UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

72K service

Old 04-27-2011, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 72K service

Hi I have just had my 72K service done at Dutton Forshore (Lookers) Bexleyheath, however, just after the service I removed the wheels to knock out the centrecaps from the back so that I could refurb them.

I noticed how tight the wheelnuts were and wondered why, but to my horror the wheels were actually stuck to the discs as they do when they have not been removed for some time.

I do not think ther the wheels were removed during the service and I have been back to the dealer to see the Service Manager but as usual was fobbed off by the guy on the reception desk. I will be going back again but before I do I would like an opinion from you guys on the need to remove the wheels to carry out a 72K service? Particulary as the schedule says that the brake fluid has been changed.

This service cost me a masive £498.00 and if I just got an oil and filter change I would like to know where I go from here as by removing the wheels I have destroyed all the evidence!
Old 04-27-2011, 06:51 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Contact Honda UK, worked for me getting a discount when buying the wifes Jizz and was badly treated by the sales people, try a search for contact details.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:28 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

72k does not include brake fluid change so there's no need to remove the wheels at all.

Transmission and Diff fluid should have been changed though.

£498 seems excessive though, I paid £220 (£260 before S2KUK discount) back in 2008.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:55 AM

I'd never leave my car with Honda!
Old 04-27-2011, 08:32 AM

Received 128 Likes on 109 Posts

Impressive how they check everything that needs to be checked (discs and pads?) without taking the wheels off.....!
Old 04-27-2011, 08:41 AM

I will go back tomorrow ad be more persistant in seeing the service manager before writing to Honda UK. I may even drop a line to Bexley trading standards too.

The service schedule does say that transmission and diff oil were changed but I now have no confidence that they were. I said it was a 72K service but like most S2000's the car has only covered 31K but it is an MY05 and the service schedule says 72K service. So it was a 72K service price and a 72K service should have been undertaken.

I only take it to a Honda Dealership because I want the FHSH when I come to sell it.

I think that I have been well and truly stitched up here. Next year it looks like I will be asking for a good independent to do it and s*d the FHSH. I could service the car myself, I am well qualified in that respect, however, the car has a full service history and I want to maintain it with all the appropriate stamps in the service book present and correct.

Any recomendations then?
Old 04-27-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by chrispayze
Impressive how they check everything that needs to be checked (discs and pads?) without taking the wheels off.....!
I've just done my wife's beemer changing brake fluid and checking pads etc but I didn't have the locking wheel nut jobby so did it all with the wheels on, worked fine!
Old 04-27-2011, 08:49 AM
Banned

Received 131 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm sure somebody will be able to tell you if you can change brake fluid without taking the wheels off? Depends if the bleed nipple is accessible I suppose.

Does it say on the invoice what was carried out? Is brake fluid change listed?

What does the fluid look like in the reservoir? Clear and new or old and slightly coloured?

In future I'd go elsewhere for servicing. IIRC you're up near Dartford (I had some wheels off you a couple of years back) so theres a few good independants within range of you. Sure Dixon Motorsport from the forum are close to you or TGM a bit further away. You'll pay less and the service will be far better.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:53 AM

Matt,

Yes I'm the guy who sold you the wheels.

There is a tell tale film of brake fluid around the cap etc and the fluid looks clean and er-new, but there was nothing to see round the bleed nipples.

Any one who knows there way around a car can see brakepad wear through the wheel spokes and of course you can tell if there is a problem with sticking calipers or sliders by just looking at the discs. So I suppose that is exactly what they did.

Never thought about Dixon Motorsports though. They are just up the road from me. I will probably take it there next year.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:18 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Does the invoice/service schedule actually say that they changed the brake fluid? My service schedules say that the brake fluid should be changed at 81k, not 72k.

As I said before, £498 is insane for a 72k service. Did they tell you that's how much it would be before you agreed to have it done?

Quick Reply: 72K service