Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

How do you know when it's time to change careers?

Old 03-13-2008, 01:11 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default How do you know when it's time to change careers?

How do you know when it's time to change careers? Not just get a new job at a different company, but change careers altogether?

I'm a Windows server administrator, and I'm beginning to question that.

The company I worked for was purchased by another one a couple years ago. While still being an IT guy in general, the details of the day-to-day job are quite different, as well as the people I work for/with. I really enjoyed my job and co-workers before this, but I'm totally burnt out on my job now. And when I scan the want-ads for server administrator jobs in Dallas all I can think of is "Why would this new job be any better than what I have now?"

Part of me really wants a career change, I'm just tired of supporting other peoples' server problems. But all my interests either cost money (like cars), just don't pay much (like work at a ski resort), or I have no talent for despite my interest (like photography.) Or it would require some formal schooling that's hard to support with a mortgage or such (like computer or mechanical engineering.)

I read news stories now and then about people who quit their high-paying, high stress jobs to travel the world on a bicycle, or open up a shop in the country selling something-or-other that they love. I just

Anybody else here gone through a mid-life career change? How did you go about it, and are you a happier person now?

Thanks for reading my rant.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude,

I have been in computer field for 7 years, moved from one platform to another, from one technology to another. I may be able to help you out or give you some good advice, but it is tough doing here. If you are coming to any event soon then we can talk about it?
Or if you want to meet up and discuss this, just pm me and I would be more than happy to help
Old 03-13-2008, 01:19 PM

Hehe...you and I should sit down for a beer. I had a similar dilemma a few years ago. Not to say I've totally mitigated the problem, but I've taken steps that (I believe) are sending me in the right direction. And we probably have somewhat similar backgrounds.

Ryan
Old 03-13-2008, 01:21 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I know how you feel, I'm about the same way with my job and had a long hard decision to make. Tomorrow is my last day at FedEx and I start at a new company in a different position with a much different culture and environment on Monday. The way I finally came down to my decision is that I realized every morning when I wake up I really disliked going to work. Life is too short to not enjoy what you do and where you spend most of your time during your life.

Best of luck to you!
Old 03-13-2008, 01:24 PM
Banned

Subtle changes are the name of the game. The way you can do this is to get a different job internally within the same company. You are already there, so start applying. Learn something new internally, and then you can expand your horizons from there. When I was starting out in IT, it was pure telecom from a business/process perspective. That was great, but when telecom crashed, I had to scramble and focused my efforts more on IT, systems development, business analysis and testing. After a few years, you'll find yourself knowledgeable in many areas, but an expert at none. But the key is, you could almost fit into any IT organization. But the 1st step is learn at the cost of the current employer by making a move to a new position internally. I guess what I am trying to say is you can be a general IT consultant rather than focused on one specific area, which will limit your choices.

Hope that helps.

TxP
Old 03-13-2008, 01:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas_Phantom,Mar 13 2008, 01:24 PM
Subtle changes are the name of the game. The way you can do this is to get a different job internally within the same company. You are already there, so start applying. Learn something new internally, and then you can expand your horizons from there. When I was starting out in IT, it was pure telecom from a business/process perspective. That was great, but when telecom crashed, I had to scramble and focused my efforts more on IT, systems development, business analysis and testing. After a few years, you'll find yourself knowledgeable in many areas, but an expert at none. But the key is, you could almost fit into any IT organization. But the 1st step is learn at the cost of the current employer by making a move to a new position internally. I guess what I am trying to say is you can be a general IT consultant rather than focused on one specific area, which will limit your choices.

Hope that helps.

TxP
I couldn't agree more. I'd been with the same company for 6 years and work was starting to feel like a job instead of a career. I inquired internally about making a move within my field but to a different group. I couldn't be happier. I'm learning something new each day, working on jobs with increased visibility, and I enjoy the people I am working with.

Most companies would much rather a good employee transfer than leave all together. It costs them more than you might think to re-hire.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Clovis,Mar 13 2008, 01:34 PM
I couldn't agree more. I'd been with the same company for 6 years and work was starting to feel like a job instead of a career. I inquired internally about making a move within my field but to a different group. I couldn't be happier. I'm learning something new each day, working on jobs with increased visibility, and I enjoy the people I am working with.

Most companies would much rather a good employee transfer than leave all together. It costs them more than you might think to re-hire.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:41 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah, my dilemma is that I've been doing server support stuff for 15 years now, since I was an intern in college. My dissatisfaction with my job is making me question staying with this field at all. But as you say, perhaps a move to a different group is what's in order - then again, part of the issue is that I'm just not very pleased with the company I work for now, due to that purchase. Hmm.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've thought about changing careers a few times. I could easily get a gig full-time as a roadie for a major band and travel the world... but my wife would probably kill me, I'd take a serious (1/2 or more) pay cut and the hours (unbelievably) are longer.

Sigh.

Basically I realized I'd enjoy the change for a while and then be back where I started, only broke and alone.

How's that for non-advice advice?

I can say that switching positions within the same company can be a good move. Initially I didn't think I'd ever done so, but then realized that at a previous company I had moved from a programming role to a producer role and ended up learning a lot. Now I'm in a role where I utilize both skill sets and very happy, and I'd never have been able to do this job without that initial in-company switch to learn the management side of things.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There has been a lot of good advice in this thread so far.

Let me second what Cosmos and Clovis have said - life is far too short to spend 8, 10, or 12 hours a day doing something you really don't like.

I felt exactly the same as you ten years ago, only I was working in a different field (advertising). I knew that I had no interest in spending the rest of my life doing what I was doing. I wanted to go back to school and get an engineering degree, but I too had a mortgage and other commitments. So I started setting aside as much money as I could, the idea that at some point I would save enough that I could afford to quit my day job, go back to school full time, and get the degree and career that I wanted. I also started taking night classes - one or two per semester at the local community college - that I could apply to the degree I wanted.

I got laid off at the end of 2000. I cashed out all of my investments, combined that money with my severance package and the savings I had accumulated, and went back to school full time. I delivered pizza in the evening to make ends meet.

Today I have a degree in mechanical engineering, and I spend my days designing powertrains for mobile mining equipment. In other words, I get to play with 1500 horsepower diesel engines every day I love my job and the company I work for. Making the decision to start over from square one wasn't easy, but it's the best decision I've ever made, and it has paid off in the long run.

Quick Reply: How do you know when it's time to change careers?