Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Possible blown diff mount

Old 08-31-2015, 07:09 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Possible blown diff mount

Noticed a dried up brownish discharge behind the RH Diff Mount, not much, just like fluid had squirted out, hit the underside of the trunk and dripped down. Can't see anything on the diff mount itself.

Any comments?

RB
Old 08-31-2015, 08:44 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

very common - you can replace them, fill them with urethane, throw some solid collars on there, etc
Old 08-31-2015, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by afzan
very common - you can replace them, fill them with urethane, throw some solid collars on there, etc
Thanks Afzan, good see you at the track on Friday.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:27 PM

Received 3,370 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Are they fluid filled like the engine mounts ?

Funny you post this Robin, I seen an odd brownish fluid dried up on my last exhaust, wonder if it dripped down from the diff, like you described squirting up and then dripping down ?
Old 08-31-2015, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Are they fluid filled like the engine mounts ? Funny you post this Robin, I seen an odd brownish fluid dried up on my last exhaust, wonder if it dripped down from the diff, like you described squirting up and then dripping down ?
Hey Joey, yup they are oil filled and the brown stuff is the oil. I think they get torqued up and then pop. Fluid squirts all over and drips on the exhaust and stuff.
Nick suggests drilling two holes and filling with liquid urethane. I bought some from Home Depot for $5.77 per tube. Gonna do both rear mounts.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:23 PM

Received 3,370 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkman199
Are they fluid filled like the engine mounts ? Funny you post this Robin, I seen an odd brownish fluid dried up on my last exhaust, wonder if it dripped down from the diff, like you described squirting up and then dripping down ?
Hey Joey, yup they are oil filled and the brown stuff is the oil. I think they get torqued up and then pop. Fluid squirts all over and drips on the exhaust and stuff.
Nick suggests drilling two holes and filling with liquid urethane. I bought some from Home Depot for $5.77 per tube. Gonna do both rear mounts.
Thanks for the reply Robin. Are you having any symptoms associated with this - noise ?

If you get around to doing the repair take a couple of pics.

Luckily I have a set of low mile Ap1 mounts with only 37k kms on them, I better have a good look at the factory ones.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you fill with urethane. Do you need to lift slightly on the diff so that pressure is off the mounts. this way it can cure without any sage?

Probably anal however, do it right once I guess.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:39 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

The driver side is the only one that seems to explode. I removed mine from the car when I filled it.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:01 AM

I plan on removing both sides and filling them on the bench. Per Nick, drill a hole top and bottom, rinse the cavities out with brake cleaner and blow out with compressed air.

Fill with urethane and cure for 24 hours (at least).

I will take some photos of the process and post.

BTW, it was the passenger side which failed.

RB
Old 09-01-2015, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by hawkman199' timestamp='1441071902' post='23732854
Thanks for the reply Robin. Are you having any symptoms associated with this - noise ?

If you get around to doing the repair take a couple of pics.

Luckily I have a set of low mile Ap1 mounts with only 37k kms on them, I better have a good look at the factory ones.
No noise, just noticed the stains during my usual post track day tear-down and clean-up.

Will post pics of the rebuild.

Quick Reply: Possible blown diff mount