UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

OEM style spoiler advice

Old 10-26-2014, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM style spoiler advice

Looking for some advice, where is the best place to buy an oem style spoiler? Preferably painted?

I've found several links on eBay, but there seems to be a big range in prices, cheapest being £80, with some ranging to £150. On the face of it they are both exactly the same, same style and painted to any S2000 colour code of my choice, mines Moon Rock.

With such a price difference I can only assume there is a difference in the quality of the spoiler, or quality of the paint and finish. Has anyone got any experience of buying these from eBay or recommend an alternative? Some also say "No bolts required" and don't come with that as an option. I definitely want to bolt the spoiler on, although i'm dreading drilling the boot holes! However I don't think I could bare the thought of it flying off otherwise!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAINTED-HO...item5412771859

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Painted-HO...item2ecea5b449

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Painted-Ho...item3397405776

Cheers
Old 10-26-2014, 02:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Search for a company called bmwchop, it's a Taiwanese company. A lot of members get their spoilers from them including me. They come painted and the colour match is spot on. Was about £80 when I got it.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:13 PM

I've very recently bought one from bmw chop, in fact about 3 weeks ago.

It arrived within the week after I ordered, painted in my coulour with a great paint finish. They come supplied with 3m tape to fit quickly and hassle free, which I used. Personally, wouldn't bother drilling and bolting it on, the 3m tape is easily strong enough to hold the spoiler securely.

I paid £88 and tbh was absolutely gob smacked at the quality and price, and would definitely recommend to anyone.

I did receive a letter from fed ex around a week ago wanting another £20 import duty, which I'm happy to pay as it's still just over £100 in total, I do know some people haven't had the extra charge, I guess it's luck of the draw really.

Just do it, you won't be disappointed!!!
Old 10-26-2014, 11:43 PM
jsh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have from the above mentioned ebay seller .

I've had mine for a couple of years and its stuck on and I use it for pushing the car back into the garage rather than start it up and drive it in so its fairly safe to say its quite firmly attached
Old 10-27-2014, 12:18 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jsh
I also have from the above mentioned ebay seller .

I've had mine for a couple of years and its stuck on and I use it for pushing the car back into the garage rather than start it up and drive it in so its fairly safe to say its quite firmly attached
Wow, you're brave!

I have one and the wife using is to open the boot... Which I tell her off for!

Also while at Jack Smith's a bloke came over to talk to Ray and he lent on the spoiler... held on fine though.

OP - Don't drill your boot.

Also anyone with Imola Orange - don't get one from BMWchop, the paint match isn't good enough...
Old 10-27-2014, 05:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes the supplied 3M tape is more than enough to hold it on, not necessary to drill your boot. I open and close boot using the spoiler and it is still very firmly stuck on there. As long as you do the proper preparation before sticking it on you won't have any problems ie use the alcohol wipes and get that sucker CLEAN!

If I remember correctly, the US thread that I found bmwchop on ages ago had photos showing all the different colours. I think they struggle to match orange, yellow and maybe red?? All the rest were fine.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:53 AM
CDP

I'm thinking of getting one too. Do you need uprated springs so that the boot release still works ok? Or does it just not open as far with the spoiler on?
Old 10-27-2014, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Riknos
Also anyone with Imola Orange - don't get one from BMWchop, the paint match isn't good enough...
Thanks for that heads up!
I presume they will sell then unpainted?
Old 10-27-2014, 06:07 AM
jsh

Originally Posted by mikey k
Originally Posted by Riknos' timestamp='1414397898' post='23383801
Thanks for that heads up!
I presume they will sell then unpainted?
Mine was unpainted! Primed only.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:23 AM
MI5

Originally Posted by CDP
I'm thinking of getting one too. Do you need uprated springs so that the boot release still works ok? Or does it just not open as far with the spoiler on?
Got mine from BMWchop as well, made no difference to opening the boot, so no need for uprated springs. Perfect colour match (Silverstone) used the 3M tape and has been on a good 18 months in all conditions and numerous washes and polishes and has not moved a single mm. As stated earlier, just make sure the bootlid area concerned is well degreased before using the tape.
There is a large posting on this topic on the site, just do a search.

Quick Reply: OEM style spoiler advice