Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

?s about racing seats

Old 12-18-2009, 06:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default ?s about racing seats

Im wanting to get a racing seat for the track and most of the seats ive looked at don't come with rails. Is it possible to use the rails on my OEM seats of do I need to get aftermarket rails??
Old 12-18-2009, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you'll need aftermarket rails. some are fixed, some are sliding, some are oem height some are low. it depends on the seat you get.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some things to keep in mind:

1. Will you still use the stock seat belt? If so, where will you mount the belt buckle? Will it be a PITA to fasten the belt?

2. Will the seat/rail combo fit nicely? My seats barely fit because the seats are a bit too wide for the rail. It's best to get the smallest seat you could fit in because our cars are tight with that transmission tunnel in the way.

These are just some problems I ran into. I've had a bad experience finding my seat/rail combo. If I could do it over again I would just get the Racetech RT1000 or Recaro Profi SPG with Taitec rails.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:19 AM

Here is a link to the ones im getting. I want the type 5s with the low rails. Im not going to be using the oem seat belt, Ill get a harness.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=655477
Old 12-19-2009, 08:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Racing seat + five point harness - proper rollover protection = Really Bad Idea.

I hope you've got a proper cage or at least a four point roll bar that is 2" higher than the top of your helmet, or you're just asking for a broken neck in a rollover with a harness and the OEM shorty roll hoops.

FYI - you say you're adding the seats "for the track" - most track day organizers and autocross clubs will not allow you to use non-OEM shoulder belts in a convertible without factory or aftermarket four point rollover protection that meets "the broomstick line" at a minimum. See this page for an explanation of "the broomstick line", and a little documentation on what I went through several years ago to make my Miata safe for the track.

I also wouldn't trust my safety on the track to any non-OEM seat that wasn't FIA homologated, but that's just me.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:39 AM

^Good information here!

FYI, driving on the street with a harness (if its your daily) is not really enjoyable. You cannot reach the radio, or really anything else you need to get to. I had them in my integra a while back and it proved to be rather inconvenient. Just my .02
Old 12-19-2009, 11:25 AM

I've got Recaro SPGs with Taitec rails in my S and love them.

BUT I am also a 30" waist and the seats fit snug around my hips and upper body.. Friends with 36"+ waists squeeze into the passenger seat at times, but I can tell they do not exactly 'fit'. If youre more than a 34" waist the standard Recaro SPG is probably not for you.

These seats are also a tight fit in the s2k, the glove box is blocked by the wings allowing it to be opened about 2" forward (just enough to open the secret compartment or hit the trunk release).

I would highly recommend testing whatever seat you're planning on buying prior to purchase.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:23 PM

i have the type 5's in my car. they fit me perfect and i am a 30'' waist. i love them though. i am using the oem seat belt and it works rather well. when i get some money together then ill be getting a 6pt roll cage for use of harnesses. lol
Old 12-19-2009, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by altiain,Dec 19 2009, 09:45 AM
Racing seat + five point harness - proper rollover protection = Really Bad Idea.

I also wouldn't trust my safety on the track to any non-OEM seat that wasn't FIA homologated, but that's just me.
The reason I want a new seat is because when I'm at the track (I don't have much of a problem with it daily driving), I slide left and right in my oem seat.

Whould I be able to run if I had a different seat with the oem belt??
Old 12-19-2009, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jspd,Dec 19 2009, 10:39 AM
^Good information here!

FYI, driving on the street with a harness (if its your daily) is not really enjoyable. You cannot reach the radio, or really anything else you need to get to. I had them in my integra a while back and it proved to be rather inconvenient. Just my .02
Thats why we have the radio controls at next to the steering wheel

Quick Reply: ?s about racing seats