UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Diff Options - Its got a whine

Old 04-07-2014, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff Options - Its got a whine

Hello All,

I've recently bought myself a S2000 and I've noticed a whine coming from the rear, it sounds central and i can only hear it with the roof up. The whine is not very loud and there is no knocking or bangs when accelerating or decelerating etc. I have had a search and sounds like its bearings in the Diff OR the crown and pinion gears. It sounds more gear like to me.

I'm going to give the diff an oil change to see if that makes a difference, but experience with other cars tells me this probably wont do much.

What are my options?

Are there Bearing kits available for the diffs or are they a Honda only part?

If it ends up being the gears, is the most cost effective option to buy 2nd hand diff?

Is there anything i can do to establish what the problem is without dissembling the diff?

I posted this in the UK bit as i want options that are viable in the UK, i.e. not having to import expensive parts, if you guys think its worth posting on the main forum then say so and i will move it.

Any help appreciated.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:16 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Dont put ladies tights in there either !!! it wont work
search <diff back lash> in USA forums some good rebuild topics

here"s one >>

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/395...1#entry7867056
Old 04-07-2014, 07:13 PM

If you decide you wish to go down the 2nd hand route I have a spare one from a pre-facelift with approx 60k on it.
I'd be interested in doing a swap+cash

The only reason I need a spare is if mine explodes (due to the V8 I've put in my car) then I need a spare to get the car mobile again to get it home then I can go about modifying in a tough diff from a supra or 350z or something.
So I'd only need it short term and the whine wouldn't bother me.

No point me busting a perfectly good diff if someone else has a better use for it eh?
Pm me if you decide this is the route for you.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:50 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Can also be gearbox shaft bearing. Quite misleading as the sound does appear to be coming from the back, but it is at the back of the gearbox, if you see what I mean.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:48 AM

Good point TangoVTEC, i suppose the rear of the gearbox is basically the rear of the seats, it sounds further back then that mind, likes is coming from the boot, but that could be gearbox sound reverberating around.

Are there any hint to bearings on the way out with out taking off the diff? what checks can be made?

Carl Bourbon, thankyou for your offer, i might take you up on it once i assess the diff.

Have i missed something, tights? in the diff? :/

Cheers for the replies guys.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:07 PM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

I think most of the diffs whine a bit, not a big problem IMHO. It may be worth listening to some other cars before perhaps spending money you don't need to.

Whereabouts are you in the UK? Perhaps we can find someone who can help.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:27 PM

Mine has also started to whine in the last few weeks. It started off a hissing noise almost but now has definitely got more of a whine.
Not sure what to do, I could wait until it fails completely, will this cause more damage? Or I can try find another diff from somewhere.
Currently saving for a wedding so can do without big expenses.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:08 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Mine did that. More like a whistling kettle at first.

Replacement diff started doing it after a year or so too.

Either always drive with the roof down, or fit a head unit that goes up to 11.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:16 AM

This is all good to hear, mine's got a ever so slight whine too. Wasn't sure if it was normal or not, but seems to be that it is. Nothing too bad at all, I probably only hear it because I'm listening out for things. Think I remember a similar noise from my old mx-5 too, maybe it's just a common thing with RWD?
Old 04-09-2014, 01:04 PM

Ok lovegroova,

Im near Stoke, just east, down the A50. Any body near me?

However i regularly travel to Oxford and Norwich.

Quick Reply: Diff Options - Its got a whine