UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

can my tyre be repaired

Old 03-27-2014, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can my tyre be repaired

Hi All,

Got a new AD08R 2 weeks ago and today when cleaning found a screw hanging out, I don't seem to have lost any pressure, but I think it is leaking very slowly,

I want to get it plugged, as I mentioned it's only 2 weeks old, but........

I'm not sure if it's repairable due to the location......right on the edge as it starts to curve to the side wall,

I've attached a pic (not of my tyre, but to help describe where it is)anyone know if it's legal to repair here, the pics quite small, but look carefully, I've put a red dot approx. where it is.
Attached Thumbnails can my tyre be repaired-untitled.png  
Old 03-27-2014, 12:00 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by baldii
Hi All,

Got a new AD08R 2 weeks ago and today when cleaning found a screw hanging out, I don't seem to have lost any pressure, but I think it is leaking very slowly,

I want to get it plugged, as I mentioned it's only 2 weeks old, but........

I'm not sure if it's repairable due to the location......right on the edge as it starts to curve to the side wall,

I've attached a pic (not of my tyre, but to help describe where it is)anyone know if it's legal to repair here, the pics quite small, but look carefully, I've put a red dot approx. where it is.
On the wall edge, that won't be reparable, I'm afraid you will have to bite the bullet.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:13 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I had a object in a similar place on a tyre in our A3. It was sent back for a manufacturer repair by my local garage ( tyre had less than 500 miles on it). Cost was £20 IIrc. A good job was done too. But your local tyre repairer won't be able to fix it.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:27 PM

ok thanks,

there's a place near me that does vulcanised tyre repairs, might try them before I ditch a brand new tyre
Old 03-27-2014, 02:54 PM

Received 343 Likes on 320 Posts

That sucks!!!!
Old 03-28-2014, 03:53 AM

As with the other contributors to this thread, I'm gonna go for "errrr, maybe...?"

Depends on how far away from the shoulder of the tyre it is.

If you don't ask though, you won't get.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:01 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

My understanding is NO, I believe it's illegal to repair a puncture outside of the central 75% of the tyre. Why risk a poss failure for the cost of a tyre, not worth risking you or the car for that.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:12 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

The tyre can be repaired, but not by the local tyre fitter it has to be sent for a vulcanised repair which is perfectly safe
Old 03-28-2014, 05:40 AM

Just an update:
Last night the tyre was still fully inflated, I decided to remove the screw, no evidence of air leak, but went to bed expecting to have a flat in the morning, this morning still fully inflated , check pressure and was still showing 33psi ( which is what I pumped to the day before), just checked again on my lunch break and still fully inflated, I guess I am a very lucky boy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2014, 07:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How deep was the screw when you pulled it out?

Won't hurt letting the vulcanising tyre fixing people to have a look at it maybe?

Quick Reply: can my tyre be repaired