Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Who's Running An Oil Pressure Gauge ?

Old 01-16-2013, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Defi-Link Meter BF running with the Control Unit II. Very accurate.

The Defi sensor is the same thread (1/8PT) as the OE "idiot" pressure sensor so I just swapped it out and tied off the OE connector since it only controls the light in the dash.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by C63AMG

The Defi sensor is the same thread (1/8PT) as the OE "idiot" pressure sensor so I just swapped it out and tied off the OE connector since it only controls the light in the dash.
What the thread pitch? 28?
Old 01-16-2013, 08:50 AM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

nice gauge. That is nice to have a sensor with the same thread pattern as the oem sensor. I always read that the oem sensor female port is a BSPT thread ?, maybe your sensor is BSPT
Old 01-16-2013, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by momo652
What the thread pitch? 28?
Yeah BSPT is 28. Where as NPT is 27

Did you know some people jam the NPT in the BSPT hole?

Originally Posted by JFUSION
nice gauge. That is nice to have a sensor with the same thread pattern as the oem sensor. I always read that the oem sensor female port is a BSPT thread ?, maybe your sensor is BSPT
When they don't specify, BS is assumed. 1/8PT = 1/8BSPT.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:18 PM

honestly the easiest thing to do is to buy one of the brass T fittings us turbo guys use to run oil feed from the OEM pressure sensor location, that way you can still retain your OEM idiot sensor so the light isnt on, and have a nice clean out of the way location for your sensor to screw into.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:35 AM

Thanks for all of the replies. I decided to get the AEM digital gauge. I am going to a local fittings company to look for an a fitting to use the new sensor with the oem setup. I have no idea where I'm going to mount the gauge though, lol. I need to find some room for this thing, I'll figure that out once I get it in my hands.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Reapur
honestly the easiest thing to do is to buy one of the brass T fittings us turbo guys use to run oil feed from the OEM pressure sensor location, that way you can still retain your OEM idiot sensor so the light isnt on, and have a nice clean out of the way location for your sensor to screw into.
The OE sensor is normally open and only closes when it reaches a critical pressure to turn the light on. It's completely pointless if you're running a proper gauge.

I wouldn't recommend using your OE sensor at the end of a "T" fitting if that's what you're referring to. It will sit too far away from the block amplifying the vibration. A few people have had this stretch and destroy the threads into the block since it's fairly soft.

If you want to run both your bet would be to install a hose into the block and remote mount.

Thanks for all of the replies. I decided to get the AEM digital gauge. I am going to a local fittings company to look for an a fitting to use the new sensor with the oem setup. I have no idea where I'm going to mount the gauge though, lol. I need to find some room for this thing, I'll figure that out once I get it in my hands.
If you're not planning to use the OE sensor (I wouldn't bother with it). Then get a hose made up that goes from 1/8 BSPT Male to 1/8" NPT Female since the AEM sender is likely NPT. Then just mount your AEM sender close by.

If you really want your OE sensor then you can use a "T" at the end of the hose.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:59 AM

[/quote]
If you're not planning to use the OE sensor (I wouldn't bother with it). Then get a hose made up that goes from 1/8 BSPT Male to 1/8" NPT Female since the AEM sender is likely NPT. Then just mount your AEM sender close by.

If you really want your OE sensor then you can use a "T" at the end of the hose.
[/quote]

Yeah I believe the dummy light won't come on if the oem sensor is removed so I will likely go that route. Thanks for the suggestion Jason.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:07 AM

Yeah I believe the dummy light won't come on if the oem sensor is removed so I will likely go that route. Thanks for the suggestion Jason.
I can tell you 100% that it does not. It needs a +V signal from the senor to turn on.

Edit: I believe it's +5V but I could be wrong. My OE sensor has been removed since 04.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1358441954' post='22273295

I can tell you 100% that it does not. It needs a +V signal from the senor to turn on.

Edit: I believe it's +5V but I could be wrong. My OE sensor has been removed since 04.

Quick Reply: Who's Running An Oil Pressure Gauge ?