Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

North Texas newbie here...

Old 07-18-2002, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys. I have been lurking around for a couple of weeks now. Have gotten a lot of good information about your beloved Honda.

Just a little history on me. I graduate from UNT in December and I will be getting about 20k as a graduation gift to go towards a car. I am very lucky to be getting this gift and I thought, why not do something I wouldn't normally? So, since I love cars, why not buy a quick one?

Honestly I probably go through a list of cars each week, researching till I throw up then going back and picking some more. So I really don't know for sure what car I'm going to get but I will tell you that an s2000 is in the top 10 for sure

My current car is a 90 Integra GS. I bought it last year after having my trusty 86 Accord get kissed from the back on I35 by a Saturn who was hit by a truck holding about 5 horses. Wow was that a fun night. So I get some cash for my totalled Honda and greedily spend my savings for a quicker Honda. And in all my wisdom spent some more money to lower it and put an intake on it. So now its just a much more annoying Integra with a little better handling (I'm much older and wiser now

My teggy has been very good to me even though I abuse it daily. I think it's in denial.

Wow. It's like I'm writing a book or something.

Ok just wanted to introduce myself!

Old 07-19-2002, 01:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

another Mesquitian
Old 07-19-2002, 05:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't appear to be looking for advice but you will get it.

You seem to be a Honda guy; one to another, the S2000 is the pinnacle of Honda engineering in just about every aspect. The F20C is the culmination (on the street at least) of all their years of designing engines.

As time goes by, all the thoughts that the F20C left no room for improvement (mods) have gone out the window. While you basic i/h/e are expensive and don't yield much, others (a/f correction, cooling, turbo, blower) do yield a fair bit.

The car is not a very practical "single" car, but it is a decent car for daily driving. Tires will get expensive, but it has enough room (IMHO) for getting back and forth to work and light purchases.

Considering the age and value of the Integra (and the reliability), I'd suggest keeping it for a daily driver and hauling around crap. Maybe a foul-weather car. I've got a truck I use for that purpose, the S2 is primarily a track/weekend car for me.

Welcome to the forum, I hope you make the right choice.
Old 07-19-2002, 08:35 AM

First, congratulations on your graduation. My opinion is not likely to be a popular one. Take the $20,000 and put it in the bank, make a down payment on a house, or even invest it (yes really). Believe me, I know its not nearly as much fun. Cars come and go.

You don't mention how old you are or if you have a job lined up. Assuming you are under 25, insurance is going to be steep, and the annual cost of operation, while not ridiculous is not what I would call inexpensive.

Just my $.02.

Congratulations again on the graduation.
Old 07-19-2002, 02:32 PM

Thanks for the congrats. It's been 5.5 long freaken years but finally I will have something to show for it. Sadly, no, I don't have a job lined up. I am trying like mad to get one though. I will graduate with a b.s. in Business Computer Info. Systems (M.I.S. to the UT/ A&M crowd). So I'm hoping to get a relatively good (paying) first job.

Yes I considered a down payment on a house for long time. But realistically, I don't know where I will be in a year so finding a house doesn't seem feasible right now or even in the near future. I'm almost expecting not to stay at my first job for more than 5 years unless I enjoy it (which would be rare right out of the box).

Oh I'm 23 by the way. Haven't researched insurance on an S but was quoted about 4500/yr for a 92 NSX (I think, don't quote me on that). So I would venture to guess that I could get some good insurance on an S for 150-200 a month? I will look into it when I get closer to the finish line.

So all that to say, if I have a job lined up before I get a car, then I'm getting a fun one. If I don't have a job I will probably sit on the money if I am allowed (since it is a present, I'm not sure what my freedoms are). I figure I could survive with my teggy if I got it rebuilt and the lowered springs replaced with stock.

A question for you all.

Any of you that have ridden/driven a lowered car with the equivalent of Eibach Sportline springs and Tokico non-adustable shocks: How stiff is a stock S compared to this setup?

hey marcucci, thanks for your input. It was short and to the point. I will more than likely hold on to the Integra and use it as my beater.

Any further opinions/shout-outs/cash donations will be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-20-2002, 04:04 PM

I also just purchased my new s2k in June and the insurance wasnt too expensive I pay $70/mth for mine and that is for all the insurance you can possibly get on a car...but I also have a '02 honda crv 4 wd EX on there too so my total cost for both a month is $140...again I am a single woman at the age of 33 not a 23yr. male...from what my guy friends say women get cheaper insurance than men...we are not considered a high liability like young men..I have my insurance with Allstate... i would suggest as well to keep your other car as the workhorse car and the s2k as the play car (at least list them that way with insurance)
Old 07-20-2002, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by marcucci
You seem to be a Honda guy;
No, there can only be one HondaGuy & that's me!
Old 07-22-2002, 04:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW I think my insurance on the S is about $400 every 6 months which is half of what it was before I turned 25. If you have a decent driving record, insurance on the S should be LESS than it is for a Prelude! I was shocked, but that's the way it was when I traded the 'lude for the S.

RE: Lowering- I'd suggest you leave it stock. Why? Most aftermarket setups don't stiffen the ride much, they just lower. For the price and the work, and the fact that the S already is low, I wouldn't mess with it. I think the car is already low enough and the suspension just too sweet to mess with. Get the car and drive it for a while before you make any serious plans (or buy parts), I suspect you will be shocked as to how it handles/rides compared to anything else you've been in!
Old 07-22-2002, 07:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have to agree with itsjustme. I hate to rain on your parade, but there aren't many jobs out there, especially in your field. I am in I.T. here in Plano, and I am amazed that I still have a job. If you have any debt (especially credit cards), pay them off. You probably won't be making as much money as you think, and the money that you do make, won't stretch as far as your would expect either.

I had a '91 Integra GS, and I loved it, but the extra 110HP that the S has really is nice.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:56 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gernby
[B]I have to agree with itsjustme.

Quick Reply: North Texas newbie here...