Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

J-Swapped S2000 by Marcucci Motorsports

Old 02-22-2010, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default J-Swapped S2000 by Marcucci Motorsports

So, as some of you know, I've been thinking about this for a while. I'll use this thread for official updates on the project. The first "victim" is Js2k. You can find a blog that he has set up here:

http://www.jswaps2000.com/blog.php

For further reading on the topic, you can see some past threads here:

My threads on the topic:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=753329&st=0

The HPD car:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=752844

The budget for this project is at about $5k which will include some custom machining and fabrication, as well as the engine itself. In the future I would hope to offer a "kit" to future swappers to make this easier and cheaper.

Where is the project at right now? I've reviewed some of the engine/ECU tech and have laid out the wiring for a J35A3 (05+ Acura RL motor). While this presents some additional wiring challenges (see the blog) I think this motor is the best base to start with. I originally was looking at the J32A2, but finding a good engine, harness, and ECU has proven to be nearly impossible. I'm looking to keep the stock Honda J series ECU so that the car can pass emissions testing here in the DFW area.

Ideally, I would prefer to build a J from scratch w/better rods and valve springs and standalone fuel management, with the intention of bumping the rev's up to 9k. This should be geometrically feasible but would be cost-prohibitive for all but the deepest pockets. My pockets are pretty shallow right now, and I think Js2k is happy with his budget where it's at!

Thoughts/comments are welcome, I don't mind justifying the project but would prefer to keep arguments about why some of you might think this is a stupid idea to a minimum.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Todd,

Looking forward to the completion of this project and seeing some test data, as well as comparing the handling since the weight will be different.

In glancing at the blog, this caught my eye for the J37A1:

"...in order to get a stock ECU to work, we are stuck with 6MT models of the ECUs since the AT versions will barf codes for the AT not being connected."

The new TL SH-AWD is offered with a 6MT with the 3.7L for the 2010 model year, so an ECU from that car, albeit rare at this time (and possibly as rare as the '03 CL-S 6MT), would be available. I think ECU cost might be the main limitation there, but I don't know what it retails for, and there likely won't be many on the used market.

Ryan
Old 02-22-2010, 03:59 PM

would the ECU from the 2007-2008 J35 6MT TL-S not work?
Old 02-22-2010, 04:05 PM

I'm not sure if you are referring to the 03 ECU or the new one in your post, but FWIW, newer USDM-made ECUs are surprisingly cheap. Looking at acuraautomotiveparts.org:

04 TL (6MT): $534
06 TL (6MT): $408
10 TL SH AWD (6MT): $527

03 CL-S (6MT): $709

06 Accord 3.0 (6MT): $506
08 Accord 3.5 (6MT): $501

Granted, none are what I would call "cheap," but compared to the $700+ for the CL-S, which is probably made (and only stocked) in Japan... they are cheap.

That's good info to have, though. I have put together an extensive excel file w/part numbers and data on the engines but I haven't updated it past 08/09 models. I need to.

If anyone is interested in data overload on this... you can view the files here:

http://www.marcuccimotorsports.com/jobs/J-series/Honda V6 Engines.xls

As you pointed out- cost is a concern, and these motors aren't cheap at a junkyard. IIRC the TL-S 3.7 bottom end (from Honda/Acura, new) is as cheap as the 3.7 for the MDX... which is pretty cheap. At junkyards, though, the 3.5L out of the Type S, which is the same as out of the RL, commands a hefty hefty premium ($3k+ IIRC). They are also rare. Generally anything current year and up is unobtanium.

For more information overload, I found this cool presentation by Honda on the 3.7L:

http://www.engine-expo.com/07ex_conf/pres/...sukawa_foss.pdf

Pretty crazy... only 3mm of Al between cylinders. I suppose the liner material counts, but still... that's not much material between cylinders.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Sponsor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Can't wait!

AP1 and AP2 Clear Headlight Diffusers!!! - Clear out your S2000 headlights!
LED Conversions for all S2000 lights
Keyhole Covers - Get the Shaved look
Oil Drain Valve - Easiest Oil Change ever!
_________
For LEDs for your other cars, head to our new website: SupernovaLEDs.com. Same great quality, easy-to-use website. Pick your car, we'll show you what fits.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by rioyellows2k,Feb 22 2010, 06:59 PM
would the ECU from the 2007-2008 J35 6MT TL-S not work?
It should, though it really shouldn't matter. Reports are that the J32A3 ECU works fine. I will research the TL-S ECU, though, I would imagine the "right" tuning would be a better starting point. Should be the same tuning as in the RL (virtually the same motor).
Old 02-22-2010, 04:22 PM

I can't wait to see how well this turns out!
Old 02-22-2010, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed- will try to help out where/if I can with whatever information Phillip (or I) find if he moves forward with his one of his own.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

How do you plan to tune it? Does Hondata have any solutsions, or are you going to use a piggy back?
Old 02-23-2010, 06:32 AM

I don't plan to tune this first one- just drop it in. For what I would like to do in the future, I would probably use an E-Manage to tune a built one, or one with an extended rev limit, in order to keep emissions. I don't care to get a sticker "fixed" and I don't have an interest in building up a J to stick in something pre-OBD2.

Quick Reply: J-Swapped S2000 by Marcucci Motorsports