UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Buying the same car again?

Old 09-02-2005, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying the same car again?

I am thinking of my future purchase of a new S2000. i had an MY00 S2000 which was a great car, i am thinking of a new S2000 in 2006 - 2007 the only thing is i think i might be dissapointed as the novelty wouldn't be the same. I have been looking at lotus elises which would also fall into my price range and would provide some of the comforts the S2000 had ie aircon etc. I just wonder those people who have bought new S2000 are they totally satisfied like i was when i first drove my S or is there something missing?
Old 09-02-2005, 05:10 AM

I am going to order another brand new S2000 in December. I had toyed with the idea of a few other cars, but nothing seems to come close, and as I don't want to pay anymore money the S2000 is perfect.

I do worry that I will get bored of it, but having said that after over 2 1/2 years of ownership and 40k I still love it. I do think it looks dated, but the 04 and new 06 have gone a long way to modernising the look of the car.

I really hope there is 2.2. too, that way the car would be lot different to my current one. I am also going to order a new 06 colour and a GT model, I will make sure the interior is a different colour too.

I can't wait to April to get a new one!
Old 09-02-2005, 05:19 AM

i think i'd be hard pushed to buy another S unless there was a new model with some serious changes.

i'm not saying that the totally S needs serious changes but i do become bored with cars quite quickly so don't think i could buy another S which was basically the same as my last one with a few (mainly) cosmetic tweaks.

it's like playing an old record over and over again but we all know that to keep up with the pack the S needs more power and some serious restyling rather than the light dusting it seems to get year-to-year.

seems to be less and less likely that that is going to happen but you never know what's round the CORNER

but it's not exactly a bad wee car as it stands so i can understand why folk do but another one - especially if you are going from a 99/00/01 up to an 04+ - i think that it's harder to justify the change to a newer S from an 02/03 car though - well to me it is anyway.

Old 09-02-2005, 05:20 AM
GSi

No
Old 09-02-2005, 05:49 AM
Gold Member

Been there, done it (although more from feeling that I had to in order to get rid of my not-quite-right 02 than through any great desire) and now after 3 and a bit years of ownership am feeling restless and ready for a change.

Think long and hard about it.

(Don't get me wrong - I can't justify swapping it on any real rational basis. I still enjoy the S and it still makes me smile. I just think it's time for something new)
Old 09-02-2005, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Lurking Lawyer,Sep 2 2005, 02:49 PM
I just think it's time for something new
or perhaps secondhand
Old 09-02-2005, 05:58 AM
Gold Member

Oh yes, indeed, Craig. If I do swap, it will be something which comes at pretty much whatever I can get for the S. I'm not chucking (much) more money at it.....

I'm girding my loins and starting to semi-seriously consider Trev-dom. I was browsing some of the "my Speed Six engine just blew up" threads on PH at lunchtime and good sense has started to re-assert itself!
Old 09-02-2005, 06:21 AM

Yes I would, and yes I have.

After I wrote off the MY00, I went straight out and got a new MY02.

Not quite your question I guess, perhaps mine was more a case of unfinished business. I hadn't got bored of the first one so when I came to make the decision over the replacement car, the market hadn't changed very much - nothing new to turn my head - so I went same again.

FWIW, I'm still not bored of the S and there still isn't anything new in the market that I would have instead (for the same money)
Old 09-02-2005, 06:28 AM

I can't see the point. Although I adore my car, I have thought long and hard about replacing it but could find nothing to replace it with so I'm keepoing it for another couple of years.

I have no actual need to replace it as its still only on 26k miles but fancied a change, I normally change every 18months or so due to itchiness and have never kept a car as long as the S.

An identical replacement isn't a change and (again IMO) it is such a complete waste of money to go from one S to a newer one.

In your shoes I would be of the opinion that you don't get to spend that kind of cash every day so its gotta be special !
Old 09-02-2005, 06:39 AM

Don't think I would.

Getting itchy feet now. Had it for almost 2 1/2 years & 36K.
They would have to change it dramatically for me to upgrade to a newer model and wouldn't want to spend potentially 8K to swap for a new one - what am I gaining ?!?.

Problem is, nothing really excites me enough to look elsewhere - keep thinking about 350Zs' and Z4s' but then again

When I first bought the S I was doing about 6K a year but my circumstances have changed and now its more like 16K so I'm thinking maybe - something standard and reliable for everyday (not necessarily a beater), and something a little special for the weekends.
I'd also like to do more track days which I fear in the S at present as its my daily driver.

Just my 2P.

Have a good weekend all - Looks like it'll be a good'un

Quick Reply: Buying the same car again?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands