S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   Clunking noise - rear near side (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/clunking-noise-rear-near-side-795742/)

oxhouser 06-12-2010 11:01 PM

sounds like hub nuts to me, bit more heavy sounding than a click most noticable at low spedd when going on off revs like letting the clutch out after changing gear or depressing cluthc before a change
if that sounds about correct its likely they were not torqued up properly
I did mine a few months back and it solved it for two months, luckily the car was going back to Honda and they re torqued them and its been ok ever since, they need quite a high torque setting and a lot of home mechanics will not have a torque wrench big enough to do the job so just guess (as i did) and its not enough

s2k_Nut 06-13-2010 01:37 AM

Thanks Oxhouser the method you describe is exactly the sound and way I can create the noise, my friend does have a heavy duty torque wrench - oh wait I had a puncture not so long ago they used an air gun to put the wheel back on, though I am certain it was offside rear, still I know they didn't use a torque wrench!!!! ... I will have my mate see how they are with his torque wrench, what is the lbs setting I wonder?

oxhouser 06-13-2010 01:55 AM

its not wheel nuts but the big nut in the middle of the disc that holds the hub into the suspension
its a big nut around 30mm across flats and you have to stake the collar once tight to stop it undoing, its always best to use new if you remove them and im sure you have to change a wheel bearing, cost around £8 each so not worth not doing, if your due a service or your local dealer is freindly they will do it for free if asked

Si2k 06-13-2010 02:16 AM

Worn CV joint maybe?

cupracing 06-13-2010 02:20 AM

By the way if it turns out the be arb links, I purchased the ones of eBay for £24 a pair. Have been fine so far and is an easy job to do yourself if you have a decent jack or axle stands.

Mistress Quickly 06-13-2010 02:22 AM

AE diagnosed my hub nut click last summer. It was definitely a click not a clunk. Since then I have heard the characteristic click on other S2000s.

He advised me that the nuts are not retorqueable but are cheap to replace, as you have advised oxhouser. Tom at TGM in Fleet did mine for next to nothing when he was replacing my clutch. I'm not very good at remembering figures but I think they have to be torqued to 220 ft/lbs. Most amateurs will not have a wrench capable of this.

Hope this is your problem sorted Nut as it is an easy fix.

I'm not convinced that my clunk is hub nut related.

oxhouser 06-13-2010 04:04 AM

if it only clunks when comming on or off the power then its most likely drive train, could be worn UJ joints in prop shaft or CV joints on the drive shafts.
if its over bumps then it could be shocks loose in the rubber mounts or ARB bushes worn, worn suspension bushes can knock as they allow the hub to turn under load but i would think the car would handle like a bag of crap if they got that bad
try jacking the car up at the back with one wheel still on ground and it in gear, can you get it to make the same noise by rotating the wheel back and forth?

Chad! 06-13-2010 04:10 AM

I'd of thought a clunk would either be drop links or one of the shocks is buggered? Either those or a suspension bush.

Chad.

Ultra_Nexus 06-19-2010 08:15 PM

Hmm, stabbing on the throttle transfers weight backwards and braking transfers it forwards.

As such cannot just single out the drive train.

Sooooooo...

Try to repeat the 'throttle' stabbing efforts in reverse!

Oh, and do it in a nice quiet area.

Otherwise Paul, don't forget that when you had your geo done at Buckley, you had a dodgy bush/bolt.

Entirely possibly that this could be your cause.

As I said though, the reverse test will remove the variable of weight transfer so it is something to progress on :)

s2k_Nut 06-20-2010 12:58 AM

I think I can reproduce it in reverse also Ron ... I still have that slight (not so slight at times) metallic grinding noise from the wheel also ... my mate is going to stick it on a ramp on Mon morning to have a proper look ...

THe noise has got worse over the last few days (both noises) here is how it sounds, its as thogh there is something heavy in the boot sliding as I stab the accelerator, and I can actually feel the clunk through the car chassis as it engages ...

:(

Oh and braking does not affect the clunking noise, only acceleration.

By the way on a recent investigation one of my drop links was damaged (off side though) so replaced the pair of them ... still have this noise though.

The bush has been seized within tolerance from day one of ownership Ron, I guess it could still be that .... :confused: