleed first

GoP-Demon 04-28-2018 05:12 PM

I thought all the clutch adjustments were to get rid of the slack? You can adjustment engagement point?

noodels 04-28-2018 05:55 PM

Gearbox is 100 lbs,so eat a breakfast B4
adjust pedal under dash to lower the point of engagement .<Fulcrum angle> as it may be pre adjusted.
If Not,
Replace

starchland 04-29-2018 10:47 AM

Do you have the FSM? Not a bad idea. Available in PDF online too

sleepR 05-04-2018 10:32 AM

I've thought a lot about this, as my engagement is similar, right near the top, only need to depress the clutch pedal a tiny bit. This happened after doing a clutch fluid flush and I had to readjust the master cylinder rod. No slipping, grips fine. I keep thinking if the clutch eventually goes, whether I'll do it myself over a winter, but clearance on jack stands plus whether I can get help is a big concern. The ACT/OE combo is reasonably priced, it's the labour that kills.

starchland 05-04-2018 03:20 PM

Not sure how bleeding clutch could affect engagement unless air was in the line or introduced in the line? Maybe try readjusting the pedal. Clutch labour can be had for 400$. I would say doing a clutch job on jack stands is a labour of love, not to save $$$.

zeroptzero 05-04-2018 04:38 PM

^ yeah Jeff has a great point. When my engine blew I had no choice but to pull the engine in my garage. I bought the tallest jackstands I could find. I honestly hate working under cars, I used 6 jackstands, and shoved the wheels under the rockers and kept the jack underneath the car as well, you can't be too safe in that environment. Having an extra set of hands is a huge benefit maneuvering the tranny, and two-person driveshaft bolt removal procedure. If you strip out one driveshaft bolt hex head you will wish you paid $400+ to do the entire job at that point. Having a number of specialty tools really helps, and a compressor with air tools if doing it yourself.