UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

CEL woes

Old 02-18-2008, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL woes

Hi All,

I'm after a bit of advice.

Monday morning it was pretty cold (minus 4C) so I de-iced my car and started to drive to work. However, about 2 miles down the road the car threw a CEL. Anyway, I continued to drive the remaining 20 miles to work (most of which is motorway driving) and to be honest didn't notice any abnormal behavior with the car. So, once at work I had a search through the forum, found out how to reset the ECU and then tried it in my work's carpark. Unfortunately, even after 10 minutes with the fuse out it didn't make the CEL go out.

The problem I have now is I'm unable to get it to a garage until next week at the earliest, which means I'm going to continue to use it for my daily commute for at least another couple of days.

So the questions I have are:

- Are really cold temperatures likely to affect one of the sensors enough for it to throw a CEL?
- Am I doing the ECU reset correctly? Do I need to disconnect the battery as well as remove that 7.5a fuse? Is ECU fuse in the same place on an 07 car?
- Is it common for the S to throw a CEL? Can I expect this to happen quite a few times in the future?
Old 02-19-2008, 12:28 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

It could be just a wobble.

If its not flashing I wouldnt panic.

If it didn't go out by removing the fuse, you may well have the wrong fuse. The 07 fuse box coul'd be different.

It's not common for the car to throw random CEL's for no reason, but it's definately not unheard of.

You really need to keep the CEL there to find out what it is before resetting it - your car is also under warranty so let the dealer sort it.

Can you not pop into the local dealer for 5 mins? It's all it will tkae for them to get the code and erase it.

I would continue to drive it if the car feels ok.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:35 AM

Many thanks for your reply.

I had a chat with my local garage and I've managed to book it in for a quick diagnostic session tomorrow afternoon :-)

You're probably right about the fuse box, as the layout on mine looked a lot more populated than the diagram I found on this forum. I probably pulled out the dash fuse because the clocked reset itself :-)

Thanks again

Dan
Old 02-20-2008, 07:24 AM

Turns out the O2 sensor needs replacing :-( I must say I'm pretty disappointed that it's developed a fault after less than 5 months on the road.

Ah well, at least it's nothing serious.

Dan
Old 02-20-2008, 08:20 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

It's not uncommon on a new S - i've heard of about 4 just from this site.

Be glad it's under warranty though
Old 03-19-2008, 08:56 AM

Next problem -

I just noticed today that the metal arms which make up the roof mechanism (near driver's head) have wore a nice 2p sized hole in the roof material (only the first layer from what I can tell).

Is this something I can also claim under warranty? If so, are they likely to replace the whole roof or just patch it up with some tape?

Thanks in advance

Dan
Old 03-19-2008, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by tflpunk,Mar 19 2008, 04:56 PM
Next problem -

I just noticed today that the metal arms which make up the roof mechanism (near driver's head) have wore a nice 2p sized hole in the roof material (only the first layer from what I can tell).

Is this something I can also claim under warranty? If so, are they likely to replace the whole roof or just patch it up with some tape?

Thanks in advance

Dan
Common problem and yes it will be covered complete new top ,bad design.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:01 AM

Brilliant! Actually, no it's not it's shit, but good that they'll fix it :-)

Any ideas whether they make any modifications to the metal arms, or am I likely to get another holw in 6 months time?

Thanks for your help

Dan
Old 03-19-2008, 09:05 AM

scroll down and you will see how to sort it with extra material.(about halfway down the page.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...dpost&p=5798522
Old 03-19-2008, 09:07 AM

Premature Wearing of Roof

A number of cars are suffering with premature roof wear. There is a guide below with some preventative measures.

It seems the arm that is doing the damage can only do so when the hood is right down and it is pressed against the hood.
Operation of the hood and the movement of the car then causes it to rub against the hood and wear through, possible bigger problem for those with hardtops.

My first idea was to add a piece of black gaffa tape at the wear point to protect the hood.

Then I made a sleeve to go around the 'elbow' of the frame that seems to cause the problems:-
Added velcro hooks down the edge of a piece of black bass box cloth 12 x 14cm and wrapped this around the elbow.
Looks OK and covers any rough edges

Quick Reply: CEL woes