UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Air Pump CEL

Old 11-28-2011, 09:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Air Pump CEL

Situation:

Cold engine on Sunday, CEL comes on when I start it. The car drives fine, VTEC works etc.

I clear the code (yes I'm a naughty boy) by disconnecting the battery then restart the car...the CEL does not come on.

I start the car this morning, and after a few seconds, what seemed like a bit of a misfire (it could have just been my poor clutch control), the CEL comes on again. The car still drives fine...

I read the code this evening via the JDM blink method, and it shows 6 long flashes of the CEL, which according the WWW means 'Air Pump'. This is obviously not very helpful, and rather ambiguous. If preliminary investigations draw a blank (fuses/relay etc), is there anyone in the area that could lend me a OBD reader? It would need to be OBD1 compatible as my S is a JDM I will be in S.Wales for 9 days as of Friday if there is anyone up there that can help

AJ has very kindly given me some advice , but if anyone else is able to say where the fuses are for it (my fuse box layout is in fecking Japanese) and confirm what he has said, it would be much appreciated
Old 11-28-2011, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a scanguage ii that you could borrow. Dunno if it's obd i though to be honest.

I'd have to post it to you though.

PM me if it'd be useful.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:03 AM

Gary is a top guy, and is sending me his Scangauge to borrow. BIG

I managed to locate the 60A fuse (in the small fusebox next to the battery) and the 15A ASG fuse, which is referenced in the service manual and applicable to the airpump...both are fine.

The next step will be to whip off the NSF wheel and arch liner to see if anything is obviously apparent...I may even take the relay (possibly solenoid too) apart and see if they need cleaning up.

Hopefully the code from Gary's reader will be able to narrow down the fault if nothing comes from having a shifty around.

FWIW, JDM owners can use the following method to get 'blink codes', using the CEL light on the dash:

http://www.modifry.com/freebies/old/dtc/index.htm

The connector resides just under the dash, where a passenger's right knee would sit.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hopefully you get a useful code the code I got was not really of any use too generic, it's an air pump code but pretty useless.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure I read somewhere that someone else had an Air Pump code and it was actually the battery leads that needed tightening as there wasn't enough juice going to the components which meant a CEL - might be a quick and painfree step before pulling it all apart
Old 11-30-2011, 05:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by loftust
Gary is sending me his Scangauge to borrow.
Being delivered tomorrow. Keep us posted on what you find.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by jimpom23
Sure I read somewhere that someone else had an Air Pump code and it was actually the battery leads that needed tightening as there wasn't enough juice going to the components which meant a CEL - might be a quick and painfree step before pulling it all apart
It's funny that you should mention this as I recently installed an amp that needed a power cable to be connected directly from the battery.

I shall go and take a peek, although I replaced the -ve connection the other night because the previous one was loose, and all seemed well.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:24 AM

The battery connections are definitely tight...it does seem a coincidence that it happened not long after I added another connection the battery
Old 11-30-2011, 09:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you tried disconnecting the amp and resetting the ecu?
Old 11-30-2011, 09:24 AM

Nah...not disconnected it yet, but that is certainly on the cards.

I'll nip out again and try it

Quick Reply: Air Pump CEL