Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

I'm finally going to production with my exhaust!

Old 07-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default I'm finally going to production with my exhaust!

As some of you know, I spent most of last year (over 1000 hours) developing an exhaust system for the S2000. My initial goals were to A) provide good performance with an HFC, and B) eliminate drone. After testing literally 100+ designs, I had something that exceeded my goals by a long shot. It is actually a new design strategy that I believe will change the way performance exhausts are made for any car, so I filed a patent application on it (so I can officially claim "Patent Pending")

Below is a video showing how I spent 4-5 mornings or evenings each week after coming home from work, putting my car on jack stands, removing some piece of the exhaust, cutting, welding, installing, then testing before going back to work the next day.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te_y9cFyi-w&hd=1[/media]

After taking about 8 months off from the project, I am now moving forward with a production unit. However, since the S2000 market is already saturated with so many exhaust systems in every flavor known to man, many of which can be purchased used, I've decided not to offer a full exhaust system. Instead, I am offering a header-back mid-pipe that will retrofit almost any existing exhaust system. It simply replaces everything from the header to the rear axles (give or take an inch or two).

The downside is that the pipe isn't cheap. While common sizes of tubing and mandrel bends are cheap, megaphones and large mandrel bends are not, especially in stainless steel. Also, since this is a small production run, the manufacturing costs are high. For me to be able to sell 10-20 units (my initial goal), I need to price them at $1000 each in order to break even. If you come to my home in McKinney, I would install the mid-pipe for free.

If you have an aftermarket exhaust with a flanged (detachable) rear muffler section, like the Invidias or T1R Sparrow, I will consider discounting the price $200 if you allow me to spend an extra couple hours on the install to make a "bolt-on" adapter instead of cutting / welding straight onto your mid-pipe. If you're interested, let me know what you have.

Here are a few notes:
1) The catalytic converter is not located in the stock location, so it is not legal for SCCA's STR class
2) The performance gains on a totally stock car are just a bit better than replacing the stock catalytic converter with a test pipe (federal crime)
3) To achieve the full performance gains, you need a way to tune for a lower VTEC engagement (3600 RPMs is ideal)

Old 07-12-2012, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yay!! congrats on the pat. pending! Need any extra testers?!?!
Old 07-12-2012, 11:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

bump for awesomeness
Old 07-12-2012, 12:17 PM

Major bump for American entrepreneurial spirit at its best! I love this kinda stuff. Congratulations
Old 07-12-2012, 12:31 PM

I live close to you with an AP2 - Ill help test whenever

Good job!
Old 07-12-2012, 01:14 PM

Might be a good idea for you to organize a quick gathering to show off your system so anyone interested could see and hear what you came up with. (...of course, I'm in Sales and that's how I always think!)
Old 07-12-2012, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea i would recommend attending more of the local meets to help get the word out and get constructive feedback!
Old 07-12-2012, 06:17 PM

Is it only for hfc?? What about test pipe??? There is a huge sound quality and noise level between both also in performance too.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats Gernby.

Happy to see the effort come to fruition.

Would be happy to help in any way you need.

I think the meet idea where you could show off the goods is a great way to get local intrest built.

Let me know and I can host up another meet at my place and we can get your car up as an example. Possibly find a road to get some quick data logs and have those on display so people can see that ugly dip in the 5000rpm range go away.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks guys. I appreciate the offers for testing, but I've completed all the testing that is going to be done. I truly believe I spent more time developing and testing this exhaust than any other aftermarket S2000 exhaust. I wouldn't try to make that claim over the OEM exhaust, since I was blown away by the engineering that went in to that one. Although, it would be helpfull to test fit the pipe on an AP1, just to make sure there's not some tiny difference that would make this pipe contact something. It's a tight fit, for sure!

I will certainly "market" the pipe at the next BMW and NTAXS events, and will look into the other social gatherings. If anyone wants to come see it, or experience it in my car, please contact me. I live in McKinney, and work in Plano.

This mid-pipe isn't for an HFC, it has an HFC. There is literally NO REASON to run a test pipe anymore. By moving the HFC further downstream in the exhaust, after an expansion chamber, the performance penalty goes away. The only remaining impact from the HFC is reduced sound level, emissions, odor, and soot. By replacing the whole mid-pipe from the header back, you ensure that you won't run into the sound quality issues that come from mis-matched components. For example, some exhausts are designed specifically to be run with the stock cat. If you install that same exhaust with a test pipe, it will have poor sound characteristics (drone, rasp, etc.). Similarly, other exhausts are designed specifically to be run with a test pipe of the same diameter. If you install that same exhaust with the stock cat, HFC, or incorrect diameter test pipe, it will have poor sound characteristics.

Quick Reply: I'm finally going to production with my exhaust!