UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Brake discs need replaced?

Old 04-04-2006, 02:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake discs need replaced?

Hi all,
looking for some advice. Our S2000 was booked in for service and MOT (3 years old) and the technician has advised before the MOT that it would fail because of the rear brake discs and pads.
The car isn't used much and the discs get a film of rust quite often, however, its only done around 7500 miles since new - never been driven very hard either. I'd normally expect a set of discs to last a lot longer than this? and am a bit worried that the dealer is trying to con us.
The pads too have about 8mm left.

I know it depends on driving style but roughly how long should these last?

I asked their "service desk" who said that "3 years out of one set is very good going" - I'm no brake expert but I can't see how age and wear are closely related.

They want
Old 04-04-2006, 03:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Take it to a Tyre place for a free brake test and get a second opinion.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to ask the "technician " on what grounds they would fail the MOT

8mm left on the pads , .
The disks shouldnt be worn .

Must be something else , but i cant think what
Old 04-04-2006, 03:10 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I doubt the rear pads have much more than 8mm when in the box! They are much thinner than the fronts.

There is a faint whiff of :bullshit:
Old 04-04-2006, 03:12 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

sounds like a bit of a con but depends how bad the corrosion is. If the corrosion is on the wearing surface and more than just minor surface rust, the pads won't be able to wear off the rust and the rust will rip the pads to dust in no time flat. However, if this is the case, they can just be skimmed on the car which will not cost much.

My rear discs had done 54k miles in 6 years and didn't need replacing.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:23 AM

As above really, are they worn or corroded ??
Old 04-04-2006, 03:23 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

2nd opinion called for AND trading standards if it's BS.

horrendous if it is a lie..
Old 04-04-2006, 03:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AFAIK the main MOT criteria on brakes is efficiency and as long as the brakes still work ok it should pass even with corroded, worn, scored discs etc. I have had many "beaters" over the years with serious rust and grooves in the discs and these have all passed MOT's as the brakes still actually worked ok.

They are trying it on IMO - take your business somewhere else (getting to know a local MOT place with a good reputation and giving them a reaonable tip everytime is also good for things like a small tweak on the emmissions and "number plate issues" etc )
Old 04-04-2006, 04:01 AM
reg

Originally Posted by mikdys,Apr 4 2006, 03:48 AM
AFAIK the main MOT criteria on brakes is efficiency and as long as the brakes still work ok it should pass even with corroded, worn, scored discs etc. I have had many "beaters" over the years with serious rust and grooves in the discs and these have all passed MOT's as the brakes still actually worked ok.

They are trying it on IMO - take your business somewhere else (getting to know a local MOT place with a good reputation and giving them a reaonable tip everytime is also good for things like a small tweak on the emmissions and "number plate issues" etc )
Actually corrosion is the primary reason for rear disks failing. This is down the the handbrake being left on clamping the porous pads against a cast iron surface. When it rains this moisture is trapped and corrodes the disk. If they have surface marks (or are vented and are rusty inside) they can fail.

Options are to replace, to skim or post some pics up. Of course you can always go somewhere else for an MOT.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:18 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

there has to be a certain 'minimum' thickness of the friction surface of the disc and pad, excessive scoring/corrossion can fail an MOT. ask them to point out exactly what they thought was the problem and then see if someone else says the same.

Quick Reply: Brake discs need replaced?