Texas - Houston S2000 Owners Greater Houston Area S2000 Owners

Relocating To Houston

Old 03-20-2005, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relocating To Houston

It looks like my wife and I are re-locating to Houston. She will most likely be working either downtown or in the Galleria area, I will be working in the Woodlands. Many people suggested the Memorial Park area for the fact it is minutes from either downtown and the Galleria, but it is also close to 45 northbound. From my brief visit it did not look like traffic was that bad heading out of the city in the mornings or coming back in the evenings.

I welcome any suggestions...
Old 03-20-2005, 08:15 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Personally, I would live in the Woodlands, and have the wife take Metro into town. You will get a larger House for less $$. I wish I had a job downtown as I would take the metro. Basicly Metro runs a bus straight from the woodlands to downtown, nonstop in the HOV lane. I used to get a 30 in nap in the morning and one in the evening. It was great. Also many of the companies will pay for the metro pass instead of the parking for their employees. Housing costs are far lower outside of Houston. The woodlands is a city with lower tax values, both sales tax and property.

And directly to your question, normally a reverse commute has no traffic. I-10 being the only freeway that this does not hold true. So the Memorial park area would be great place to start a drive to the woodlands every day. The cost of housing (to buy or rent) is very high inside the loop (610) so you would be looking at higher then Austin housing costs. Also the sales tax rate is also higher.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:37 AM

i live near the galleria and office out of the woodlands. What Jeff said above is right but I have no problems commuting to The Woodlands b/c Im always opposite of traffic.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:58 AM

Do you have kids? if not, then I would recommend the Heights, where we live. (Inside the loop, basically near where I-45 & I-10 intersect, north of I-10 / west of 45.) Homes aren't as cheap as in the Woodlands but they're less expensive than Memorial & it's a historic neighborhood which is really cool. Kinda 'kitschy' like areas of Austin are.

I work in the Galleria area and have about a 15 minute commute. Mark works downtown & has a 5 minute commute. What John & Jeff said about the reverse commute north on 45 is correct, it would be a breeze for you at about 25- 30 minutes. BUT taking metro from the woodlands down to the galleria I think would be a major PITA for your wife. I know I wouldn't want to take a bus, but that's just my opinion.

However, if you do have kids, I'd stick with the 'burbs. better schools, bigger houses & yards, etc. If not, stay inside the loop if at all possible!

good luck!
Nance
Old 03-20-2005, 09:33 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Just as a Note: I did the bus thing for about three years. I was hard pressed to start doing it, but once I started, I loved it. My over all quaility of life went up. The bus seating is better that a plane, High back seats. Also all of the riders on these commuter buses are professional doing the same thing.

Now I agree with Nance too. I would live inside the loop if I did not have kids. So the two that have posted, both live inside the city and have no kids. I have kids and live outside the city.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:34 AM

Thank you for the feedback.

To address the Metro notion, there is no way my wife would be comfortable taking the bus everyday. She needs her car so that she can have her freedom. Also a side note, her company will be providing parking.

Since I have not had much time in Houston, Memorial Park was really the first area that we have seen. I will definitely have to take a look into the Heights.

We don't have any kids and are in our early 30's. We are not looking to buy immediately, but we did have the chance to look at some apartments in the Memorial Park area. Does anybody have any feedback on either Memorial Towers or Sienna apartments???

We bought a house in Austin (actually Pflugerville) and we are definitely paying for it right now. The housing market sucks right now!!! Our only option is to lease the house.

Hey S2KMugen, what company do you work for in the Woodlands?
Old 03-20-2005, 09:49 AM

http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/layers/

http://www.click2houston.com/trafficpulse/index.html

check your traffic here to see how your commute will be..its not always that accurate but it helps.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:55 AM

NO WAY on the woodlands. The taxes there were obscene! They totally rob you!! There are way too many insane driving teenagers and Rednecks. Its a nice place to visit but given the choice between living there and Hell, I would take Hell. I lived there for three years and really hated it.
(p.s. live near the galleria now)
Old 03-20-2005, 10:27 AM

I would recommend Sugar Land, but this area is growing rather fast for the main freeway (59, southwest freeway). It's got major construction from sugar land area to greatwood/new territory.

-Trung
Old 03-20-2005, 12:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to live in Sugar Land. Avoid moving out there as you will pay for it traffic-wise. Driving towards downtown might not be so bad, but coming home especially past the Dairy-Ashford/Sugar Land exit...let's say there's a crucial bottleneck to blame. Plus, houses in Ft. Bend will not appreciate in value as quickly as those inside the loop or the Woodlands.

Jeff and John are right. My wife works in Humble and she has no problems getting there/back from the Galleria area.

Quick Reply: Relocating To Houston