S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   Buying the same car again? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/buying-same-car-again-318556/)

Putney 09-02-2005 04:59 AM

Buying the same car again?

I am thinking of my future purchase of a new S2000. i had an MY00 S2000 which was a great car, i am thinking of a new S2000 in 2006 - 2007 the only thing is i think i might be dissapointed as the novelty wouldn't be the same. I have been looking at lotus elises which would also fall into my price range and would provide some of the comforts the S2000 had ie aircon etc. I just wonder those people who have bought new S2000 are they totally satisfied like i was when i first drove my S or is there something missing?

moff 09-02-2005 05:10 AM

I am going to order another brand new S2000 in December. I had toyed with the idea of a few other cars, but nothing seems to come close, and as I don't want to pay anymore money the S2000 is perfect.

I do worry that I will get bored of it, but having said that after over 2 1/2 years of ownership and 40k I still love it. I do think it looks dated, but the 04 and new 06 have gone a long way to modernising the look of the car.

I really hope there is 2.2. too, that way the car would be lot different to my current one. I am also going to order a new 06 colour and a GT model, I will make sure the interior is a different colour too.

I can't wait to April to get a new one!

billy_i_vtec 09-02-2005 05:19 AM

i think i'd be hard pushed to buy another S unless there was a new model with some serious changes.

i'm not saying that the totally S needs serious changes but i do become bored with cars quite quickly so don't think i could buy another S which was basically the same as my last one with a few (mainly) cosmetic tweaks.

it's like playing an old record over and over again but we all know that to keep up with the pack the S needs more power and some serious restyling rather than the light dusting it seems to get year-to-year.

seems to be less and less likely that that is going to happen but you never know what's round the CORNER :D

but it's not exactly a bad wee car as it stands so i can understand why folk do but another one - especially if you are going from a 99/00/01 up to an 04+ - i think that it's harder to justify the change to a newer S from an 02/03 car though - well to me it is anyway.

GSi 09-02-2005 05:20 AM

No

Lurking Lawyer 09-02-2005 05:49 AM

Been there, done it (although more from feeling that I had to in order to get rid of my not-quite-right 02 than through any great desire) and now after 3 and a bit years of ownership am feeling restless and ready for a change.

Think long and hard about it.

(Don't get me wrong - I can't justify swapping it on any real rational basis. I still enjoy the S and it still makes me smile. I just think it's time for something new)

Paper Lawyer 09-02-2005 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Lurking Lawyer,Sep 2 2005, 02:49 PM
I just think it's time for something new

or perhaps secondhand ;) :D

Lurking Lawyer 09-02-2005 05:58 AM

Oh yes, indeed, Craig. If I do swap, it will be something which comes at pretty much whatever I can get for the S. I'm not chucking (much) more money at it.....

I'm girding my loins and starting to semi-seriously consider Trev-dom. I was browsing some of the "my Speed Six engine just blew up" threads on PH at lunchtime and good sense has started to re-assert itself! :yikes:

S2000 SM 09-02-2005 06:21 AM

Yes I would, and yes I have.

After I wrote off the MY00, I went straight out and got a new MY02.

Not quite your question I guess, perhaps mine was more a case of unfinished business. I hadn't got bored of the first one so when I came to make the decision over the replacement car, the market hadn't changed very much - nothing new to turn my head - so I went same again.

FWIW, I'm still not bored of the S and there still isn't anything new in the market that I would have instead (for the same money) :)

Shipley 09-02-2005 06:28 AM

I can't see the point. Although I adore my car, I have thought long and hard about replacing it but could find nothing to replace it with so I'm keepoing it for another couple of years.

I have no actual need to replace it as its still only on 26k miles but fancied a change, I normally change every 18months or so due to itchiness and have never kept a car as long as the S.

An identical replacement isn't a change and (again IMO) it is such a complete waste of money to go from one S to a newer one.

In your shoes I would be of the opinion that you don't get to spend that kind of cash every day so its gotta be special !

majp 09-02-2005 06:39 AM

Don't think I would.

Getting itchy feet now. Had it for almost 2 1/2 years & 36K.
They would have to change it dramatically for me to upgrade to a newer model and wouldn't want to spend potentially 8K to swap for a new one - what am I gaining ?!?.

Problem is, nothing really excites me enough to look elsewhere - keep thinking about 350Zs' and Z4s' but then again :hidebc:

When I first bought the S I was doing about 6K a year but my circumstances have changed and now its more like 16K so I'm thinking maybe - something standard and reliable for everyday (not necessarily a beater), and something a little special for the weekends.
I'd also like to do more track days which I fear in the S at present as its my daily driver.

Just my 2P.

Have a good weekend all - Looks like it'll be a good'un :thumbup: