S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   '07 Centre Wheel Caps (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/07-centre-wheel-caps-1153467/)

Flukez 05-23-2016 12:52 AM

Lovely information, I'll let you know how I get on with some before and after pictures.

Thanks again for the input everyone, helpful as always.

chrispayze 05-23-2016 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by gav86
The only issue I can see is because I've peeled off the aluminium face, the cap isn't as big as it used to be so removing with a screwdriver without taking the wheel off is slightly more tricky(there is no longer a lip between the cap and the wheel)

Dont risk damaging it, just take the wheel off and push it out from the back!

Dillon_93 05-23-2016 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by richmc (Post 23973851)

Originally Posted by Dillon_93' timestamp='1463961060' post='23973694
[quote name='MonkeyShoulder' timestamp='1463949765' post='23973602']
The centre caps on mine were in a right state (2008).
Took them out, removed the metallic layer, cleaned up the plastic cap that remained, ordered stickers from StickerDude, carefully stuck them on, hey presto, just like new :drool:

Do you have a link by chance? I could do with some new badges. Thanks

Do a search, "center caps" & eBay search "sticker dude" or Honda logo. Give it a try it's quite easy. :rolleyes:

OK if your fingers are too tired -

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/104...#entry23958207

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-Red-Ho...-/261433818419

Took me all of 30 seconds, I'm back off to bed for a rest now!
[/quote]
Haha in my defence I did put sticker dude in eBay and nothing came up for me.

MonkeyShoulder 05-24-2016 10:08 AM

Looks like all the replies have given you all the info you need.
Just a quick tip though, after you've removed the metallic layer, clean and lightly sand the plastic face of the centre cap to produce an unblemished surface, otherwise the finish won't be as perfect as it could be when you put the sticker on.

Also,as Gav86 has done, you can spray the cap before putting the sticker on, then spray lacquer over the top. This will add the finishing touch. I haven't done either, kinda wish I did, but still very happy with the results. ;)

mcrossley 05-30-2016 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by fatbaldboy (Post 23973856)
Is there a link to 'blank' centre caps that we can use as blank canvases?

I bought a set of these from eBay (though from a UK supplier) - they fit perfectly *if* you shave the outside upright bit of four legs down so the are the same diameter as the inner lip on the back. They are the same diameter as the OEM with the original foil cap. They are flat rather than having the bevel round the outside of the original if that matters to you.

At that price I bought them to play around with without destroying the originals. They came out quite well, but need sanding before applying the foil to ensure they are really flat.

The sticker man on eBay will print the Honda logos to whatever size you want if you drop him a line, I asked for 60 mm wide by 49 mm high across the outer frame which is what I measured my OEM caps to be.

Deleted03.15 05-30-2016 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by mcrossley (Post 23980216)

Originally Posted by fatbaldboy' timestamp='1463986228' post='23973856

I bought a set of these from eBay (though from a UK supplier) - they fit perfectly *if* you shave the outside upright bit of four legs down so the are the same diameter as the inner lip on the back. They are the same diameter as the OEM with the original foil cap. They are flat rather than having the bevel round the outside of the original if that matters to you.

At that price I bought them to play around with without destroying the originals. They came out quite well, but need sanding before applying the foil to ensure they are really flat.

The sticker man on eBay will print the Honda logos to whatever size you want if you drop him a line, I asked for 60 mm wide by 49 mm high across the outer frame which is what I measured my OEM caps to be.

Is that Patrick McGoohan?

mcrossley 05-30-2016 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by fullleather (Post 23980218)
Is that Patrick McGoohan?

Be seeing you.. :tipwink:

Deleted03.15 05-30-2016 12:29 PM

Not meaning to throw this thread off direction, just to say he was a brilliant actor, his face when he see's his portrait in 'Escape from Alcatraz' ;)

mcrossley 05-30-2016 12:40 PM

Yes, I enjoyed many of his appearances, he directed and appeared in quite a few Columbo episodes too. To bring this back to something slightly car related... The Lotus 7 in The Prisoner opening title sequence (reg. KAR 120C iirc) made an impression on my youthful self and inspired me to build a Caterham once I had the ability.

fatbaldboy 05-31-2016 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by mcrossley (Post 23980216)

Originally Posted by fatbaldboy' timestamp='1463986228' post='23973856

Excellent 'blank canvas' find. When I'm done fettling the qashqai and a couple of jobs on the S I'll have a go with these.