Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

What to replace...

Old 01-02-2013, 05:06 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default What to replace...

I will be redoing my suspension in the spring (Konis with either Tein or Espelir springs). Now just wondering what are some things that I should replace while ripping everything apart. Are there certain parts that will be undoubtedly shot after 13+ years ? PS Happy 2013!
Old 01-02-2013, 05:26 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

The frame mounting nuts on the front uppper control arms can strip out due to rusting after not being touched for a few years, if yours strip out hit me up as I have an easy fix and it is a crappy feeling when they strip on you.

Give your swaybar endlinks and bushings the once-over while you are under there,
Old 01-02-2013, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best thing to do would be to redo all the bushings in the control arms to a nice set of energy polyurethane ones. Theyre pretty affordable compared to power flex or the mugen ones.

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t...00_suspension/

Id also avoid Tien springs and look into Swift with a set of Koni dampers. Swift makes some of the best springs out there. Also look at H&R springs.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:52 PM

Tien is what I bought the car with & just what Ive been running the last few years and I dont feel like I have reached the point of overdriving them yet, but will take your thought into consideration - what do you like about swift? I have heard lots of +. I dont want too much of a drop, I tend to do lots of backroad driving and need the ground clearance . Now the bushings seem like a no brainer - looking into that.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by starchland
Tien is what I bought the car with & just what Ive been running the last few years and I dont feel like I have reached the point of overdriving them yet, but will take your thought into consideration - what do you like about swift? I have heard lots of +. I dont want too much of a drop, I tend to do lots of backroad driving and need the ground clearance . Now the bushings seem like a no brainer - looking into that.

The swift springs along with any other you pick would be a custom order affair. The Koni dampers have adjustable perches for ride height. I dont think I would suggest getting the standard lowering springs. It would be best to match a spring rate with the valving in the Koni dampers you want to buy. Im sure you dont want to ruin the handling of the car by miss-matching springs and dampers, I'm a firm believer in doing it once and doing it right . Not only will handling be improved, but braking should be effected in a positive way too.

http://www.swiftsprings.net/advantage.html

http://www.hrsprings.com/products/springs/
Old 01-02-2013, 07:20 PM

Thuoght you were talking OTC kinda deal. I would imagine its probably best to lower the car by perch rather than a shortened spring since this would preserve the shock stroke and keep the geometry closer to oem? not taking the correlation between spring height to springrate into account

Is there a source for the energy bushings? seems they arent out yet. What really caught my eye was they have Rear Differential Carrier Bushings
Old 01-02-2013, 07:24 PM

Thuoght you were talking OTC kinda deal. I would imagine its probably best to lower the car by perch rather than a shortened spring since this would preserve the shock stroke and keep the geometry closer to oem? not taking the correlation between spring height to springrate into account

Is there a source for the energy bushings? seems they arent out yet. What really caught my eye was they have Rear Differential Carrier Bushings
I know a few members were able to purchase them in the US as stated in the Suspension subsection. Any Energy dealer should be able to order them. Im not sure if there are any local retailers who can order them but you might want to give Teknotik or Speedstar a call / email to check.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:28 PM

great. what did your bushings look like Reapur?
Old 01-02-2013, 07:33 PM

great. what did your bushings look like Reapur?
Well, they look ok... But im sure they're nowhere near new. If funds permit ill be replacing them with a set of energy bushings this next season. Im going to need new diff bushings and engine mounts. The car should feel like a totally new animal when I get around to doing it. The coilovers i got this summer made a huge difference in all aspects of the feel of the car and its much more controllable at the limit and when the back kicks out easier to keep in control. Front sway bar and bushings are the main suspension parts I want to fix up this season.